Author Topic: A simple tool for a simple problem.  (Read 6350 times)

Offline BiggerHammer

A simple tool for a simple problem.
« on: January 20, 2013, 07:36:08 PM »
I am kind of proud of this one. I thought of it on my own. However I am also aware that there isn't really much "new under the Sun".

Some of the guys where I am currently doing some work frequently have to "pull square" or "cross measure for square" on some large metal frames. Here is what I came up with to help them out.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Purchased the magnetic squaring tool and the tape measure. Fabricated the aluminum bits from some bar stock and flat-bar. After assembling this is what you get.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now one man should be able to  stick the magnet in the corner, pull a diagonal measurement and repeat with the other corner allowing him to square up the assembly. This does not give a "true distance" measurement but it should give a consistent measurement between the corners which is all that is required to cross measure for square.

Offline roygpa

Re: A simple tool for a simple problem.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 08:11:51 PM »
good idea!

Roy

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 05:57:22 AM »
Good, simple solution. To a, sometimes, frustrating problem......  :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline rdhem2

• I LOVE SWARF!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 12:19:21 PM »
Nice fix to an everyday, everywhere problem.  I will copy as any good idea always is.  One fix needed-----a "clip" of sorts to free the tape without tools or leaving the center plug attached to the tape.  Could be as close to perfect as possible after that!           :beer:
Russ