Author Topic: Making rollers for a ring bender  (Read 8012 times)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Making rollers for a ring bender
« on: February 24, 2009, 10:21:34 PM »
Ok... need some help here. I am designing a ring type tube roller to do some light and small tube rolling. One thing (among many) that I haven't done on a lathe yet is make a semi circular groove. I kinda have an idea on how it is done... but I am not 100% sure. What I want to make is this:

How do I make the groove that the tube rides in? I know I am going to have to get some round drill rod the same size as the tube groove I want. Gotta make a holder for the rod. How do I grind and then heat treat the drill rod? Any type of relief etc? What angle does the tool need to be set at? I heard perpendicular to the piece I am turning?

I am not quite lost... need some help getting back on the path.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

bogstandard

Re: Making rollers for a ring bender
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 10:37:45 PM »
OOOOh Eric, you do make life difficult for yourself.

I think you have an RT and a mill, try the way on the C-o-C

I did all the rollers on my tube bender this way. Only takes minutes for each size.

If you want to do it on the lathe, you are correct, any angle from perpendicular will give an eliptical shaped groove. You would only need a very shallow angle on top, say 3 or 4 degrees at most. But expect a bit of noise, as it is plunge cutting, very similar to parting off.
Bring your drill rod up to cherry red and hold at that for about 30 seconds, then quick quench. You should then temper it to straw colour for long life, but use as is if you are only doing a couple of rollers.

If you want to see a basic toolholder for it, let me know and another C-o-C will be posted.

John
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 10:56:20 PM by bogstandard »

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 11:19:23 PM »
Doh! That way is much much easier. My mind was set that I had to do that on a lathe! I have a RT... el cheapo that it is. Just gotta set it up now. Many thanks John!

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 09:46:46 AM »
John,

Very interesting method of cutting a groove in a roll.

My question. What if the size is not of the cutter you have. Lets say I need a .600" dia. but only have a .500" dia cutter. How could I make the groove the size I need it to be?

One idea I had was to cut with the 1/2" cutter and then use a boring bar set to take out the rest of the stock. Would that be feasible?

But thinking as I'm typing. Would close enough work. Inother words use the next larger cutter and just make a larger groove?

Eric, what size tube are you bending? Just courious.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 10:33:04 AM »
Hey Bernd,

I am going to be bending .25 and .375 tubing... brass and aluminum.

Eric
Science is fun.

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 11:16:09 AM »
I actually described the method I used to Ralph last week when he called, plus the fact that I put two grooves in each roller, to save on material costs and storage. I think Ralph had the same misunderstanding as Eric did about the grooves. Once I had explained it, all was clear.

It is the cutting of the grooves that put most people off making these sets of benders, just because it is not a normal machining method, and people think it is too difficult a process.

There are hundreds of different designs for tube benders, from dead easy to very complicated, but they all seem to do almost the same job, so why make it complicated.

It took me about half a day to make mine.

If anyone wants a couple of different sets of construction notes, send me an email.

John

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 11:32:14 AM »

If anyone wants a couple of different sets of construction notes, send me an email.

John

I am up for that!

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 01:09:15 PM »
I actually described the method I used to Ralph last week when he called, plus the fact that I put two grooves in each roller, to save on material costs and storage. I think Ralph had the same misunderstanding as Eric did about the grooves. Once I had explained it, all was clear.

Yep that's the method alright! The bending tool that John has is brill'! does the job real well   :thumbup:

And I did have the "how the hell??" question about the rollers..... and this method of making the recesses works for me  :ddb:

I have the plans printed and ready in my shop.... Got distracted before I made anything though!!  I'll sort it soon.

I have only the gap between the frame and the roller depths to adjust to allow for the twin recess version and the plans I have are great... They include metric as well as imperial!!

I'm interested in what your up to Eric??  :scratch:     :dremel: 

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 02:33:07 PM »
I'm interested in what your up to Eric??  :scratch:     :dremel: 

Ralph.

Hey Ralph... it will be used for a couple of different things. But mainly for some LED lamps I have in mind. I am almost done clearing out the bike bits, this way I can focus on other things. Stuff I want to anyway!

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 05:03:03 PM »
I just purchased a new "toy" this week... well.. late last week.
A tubing bender.

For rollcage tubing actually.

BUT its a vertical bender, and a really neat piece of kit.

I guess I better get some pics of it and post em in "tools".
May spur some ideas on things for you.
SPiN Racing

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 05:06:03 PM »
Yep, you better had, can't go teasing us like that and run away you know  :poke:

We want to see new toys,,,, so we can go "ooh, ahh"  :)
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 08:43:20 PM »
Good to know that   :proj:  is still contagious   :)

I can focus on other things. Stuff I want to anyway!
That's why you have a home 'shop Eric.....  :thumbup:

Got to see this stuff happening, you were saying about these a while ago...... You are more than aware of the rules.....  get photo's and post 'em!!!      :ddb:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!