Author Topic: Noga DI/DTI holder  (Read 5353 times)

Offline Mustang

Noga DI/DTI holder
« on: February 23, 2009, 01:58:43 AM »
I am trying to decide which Noga holder to purchase, the one with the fine adjustment on top or the one with the fine adjustment on the base. :bang:  Does anyone use this holder (Noga #DG61003) and if so which do you have and why was that your choice? Other holders that I have used, e.g. el cheap O's, just don't have the stability I would like and the fine adjustment is a joke. :(  All comments greatly appreciated. :D

Andy

bogstandard

Re: Noga DI/DTI holder
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 02:33:48 AM »
Andy,

I use a Chinese clone of the Noga you are on about (about 20% of the cost), and find it very satisfactory, but not perfect. Maybe the Noga one has a much finer adjustment screw.

With regards to base or head adjustment, both have their own negative effects.

For the base adjustment, because of the large moment effect of the arm, even a tiny adjustment on the base is multiplied greatly by the time it reaches the head.

With the head mounted adjustment, because it is on the end of a long arm, if you got the shakes, it is very difficult to make a super fine adjustment.

I never use a clock gauge, but a DTI with a swing tip, and almost always use the machine to do the very fine adjustments.

Not really what you were after, but it does give you a bit of an insight.

John

Offline Mustang

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 11:48:21 AM »
John

Thanks for the information. Gives me more info to consider. May I ask where you got your clone so that I can take a look?   :thumbup:

Andy

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 02:16:35 PM »
Not much to see Andy,

The top one on here.

http://rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/__MAGNETIC_BASES.html

It is honestly the easiest type of stand I have ever used, slacken off the big middle nut, adjust where you want the head then tighten up the nut. Fine tune on the DTI holding head. They also do a mini version, last one on the same page.

I think a lot of places call them an hydraulic DTI stand.

I have seen the big ones as low as 20 bucks on American sites.

John