Author Topic: Alternative to recirculating ballscrews.  (Read 7654 times)

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
Alternative to recirculating ballscrews.
« on: October 11, 2012, 04:03:53 AM »
These uses a "normal" pitched thread instead of a acme thread. And makes use of smaller rollers that mates with the main axle thread.
They are driven by small gears on the ends of the rollers and indexes by that means. Im guessing the gearing ratio must be similar to a planetary calculation for correct turning of the rollers against the thread on the leadscrew.. Anyways..These are actually manageable to make on your own rather than the ballscrews that is a damn hassle (have tried).
See video below.

EDIT:
And well i found an old clip in my saved files that i think will add to this little idea nicely; this is the homemade version i guess. =)
[ Invalid YouTube link ]
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 04:30:33 AM by NeoTech »
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Alternative to recirculating ballscrews.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 07:26:06 AM »
Nothing showing for me in the pictures - just a blank space
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 08:21:03 AM »
The videos show up fine for me.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 11:45:45 AM »
Is it actually a non-backlash system, or just a way of gearing down a leadscrew?

Andrew - the "pictures" are youtube links, codes oMd7Lqian48 and iPkoGug-oC0 for top & bottom ones respectively.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 01:28:39 PM »
Its actually a linear leadscrew, its a replacement for ballscrews according to SKFs homepage. It can do both finer resolutions and more coarse resolution then an ordinary acme screw. And it can do it on a normal metric pitch thread..
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 04:10:19 PM »
Is it actually a non-backlash system, or just a way of gearing down a leadscrew?

Andrew - the "pictures" are youtube links, codes oMd7Lqian48 and iPkoGug-oC0 for top & bottom ones respectively.

Yes I appreciate that - I was just getting a lined box with no active areas, but strangely now they show normally. How odd as nothing has changed on my pc.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 05:16:28 PM »
There's a very very long thread about these on cnczone:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/linear_rotary_motion/13593-different_better_kind_screw.html

(including my own small contribution as fitted to my drill/mill ):

Bill

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 03:24:39 AM »
Billtodd, extremly cool to see someone actually made one.. Even if its a different design.. But very cool, i will do an attempt at creating on as well but with that planetary design i need a smaller nut.. =)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 04:27:16 AM »
That's the problem with these alternative designs - the nuts are always bigger.

Also whilst it's cool to make it yourself you are limited to using soft components so the subsequent wear will soon out weigh any cost saving if there were any in the first place.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 05:19:43 AM »
Oh, i have aquired an induction furnace a while back, controlled hardening isnt a big issue. Its more a question of getting the fuse to hold for the furnace ;D

I will prob. try to make the roller out of toolsteel and harden them if i try this.. first attempt will prob be bronze though. But yeah, size is a problem. Although Bill's solution is neat and works well for a saddle on a medium sized bench machine i dont think i would be able to fit a solution like that on my BF20 mini mill.. But i have a winter of car building standstill experiments shall be made. =)