Author Topic: Delta model 46-230 1948 or so  (Read 4818 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Delta model 46-230 1948 or so
« on: September 01, 2012, 05:20:03 PM »
Just unloaded one I got at a garage sale today. Came with the manual sheet, Indexing pulley, sanding disc plate and sanding table that mounts to the ways, both the 4" and longer tool rest, 8 delta and 1 Greenlee turning chisels, two face plates a face plate for grinding stone. original wrenches for banjo and chuck face plates. a live center, a spur drive, screw to tighten drill chuck, a Jacobs chuck, two antique dividers and calipers and 3 modern types, 3/4 hp reversing motor, bunch of old grinding wheels, And a pile of double end End mils in assorted sizes. Along with some misc. stuff and what I think is a plane blade sharpening holder by General.

Runs good on the speed it is set on, haven't changed the belt. It is set up to change from the from the front.

I have seen this lathe in the front of the the junkside of his garage for a couple of years when the door was open, going or coming from my parents house. He had it out about a year ago during a garage sale but no takers. He said that he was the second owner and he bought it from the original guys family. He used it once during the 8 years he has owned it. And he was hoping to move it out.
Anybody have one of these models and have any tips on it.

"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline 75Plus

Re: Delta model 46-230 1948 or so
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 09:33:27 AM »
Glen, you can find operating and maintenance instructions here:

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=1724

Here is a good place to find answers to any questions you might have about the lathe.

http://owwm.org/

Hope this helps,

Joe

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 09:41:38 AM »
It is a great site, I did have the paper fold out instructions for the lathe but some digging around on that site I did find the info sheet for the model sanding table. The also have some paper catalogs, company brochures for some other equipment, Buffalo pitts road rollers and assorted forges and the occasional steam and gas type engines. Thanks, for post it as I had forgotten to others on here will find it useful. :clap:  :clap: :thumbup: and if you have some interesting paper work they would like uploads too. I'm thinking of going through the piles I have  this winter.
 :dremel:

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 10:36:17 AM »
That is a great find Glen!!! I really like running that old stuff. Looks like a little steel wool and oil and you'll have that thing looking like new.

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 11:55:47 AM »
Yep for as old as it is, it hasn't seen much use. The guy I got it from said he used it one time, trying to stip some spindles of paint! I didn't say anything since every body has their own ideas on doing things  :lol: he said he had it 8 years, I know I have seen it when his garage door has been open in the same spot for close to that long  :lol: and he still has the two boxes of spindles with paint on all but the one he started to work on. I would have made a tray out of wood and plastic traps and filled it with chemical stripper and hosed them off then repeat if needed but that's just me!  :bugeye:

I hope to get it the basement in the next week or so right now it will be in the garage for now. :thumbup:

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen