Author Topic: Minneapolis Twin Cities Maker / Hack Factory  (Read 4141 times)

Offline sebwiers

Minneapolis Twin Cities Maker / Hack Factory
« on: December 22, 2012, 08:20:53 PM »
Since there's a section for it, figured I'd post some info about "my" shop.  Twin Cities Maker is a 501(3c) that operates a space called "The Hack Factory", where they provide tools and education to the community.  I joined recently ($55 a month) and get 24/7 access to the space.  They have a pretty big (but inconsistent) range of equipment, much of it open to use by any member, some which they require you take a class before you use it.  I recently completed the welding class, so can use any of the 3 mig welders, plasma cutter, tig welder, or ox-ace rigs.  The metal shop also has a (open use to) couple chops saws, a horizontal band saw, couple bench grinders / sanders / buffers, small angle grinders, anvil, vices, etc.

Next week I'm geting set up on the laser cutter / engraver.  There's also a large vertical Bridgeport mill and a nice metal lathe that I plan to learn to use.

http://www.tcmaker.org

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
Re: Minneapolis Twin Cities Maker / Hack Factory
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 12:11:05 AM »
Sounds like a great place to spend some time. Better than a gym and probably cheaper. Lucky you living nearby.

Jim

Offline terrywerm

Re: Minneapolis Twin Cities Maker / Hack Factory
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 04:40:45 PM »
I live just southwest of the Twin Cities and never knew that such a place existed, but I am glad to hear of it. I already have my own equipment and shop space but membership is tempting simply for training and access to the laser cutter/engraver. Something like that would be excellent for making nameplates and various other odd things.
Terry

Making chips with old machines