Author Topic: structural black smithing - annealing vs quenching?  (Read 4437 times)

Offline sebwiers

structural black smithing - annealing vs quenching?
« on: December 18, 2012, 01:21:19 PM »
I've decided on a motorcycle fork design that uses some black smithing elements (twisted hex rod) for my Hossack project.  There will obviously be some welding as well.  I'm wondering if quenching is a BAD idea for this, assuming I can't properly heat the whole thing as a unit for annealing (which maybe I can do).  Being able to quench would speed up my work process a lot, but I don't want to make the structure brittle.  Is that even an issue with low carbon steel?  If its not an issue, is there still a benefit to annealing the whole unit once I'm done working on it?

Offline rschilp

Re: structural black smithing - annealing vs quenching?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 01:49:08 PM »
Yes anneal and tension relieve it.

Uniformly heating and quenching a large part like that as a blacksmith does (one of my more active occupations) is almost impossible unless you have a big furnace and blast cooler.

You (almost) always will introduce heat and cooling differences along the long part that will cause strength issues.

So yes, anneal and tension relieve it after you complete fabrication.

Offline sebwiers

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 02:12:15 PM »
Hmm, alrighty.  If I can, I think my plan for annealing would be to put the parts in an electric ceramics kiln, and then pull them while hot an bury in dry sand.  Sound like that would do the job?

Offline mattinker

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 05:41:48 PM »
If you can switch off and leave them in the Kiln to cool that would be better than putting them in sand. In the Kiln they will cool more slowly than putting them in sand.

Regards, Matthew

Offline sebwiers

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 08:36:39 PM »
Of course, do it the simple way.  Works for the pots...