Author Topic: Hydraulic engineering vice milling  (Read 3794 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Hydraulic engineering vice milling
« on: February 18, 2009, 07:27:42 AM »
Hi,

Can someone please tell me what a Hydraulic engineering vice is, does it open & close by hydraulics, i.e. you need a pump etc, or does it mean you tighten it by hand as normal and there are hydraulics inside that do the clamping....

Confused Darren  :scratch:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Hydraulic engineering vice milling
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 08:47:02 AM »
That sounds about right.

We used air clamp vises were I worked. Same pricipal. Release air, clamp opened, you removed the part, put in the next part and then applied air to clamp part. One thing though, keep fingers well out of the way when clamping.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 10:25:41 AM »
Darren,

I think the hydraulic vices you are on about actually apply more pressure at the final clamping stage.

I have seen them used, but never had the pleasure to use one.

What the chap did was to tighten up as normal, then the final act was to wack the handle with a soft hammer. That brought the internal hydraulics into play that put massive clamping pressure on the part being machined. Much more than can be achieved with normal manual clamping, even by tapping the handle with a hammer.

I don't think that sort of clamping is required in the sort of work we do, unless you are taking off a full width 1" depth of cut.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 11:53:37 AM »
Thanks for the clarification guys, I was just unsure how the hydraulics came into play. Seems there are two types.
Don't think I'll be needing one though, was just curious.... :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)