Author Topic: computer operating system  (Read 17905 times)

Offline redshift

computer operating system
« on: December 10, 2012, 07:50:22 AM »
I have a 2 week old laptop with windows 7 operating system, I am about to buy my lad a new desktop for xmas.
I have my eye on a unit that is well priced but comes without an operating system installed, would I be able to just copy win7 from my laptop and load it onto his?
Regards
Dave

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
Re: computer operating system
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 08:12:41 AM »
1. That wouldn't work.
2. That would contravene the licensing agreement

If you want free, go for a Linux (loads around to choose from).    If Windows is needed (e.g. for games), then you will have to pay out to be legal.  There should be good deals available on Win7 now Win8 is out...

Offline redshift

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 08:43:52 AM »
David, Thanks for the reply, I will do as you say.
Regards
Dave

Offline Jo

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
If you have an old windows machine, you can transfer that operating system to the new machine (deleting the old one) and then buy the windows 8 upgrade for £25.

Jo
So many engines to build and yet so little time.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 12:56:09 PM »
Jo - have you tried windows 8 yet  :zap:

Offline bhowden

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 02:09:09 PM »
>>>>Have you tried Windows 8

Yes.  There were certainly a few days of "What the hell have they done, this is nuts!!!" but I did get used to it and don't mind it now.  I was very surprised to find that it was actually quicker on old tired hardware.

Brian

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 05:20:23 PM »
Strictly speaking, a Windows 7 license permits you to load up to three computers with the same 'COA' number - (certainly this is true for Win 7 Professional). You need the original disk though.

Not sure though if this would apply if the machines were actually owned by different people eg you and your son.

BTW most reports of Win 8 I've heard refer to it as alike " My First Operating System" ie totally dumbed down with kiddy like chunky buttons etc.

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 05:41:01 PM »
We have windows 8 on a machine at work  :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:
I run windows 7 at home :D :D :D :D
But xp pro is the one to beat  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 02:44:32 AM »
Unfortunately, new software from some vendors will soon no longer support WinXP !  Not sure if this will mean 'not tested on XP, may work' or if it will mean 'will not work on XP'.

Just something to be aware of.

Offline DavidA

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 06:23:29 AM »
Dave
(redshift)

It is true that the three machines licence only applies to machines owned by you.

But didn't I hear somewhere that the machine your son has is actually owned by you and is only on loan to him ?

Don't know if it needs to be in the same building as the others.

Dave :thumbup:

p.s.  Having hideous problems with XP on my main machine.

Offline redshift

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 06:34:09 AM »
DavidA, I understand your point and will look into it, also thanks to the knowledge base on here I will also look at the old laptop and desktops I have kicking around and possibly upgrade one of them. I only need to upgrade to Win7 as I don't think Win 8 will suit our needs at present.
Once again, thanks guys for all your input.
Regards
Dave

Offline Jo

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 08:16:23 AM »
Win 7 is three times the price of Win 8... I wonder why  :hammer:

Jo
So many engines to build and yet so little time.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 08:57:32 AM »

BTW most reports of Win 8 I've heard refer to it as alike " My First Operating System" ie totally dumbed down with kiddy like chunky buttons etc.

Interestingly, the same accusations were leveled at Windows XP when it came out (It was accused of looking a lot like Teletubbies. Ironic it went on to be MS's most successful OS...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 12:52:56 PM »
I reckon Windows 2000 Professional was actually the best - brought through all the goodies from NT4. Shame loads of stuff won't run on it :(

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline trevoratxtal

• Torbay, South Devon, England
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 01:13:24 PM »
In my judgement after fixing and upgrading hundreds of machines (over the years)  for out local club members and family.
Is if you must have Windows stick to XP it is the most stable and most if not all bugs are now sorted, and yes due to expire soon.
Or go for Linux and forget a lot of your computer woes, I find PCLinuxOS(  http://www.pclinuxos.com/ )the easiest to install and maintain.
The learning curve is not to bad, the standard KDE ver is similar to Windows but comes with Hundreds of free software.
Mint and Puppy are good for small installs, but do not use any Ubuntu versions as they contain spy software that slows the system and sends personal information to South Africa not unlike Windows.
There that is my personal opinion.
Trev

Offline DavidA

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 03:08:40 PM »
Trevor,

...but do not use any Ubuntu versions as they contain spy software that slows the system and sends personal information to South Africa not unlike Windows....

I've heard this before, (about XP) and have refrained from downloading the updates for my XP since being made aware.

Can you tell us how to find out if the spy programs are part of the instalation. Which files should I be looking for ?

Dave

Offline mattinker

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 03:47:13 PM »

...but do not use any Ubuntu versions as they contain spy software that slows the system and sends personal information to South Africa not unlike Windows....

Dave, can you give your sources for this extraordinary allegation?

Regards, Matthew (who uses nothing but Ubuntu!)

Offline trevoratxtal

• Torbay, South Devon, England
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 01:20:16 AM »
To follow up on the spyware
for Ubuntu.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/07/stallman_on_ubuntu_spyware/
Search Ubuntu Spy on Google.
As for Windows it started with services pack 2 on XP and has been in all versions since and can not easily be taken out.
Not only does such software open a back door to virus's but is intrusive for profit.
Trev

Offline mattinker

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 06:37:15 AM »
Thanks Dave,

I'm running 10.04, apparently, the change comes in with 12.10, so I won't move on to that! It'll be another Linux distribution, not 12.10 that I'll go to next!

Thanks again, Matthew

Offline jiihoo

• Finland - Northern Europe
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 07:25:33 AM »
Regarding the Ubuntu search (Home Lens) controversy: Reading the following post after the Stallman post linked to earlier might be worthwhile: http://www.jonobacon.org/2012/12/07/on-richard-stallman-and-ubuntu/. As always, there are two sides to everything.

My own thoughts about this subject:
Was it a good idea by Canonical to include internet & Amazon results to Ubuntu local searches: me thinks not.
Did they fix the issue after feedback from the users: me thinks yes as it is now configurable.
Is this a strong enough reason to "shun away from Ubuntu" and throw away all the good with the bad: me thinks not.

It seems like this issue provoked pretty strong reactions from various people on the net and the matter got blown maybe a little out of proportion. A little bit less "enthusiastic" treatment of the subject might have been better for the open source community.

But do read both of the links and google the issue and form your own opinion.

Cheers,

Jari

Offline mattinker

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 09:49:34 AM »
Jari,

thanks, I've done some additional searching and reading since I replied to this thread. This started in October of 2012 and has subsequently been made "switch off able" which means that it's still there until you stop it. I haven't seen the OS 12.10 yet, but I shall be following things very closely.

I hope this isn't going to frighten away potential users as the Free software principal is important.

Regards, Matthew

Offline jgroom

• Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 01:59:16 PM »
Well I've been using 12.10 since it came out and as of yet I've had no South African carpet-baggers show up at my door.  :loco:  But seriously, all of the 'free' software services (yahoo, google, bing, facebook, etc.) have been data-mining it's users for years regardless of your OS.  There's nothing free without someone making a profit.

OK, now I've depressed myself.  :palm:

Cheers  :beer:

Jeff

Offline mattinker

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 07:02:52 AM »
Jeff,

from what I've read, this was introduced in October 2012, so if you've been using an earlier version and haven't updated it you're not concerned by it!

Regards, Matthew

Offline hopefuldave

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 09:50:22 AM »
I'm going to second the "XP if you need Windows"!

Anything after XP (Vista onwards) has, I believe, Digital Rights Management built in - it's intended to "prevent" media piracy but I found it wouldn't let me use my "racket room" PC any more when I tried to upgrade!

It objected to the audio inputs and outputs being 24-bit instead of 16 (so up to "professional" pirate standard), the fact my PC had 16 channels each of full-duplex inputs and outputs, and the fact I didn't have DRM licences for music *I had made myself*. It locked the machine down to 2 16-bit inputs and 2 16-bit outputs as the hardware wasn't on the "approved" list.

After making enquiries, I found Microshaft would sell me a licence to play / record *my own* music, but the price made me faint...

I went back to XP Pro, and stuck with old, stable software...

Most of the XP "updates" which will be cut off soon are for known Microsoft-authored vulnerabilities to viruses etc., not really an issue for a machine that's kept off-line (e.g. home studio, CAD/CAM machines that sit in quiet isolation Doing A Job). 

Just my ha'pennorth,
Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 11:10:06 AM »
Have to agree with Dave  I don't believe Vista/Win7/Win8 etc. have made add anything positive to windows (the last great leap being NT4/2K IMHO)

With Linux (Ubuntu) adding all sorts of unwanted crap to an otherwise fine O/S it make me wonder where to go when MS finally push* us off XP

Bill

*MS seem to do this by issuing new compilers to software developers. The new compilers create code that simply won't run on what MS consider to be obsolete O/Ss
Bill