Author Topic: Neat trick for cutting sheet goods on a good table/bench top!  (Read 4059 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Neat trick for cutting sheet goods on a good table/bench top!
« on: September 13, 2012, 08:10:23 PM »
While I was watching a video on another subject, they had a shot of the shop in the background was a 4x8 bench top that had a blue insulation sheet on top of it and what was left of a sheet of underlayment that was cut up leaving shallow cut lines in the foam. I thought it was a pretty slick idea since it will work on grass,gravel or concrete.
I tried it this morning and it worked a treat!  :clap: :thumbup: So I thought I'd pass it along, shallow cuts and you can use both sides. I generally have a two foot section on hand for other stuff.

"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Neat trick for cutting sheet goods on a good table/bench top!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 09:28:14 PM »
That is a great idea that most people are not aware of. Thanks for reminding us about it.

I used to use saw horses that had a piece of 2x6 for a top and a piece of 2" Styrofoam glued to the top. When using the skill saw or sabre saw you didn't have to worry about cutting into the saw horse.

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline PekkaNF

Re: Neat trick for cutting sheet goods on a good table/bench top!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 05:17:52 AM »
Jep and they are a real saver if you must cut big openings to fragile materials. Few months ago friend lugged a small countertop to my home and wanted me to open huge hole for a sink. Well, the opening was not huge, but the remaing parts were way under 40 mm on the side and far side. I put the counter top over blue foam insulation on trailler and proceed to cut the opening with plunge/rail saw, leaving just few small tabbs on corners. Then I screwed a board on the "waste" i.e. opening. The board was just a little bigger than hole to support the whole works together during assembly and in the end he had to cut the tabs and undo the board.

This would have been ofcourse a lot easier if he had everything ready and then asked me to cut the hole, but apparently it wasn't designed that way?

Pekka