Author Topic: 110V 230V 1 Phase Motor question.  (Read 5408 times)

Offline ieezitin

110V 230V 1 Phase Motor question.
« on: December 31, 2012, 10:09:07 AM »
Lads

I have a 12” Atlas 42” and the original motor took a little poo.  No probs, I over the years I snatched one up at an auction anticipating this day, I wired it on the bench and found the rotation was wrong so I followed the little note on the plate that read “ to change rotation swop the red wire with the white wire, and move the ground to L2 if thermally protected”.

Did that all accept the ground L2 thing. There is no L2 tab so I left it as it was. I plugged it in and it runs perfectly, so!! Now I am running the machine and I started to turn down a piece of 1” bar and I noticed the spindle slow and strain, perplexed I started to play with it, then I stuck a piece of wood levered from the bed and rubbed it to the side of the chuck to apply some resistance, as I applied more pressure to the chuck the motor “clicked” and lost power, right at that time I let off with the wood block the motor  “clicked” again and went to full speed and power. Pissed me off!!.   :bang:

BTW I am running on 110V Power

Any thoughts?

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline John Rudd

Re: 110V 230V 1 Phase Motor question.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 10:33:51 AM »
Lads

I have a 12” Atlas 42” and the original motor took a little poo.  No probs, I over the years I snatched one up at an auction anticipating this day, I wired it on the bench and found the rotation was wrong so I followed the little note on the plate that read “ to change rotation swop the red wire with the white wire, and move the ground to L2 if thermally protected”.

Did that all accept the ground L2 thing. There is no L2 tab so I left it as it was. I plugged it in and it runs perfectly, so!! Now I am running the machine and I started to turn down a piece of 1” bar and I noticed the spindle slow and strain, perplexed I started to play with it, then I stuck a piece of wood levered from the bed and rubbed it to the side of the chuck to apply some resistance, as I applied more pressure to the chuck the motor “clicked” and lost power, right at that time I let off with the wood block the motor  “clicked” again and went to full speed and power. Pissed me off!!.   :bang:

BTW I am running on 110V Power

Any thoughts?

Anthony.

Sounds like an induction motor that has been wired wrong with the start/run windings mixed up

The clicking noise sounds like the centrifugal switch operating....

Got a picture of the wiring before/after?
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 12:42:56 PM »
John here are some photos....... Photobucket have been up to there tricks again and balls me all up again on how to download pics.  hope the works.

This is the set up after i read the plate.

This is what it was like before i touched it.

This is on the plate that covers the wires.

this is on the outside of the motor.

This is the whole kit and kaboodle...

Thank you for helping me..

Anthony.

Offline 9fingers

• Info on Induction motors (Heavily UK based!)
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 09:01:59 AM »
I wonder if it is wired up in 230v mode rather than 110v??

If so that would be giving you roughly 1/4 power - not enough to turn the skin off a rice pudding.

Bob

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 10:24:56 AM »
If it is wired up cockeyed can anyone tell by the pictures? Do you need better pictures?

Anthony

Offline 9fingers

• Info on Induction motors (Heavily UK based!)
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 10:42:50 AM »
Just follow the diagram on the plate for 110v and then if the direction is wrong then swap as instructed.

The connection of Blue to 5 ought to tell you that the current set up is wrong.

Note that ground line in American motor speak means neutral on the eastern side of the pond.

Good Luck

Bob

Offline sdezego

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 03:30:36 PM »
 :proj:
Just follow the diagram on the plate for 110v and then if the direction is wrong then swap as instructed.

The connection of Blue to 5 ought to tell you that the current set up is wrong.

Note that ground line in American motor speak means neutral on the eastern side of the pond.

Good Luck

Bob

Agreed.  I just went though this same thing on my newly acquired lathe as a result of the previous owner not knowing a thing about wiring apparently...

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 03:42:44 PM »
Move White to connector 1, and Blue to connector 3, and you should be good to go clockwise at 110v.

Remember, I am not a sparky:  :zap:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 06:54:11 PM »
Guys.
thank you. all of you were right. it worked a treat. :clap:

I really need to learn more about electronics. even though i read the plate i wanted confirmation. i hate something i cant see, hear or feel.

Anthony

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 07:09:05 PM »
You can't see or hear it, Anthony, but you will certainly feel it if you're careless.

I've felt the 50-cycle ripple  :zap: a few times, all but one due to my lack of care, and that one was the worst. Ironically, it wouldn't have happened if the metal casing of an electric drill hadn't been earthed for "safety".

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 07:48:12 PM »
Andy...... without a doubt electricity will kill you. you know whats funny, i read prints i follow drawings i machine parts, i read schematics on electrical drawings i clam up, even though i understand them  i self doubt myself. its human.

Anthony.