Author Topic: Tractor  (Read 6935 times)

Offline Scuba1

Tractor
« on: September 21, 2012, 11:20:57 AM »
A little yanmar story. As some of you know, I am staying with a friend in PA at the moment after having sailed to the cessapeak from the UK about 6 weeks ago. Now he has an old tractor that had not been moved since a walnut tree fell onto it 12 years ago. To give you an idea of what the situation looked like, when I found that little gem, well A lot of scrap got pile up around it, it had a new walnut tree growing up through the chassis, moss growing on the remnants of the seat and engine block. the copper in the wireing was a nice shade of gren / blue. Well ye get the picture. I started to haul the scrap to the yard where it belonged and dug the olt tractor out . The neighbour was mowing his lawn on his new Kubota mower and came over asking me if I was going to break the thing down for scrap as well and at that moment a little devil on my should gave me a nudge and I said I was getting it ready to race him for the pink slip of that Kubota. He left laughing and shaking his head and I was stuck with a bit of a project. After having taken the rocker cover off and having a look inside the engine I thought I was in with a chance. Six hours of spannering around on it and rigging bits of wire, I had the old girl runnig and drove her out of the hole with her flat tyres and to the back of the garage. I did not have any new diesel so just draines the tank untill it looked more like fuel then water and hit the starter. A few seconds of coughing up a bit of black smoke the thing ran like clock work on the 12 year old vintage tuck tuck juice still left in the tank. The neighbour is getting worried now I think. Next task is to give the mow deck a once over and she will be good to go. I have since driven the old girl up into the woods and hauled a few trees down for fire wood without so much as a hick up. I did change all the oils on it since and shot at it with a grease gun, rewu=ired the esential bit, so it starts without using a hammer to bridge the contacts etc.
Diesel engines, ye just can't beat them.

She still ain't pretty but runs like clock work

ATB
Michael

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Tractor
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 12:08:11 PM »
Michael

Glad to see that you are finding thing to do and keep out of trouble. Nice work on resurrecting that lawn tractor from the scrap pile.

If you want a challenge here is one for you. Unfortunately it is over in Redkey, Indiana

Rusted, Plumb Busted & Plain Wore Out  © 2007 by Robert E Pence
This may take more than an afternoon as he doesn't want the tree damaged.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 12:11:32 PM »
I would but it has a petrol engine in it and I am better with diesels.  :) :) :)

Offline BiggerHammer

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 10:04:11 AM »
Got to love the durability of the Yanmar diesel tractors. Purchased a used one several years back. Only issue i had when i bought it was water and leaves in the fuel supply. How the leaves got in past the filter screen has me stumped. Bought it for cheap and after a few hours work had myself a well running tractor that came with a finishing mower attachment. A little light for some of what I do but it will pull a 4ft. box blade.

dsquire, A pity that that truck is way beyond my abilities to repair. I am curious though, what is the beastie behind the truck? The engine with the flywheel?

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 08:39:22 PM »
Got to love the durability of the Yanmar diesel tractors. Purchased a used one several years back. Only issue i had when i bought it was water and leaves in the fuel supply. How the leaves got in past the filter screen has me stumped. Bought it for cheap and after a few hours work had myself a well running tractor that came with a finishing mower attachment. A little light for some of what I do but it will pull a 4ft. box blade.

dsquire, A pity that that truck is way beyond my abilities to repair. I am curious though, what is the beastie behind the truck? The engine with the flywheel?

BiggerHammer

I have no idea exactly what it is but here is the link to more pictures from the same place that picture was taken from. That picture was near the end if I recall.
http://urbanindiana.com/in_mauzy/in_mauzy.html

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline BiggerHammer

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 09:03:50 PM »
Thanks for the link. It appears to be a front on view of a steam powered tractor. Curiosity satisfied.  :thumbup: