Author Topic: My Shop (garage)  (Read 4535 times)

Offline Markz

My Shop (garage)
« on: October 09, 2012, 07:34:07 PM »
Hi Everyone

I said in my intro I'd post up some pics of my new chinese lathe and I thought I post up some of my workbench too. The workbench is the product of a lot of thought and a fair amount of effort and I'm pretty happy with the result. It was designed for both woodwork and metalwork although it's sometimes difficult to do both without sawdust getting into bearings or swarf getting in to grain and ruining a finish!

It's based on a John White design (one of the contributors to Fine Woodworking) and incorporates an engineers vice too for the metal work. The engineers vice hinges down out of the way when I'm working with large panels or frames. I have a wood working vice at the other corner and plenty of drawers and cupboards.

Pretty much all the clamping is accomplished with pipe clamps. On the other side to the vices I have a sliding beam on which I can put door, panels, etc to plane along the long edge. The pieces are wedged into a wooden wedge piece at the left end. The height is adjustable using to pipe clamp fittings that the beam sits on.

On top of the bench insert panels can be removed and pipe clamp fittings swiveled up to clamp short or long pieces on the bench top (same job as bench dogs).

On the same side as the beam are side clamps for securing pieces that are on the beam but need to be held tight rather than in the wedge.

On one end I have a clamp rail to store some of my clamps and at the other end I have a router mounted underneath so I can clamp a fence on the top and use it for a router table.

It sits on swivel castors so I can move it around the garage.

I hope it's of interest.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: My Shop (garage)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 05:52:17 AM »
Hi Mark.
A lot of forethought has gone into that workbench!  :smart:

I'm sure it will be a good friend for life.  Well done!  :clap: :clap:

Thanks for showing. :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!