Author Topic: Peck Drill  (Read 30119 times)

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
Peck Drill
« on: February 16, 2009, 09:23:16 PM »
Evening/Morning Everyone..

I figure I should start to chronicle this build, as its taking longer.. and is more involved.. and actually might be useful to others LOL.

The basis of the drill im making if from Ralphs peck drill he made, for doing tiny holes in things.
Mine is a bit larger, so I took his design, and used what I had available.. and sized things for my needs.. (I think)

I have some cad drawings I drew up basing things on Ralphs design.. but I have deviated a bit already.. so they are not really relevant anymore. LOL
Look at Ralphs video to see how its done correctly  :headbang:

In essence.. its based on a 1..75" diameter piece of Stainless.. with a steel shaft that is .65" that slides inside, and will ahve a handle the same as Ralphs did coming out the top.

Body of the peck drill

Facing it

Boring the Hole after Milling the slot (Video CLip to follow)

Turning the .75 Shaft down to .64. What a bear to get that damn thing true.. WOW. Now I know why they grind shafts.

Getting ready to round the shaft end.. (Yes John.. I DO get some little swirl marks from the cap screws.. I took this pic for you.. cause you had asked.  :thumbup: )

Video clip to follow.. will try to condense it some so its not forever long.
SPiN Racing

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Peck Drill
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 11:26:11 PM »
Added a Video!!!!

Yep made it up... tried to do a little.. something.. Nicer than the standard Grrrr machine noise.. machine part... stop video.

Anyhow here it is. (It it being processed as of 11:25 PM EST)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLTTpLa0q-I
SPiN Racing

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 02:30:56 AM »
Great Job Scot  :thumbup:

You get a great buzz when you use a home made tool to make more tools, as they say tools make tools. :whip:

Enjoyed the video  :clap: I'll have to get to grips with that skill. I think I'll nominate yours for a Mad Modder Oscar. :ddb:

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 03:25:57 AM »
Nice!  Glad the drawings were of some use!..... It looks like your getting there pretty quickly to me  :dremel:

Stainless too!!! You like to have fun then!  :bugeye: 

I never took video of my build, just a few photo's (I wasn't on any forums when I built it  :(.....  :)  )

So Stew.... This guys  :ddb:  name is officially  M.M.Oscar then? Sounds like a rapper!!!    :lol:   Still..... Think it might stick!?

Looking forward to seeing the rest Scott  :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 03:55:53 AM »
Nice one Scot!  :clap:

I enjoyed that.....  :thumbup:
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 04:43:20 AM »
Yes Scot, enjoyed it here too.

Thanks for taking the video as well, it's great to see what and how others are doing these projects.
Looks like you are getting to where you want to be...... :wave:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 05:31:36 AM »
Good bit of machining Spin, keep it going.

:ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Three nana's worth for that one.

John

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 09:33:21 AM »
Very nice SPiN. I see you've got maching down pretty good. :thumbup:

By the way I've got lite I'll sell ya'. :D

Hey Bog's, great idea. Instead of Karma's we'll hand out "Nana's". 1 to 5, 5 being the best, or should the number go higher?  :D

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

bogstandard

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 01:01:56 PM »
No Bernd,

Methinks the 'karma' idea would be a bad move.

Competition like that can easily cause bad feeling. Especially where a newbie works his guts out, makes a few mistakes and gets no recognition, when someone with years of experience, creates masterpieces every week, and the whole population thinks the sun shines out of you know where, and gets so much karma, he thinks he can walk on water.

:ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

It was my mistake, I should have just said 'GREAT JOB'.

John

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 01:39:39 PM »
Bah.  It doesn't matter a bit.  Look at HMEM: you'll see I have 4 karma, and some of the guys over there doing superb work have one or none. 

Anyone that takes stuff like that seriously probably isn't the type to enjoy the banter here anyway.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

bogstandard

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 01:56:03 PM »
R,

Look at HMEM

'nuf said

Bogs

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 04:22:33 PM »
Yup, bad idea. Forget I even mentioned that. Must have been a senior moment there.

Guess I need a couple of  :wack: :wack: and a few  :hammer:  :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: to straighten me out.

:lol:            :lol:               :lol:
But then the wife said that's impossible to do.

I think she's right.

But wait, what's this got to do with "Peck Drill". Dang I've gone  :offtopic: again. :wack:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 04:45:10 PM »
Thanks so much guys

And no I am not letting any of this type of thing go to my head, nor have my feelings hurt! I learned long long ago, there is always someone better, richer, smarter, etc etc. So get over it and do your best. Its all you can do. I think I have decades of hands on work to hold a candle to things I see here LOL.
Then again.. my friends at the race shop.. nothing they make on the tools looks anything like what we do here.. But it does its job on the race cars really well. /shrug

But I do have to say, I have been showing them some of the things I have done, and or am doing.. and I see the gears churning upstairs...  :clap: I think step 2 is to get the one owner onto the site.  :mmr:

I see so much of your work, and have to show my wife, and or boys, and I am genuinely impressed. And its not the bling.. its not the shiny finished product.. just seeing the mechanisms work.. thats the thing to me. All the different ways of going about things.

The file maker for example!! I never thought of how they are made.. but.. the entire thing has my mind reeling.. from the hammer, to the chisel, to the way he does it. Mind boggling.

I figure I will put things up here so that it may help someone else out like you all have me. I read all these posts, and see the snippets of projects.. and it really helps me take a look at things. Gives me a lot of options on how to do things, and or how to do things more efficiently, or less efficiently.. but more accurately.

Its Tuesday.. working working working. More updates this weekend!!  (I might have to go visit the Holy Grail and make my handle from stainless instead of the mild steel I was gonna use... and I might actually need to get a bit of brass for a ball on the end :P
SPiN Racing

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 08:06:02 PM »
Looking good! So now I am going to sound daft... what's it going to do? I realize peck drilling, but how is it going to work? Anxiously awaiting the results of this one. Nice machining so far.

On a OT side note... Karma will never be here. I don't like it. No reason for it. Everyone here knows they are important (if they don't, they should). This place is not a popularity contest... there is enough cr@p we deal with in real life, don't need it here.

Back on topic!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 12:29:00 AM »
He he he

Remember the really Odd 5/8-16 Tap I had to get?? Well thats for the MT-2 Arbor I have to mount the larger portion in the tailstock.
The shaft that slides into the hole will be machined to have a shaft connect to it and stick up out of the milled slot.
On the end of the shaft (It will be cut down) I will cut a Taper in it to mount a Drill Chuck.
Make a pivot for the shaft sticking up out of the milled slot.. and voila... you slap it in the tailstock and then move the arm to extend the drill chuck towards your work.

Dont have CoC installed on this PC so I found a different freeware version....

SPiN Racing

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 01:59:57 AM »

AH!........  :scratch:      YES!!!!  :thumbup:

NOW I understand.........   ::)

Nice one! I really like that.......   :headbang:

David.
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 03:35:07 AM »
Looking good! So now I am going to sound daft... what's it going to do? I realize peck drilling, but how is it going to work? Anxiously awaiting the results of this one

I'm saying nothing!    ::)

Fatter American clone ehh??!!   :lol:   

Suppose the secwet is out now Scott   :doh:      :lol:

Where's the next vid?  :poke:  :poke:

Ralph.

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 07:19:55 PM »
HA HA HA HA HA

Well I have been working now.. for (looks at clock) 26 Hours with a break for 6 hours for sleep. (I worked late on a conversion to new software project)
After another 8 or 9 hours this work week will be done. (Monday was a Holiday)

THEN I can start on the project once again... (Of course.. this is after I hopefully pick up my new tool Thursday..  :ddb: (And yes there will be some pics) )

And I dunno.. it might be only the shows I watch.. well. Ok it prolly is.  I always hear the Brits on the TV shows I see refer to the Americans as basically.. Fat Cowboys. Sorta the stereotype. Not just in the traditional sense.. but more of the lifestyle, and mannerisms. And I have to agree.. a LOT of Americans are that way. Not bashing... just... /shrug How it is.
Its like describing how Americans have bastardised the English language into a muddle.
Brits dont pronounce Vowels..  cour=Car (crusty snooty British accent Im picturing)
Auzzies Over emphasise vowels.   cAh= Car (Cocky Auzzie Accent)
Americans.. well we wouldnt call it a car. It would be a ride, dub, hooptie, sled, jalopie, "name of the car", "brand of the car". and just about anything BUT calling it a car.
BUT... when we do say it.. it would be more like KaR=car

Watch some older Top gear.. I get a kick out of the trip to America.. when they went to Miami to buy used cars. I wouldnt have gone into more than HALF the neighborhoods they went into.
Jeremy makes fun of us Americans wanting cheese on everything.

gah  :offtopic:
SPiN Racing

bogstandard

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 11:50:15 PM »
Just thought I would point out Spin.

One of your holes will require to be a slot, otherwise you will get a mechanical lock. That is because the bottom pin hole in the lever is in fact swinging thru an arc, if the top pin in the operating handle is fixed.

Have a look at the genuine C-o-C sketch below, nothing like your pirated Crap-o-Line piccy.

Bogs

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 12:52:39 AM »
Top gear in America..... Was funny (although mostly staged I think?) ..... Not too sure about the bit with the "boys" in the pick up with the bats and rocks though?? Would they really get that upset? ... Anyway well   :offtopic:   so.......

Just thought I would point out Spin.

One of your holes will require to be a slot, otherwise you will get a mechanical lock. That is because the bottom pin hole in the lever is in fact swinging thru an arc, if the top pin in the operating handle is fixed.

Have a look at the genuine C-o-C sketch below, nothing like your pirated Crap-o-Line piccy.

Bogs

If Scott has read my drawing John I hope he knew that bit already  :scratch:  ...... Nice spot :thumbup:  I never saw it  ::)     :doh:

Isn't it an offence to pirate Crap-o-Cad?  ...... You may not be able to enter this country without being arrestetd Scott!!!??  :bugeye:     :)

Ralph.

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 05:39:38 PM »
Oh Yes.. part of the plan.. but thank you for pointing it out :)

I didnt draw it on the picture as it was a bit off to begin with so I just skipped it LOL...

I need to go out in the garage and get cracking on things. BUt checking the board before I go out LOL...

And my damn Taps have not gotten here yet!!!  grr.

Guess I need to pester the seller.  :poke:
SPiN Racing

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 05:37:53 AM »
Update time!

Ok sooo I worked on the handle tonight.. Only had a couple hours to play.

I tapped the top of the handle in 1/2-20... why? just because.. no real reason on that thread, other than it was a finer thread than the others in the generic tap set I had.

So here we go..

Turned the .625 hex bar down some so I could tap it.
But as its a bit larger diameter.. and the tap was taking some.. torque on it.. the cheap cast holder... well..... you can see the result.
Guess I need to get my ass in gear on the Die Holder project.... BUt I will need the peck drill for the die holder.. LOL.

Judicious use of a 1" wrench.. and all was better.

Not so bad... I think.

Rounding the hex bar.

Ball turner with the cutter reversed.. and kicked way out.. I didnt measure it.. but its way out there. I am thinking its a good 2.25 inches from center, if not 2.5 inches.
The end result is a very smooth curved cut that is very gentle.
BTW.. the cutter holder I made.. REALLY came in handy with the extended legs on it.. as I was able to move it way out and still have all 4 screws lock it in place securely.
I have video of it in use.. but need to compile a clip from the activities. (its late just posting for now)

End result of the 4 Cuts...

Complete handle cuts.. minus the ball (need to buy some brass) and minus the cuts for the slot

A interesting problem.. I had to tackle.. and didnt know how to.. so I guessed.. and it didnt work as good as I would like.. so I will need to learn a better method for this.
The round bar.. has a slot cut.
I had to cut it deeper.. and needed to re-mount it in the vice.
SO I put it on the parallels.. got it to the right height.
Then I put a round bar in the mill.. and lowered it into the slot.. and then ran the cross slide till the part was touching the rod. Then rotated it till it was flush.. and snugged the vice.. then re-checked.. and locked it down.
As it turns out it was off in the bottom by 1/16 or so of an inch. AKA the bar stock was rotated slightly.
Suggestions on how to do that would be greatly appreciated.... it exceeds my machining experience.

Tomorrow after getting the brass for the knob, a block of metal to make tool holders for the QCTP, and a bar to queue up for some die holders.  and the new tool.. and hopefully a dovetail mill...  :proj:
I will try to get in there and get more done.

See generic American COC to follow...
SPiN Racing

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 06:00:16 AM »
Ok here is the idea for the re-located pivot.

Adds some work.. but allows some more strength in the assembly. And also will allow some additional stroke to make sure I utilise the entire range of the slot.. (yes I already calculated the pivot points and the stroke for the thing.. and it will go max length... Anyhow... Input always welcome.

If its overkill.. lemme know! LOL
SPiN Racing

bogstandard

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 06:21:39 AM »
No piccy Spin, so can't help on that one.
 :worthless:

Bogs

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2009, 02:51:01 PM »

Is is possible for me to get a copy of Diveded he ads plans?

Ron