Author Topic: My little Demon so far.  (Read 20032 times)

Offline Doc

• Old but still usefull (I hope) ?
Re: My little Demon so far.
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2016, 08:56:59 PM »
Ok I have the water pump housing done minus some deburing and maybe some radius stuff. Next will be the gears and internal parts plus drill and put in port. Won't get much time tomorrow for shop work.

George

Offline Doc

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2016, 09:51:37 AM »
Ok I worked on the pump gears. I made up a cutter to cut them and have cut a piece of gear. I will part off the lengths I need tomorrow and get them mounted int the housings. And also I'll work on the hose fitting nipple once that is done I'll work on the fan and hub I do have a 5 blade fan modeled up. I'll get a program made up and cut them on my CNC machine. I did video making up the pump gear cutter some of it anyway and cutting the stock.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEPw8yAn3vw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEPw8yAn3vw</a>
George

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2016, 10:46:54 AM »
I like the tip about marking the stock centreline with the square Doc - definitely one to tuck away for later use   :thumbup:

(btw it struck me that your acetylene pressure was far too high, which was why you had problems lighting up - oh and  did you de-pressurise your O/A regulators after use  :scratch: )
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2016, 10:49:29 AM »
Nice little set-up you have there Doc... you do great work.. very interesting..  I am far from young folk but i liked your tip on the + X,Y,Z something i shall remember that..

My small torch which is identical to yours has exactly the same problems... if you don't use it often the tip my have crud init or check your pressure settings on the gauges.

Thanks for the video.

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Doc

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2016, 11:00:12 AM »
  Thanks guys yes I did relieve the pressure on the regulators. I have messed around with the pressures but still gives me a problem when lighting some time. I'll have to check the pressures again and make sure they are not set to high. I just have to let it burn awhile and it will eventually let me add the oxygen. I do hardly ever use it so it mostly just being used for heat treating stuff and a little silver soldering.

Well I'm heading to the shop and get going on the water pump before the day is gone.
George

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2016, 11:11:22 AM »
Many people forget to set the oxygen and acetylene pressures with the torch tap open and gas flowing - it makes a big difference. I use about 2 psi on each with an absolute max of 4 psi
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Doc

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2016, 03:30:52 PM »
Many people forget to set the oxygen and acetylene pressures with the torch tap open and gas flowing - it makes a big difference. I use about 2 psi on each with an absolute max of 4 psi

I looked at my pressure again on the acetylene and it was high I adjusted it to where I usually have it and you are correct lights right up no problem.
Thanks Andrew!

I was setting the gear lengths and had them fitted and dad burn it anyway I dropped one. I spent the next hour and half crawling around on my hands and knees. What the frig I must have a shop gremlin and he has taken possession of it. And don't you know I didn't make enough gear stock to get another so I guess I'll be cutting gears again.

George

Offline Doc

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2016, 07:36:57 PM »
 I did look another half an hour then went forward with the one I had and put together the one I had. I grabbed a little container of water and a empty container and tested the pump.
I must say I was impressed by the way it pumped. I used a dremel tool and set on low it pumped pretty good but turn it up and it shot water all the way across the bench.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q2STgofn8M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q2STgofn8M</a>
George

Offline chipenter

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2016, 04:05:22 AM »
Good to see the pump works , I make gear cutters the same way but , I drilled and taped right across the holder ,and cut the rads with the blank pushed away from the centre , this gives clearence when it's clamped towards the centre , iff that make any sence to you .
Jeff

Offline Doc

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2016, 04:49:04 PM »
Good to see the pump works , I make gear cutters the same way but , I drilled and taped right across the holder ,and cut the rads with the blank pushed away from the centre , this gives clearence when it's clamped towards the centre , iff that make any sence to you .

Kind of like if I make a cutter for steel gears then I do the turning of the tool at a smaller dia then when I go to use it I pull it out or extend it out of the holder about .25 farther than it was made at ten I get a relief from the cutting edge. In brass I don't mess with that as it is soft enough as long as you take it easy it will cut just fine. I like your Idea I may have to put a couple set screws in from the other direction and give her a try. Thanks!
George

Offline Doc

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2016, 09:51:03 AM »
A little update on the water pumps.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEaFTqCPF3k" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEaFTqCPF3k</a>
George

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2016, 10:17:46 AM »
Nice Doc  :thumbup:

What's your secret getting the double sided tape unstuck after machining? I've tried various makes, including carpet tape and 3M proper hold down tape, and always seem to spend more time removing the glue residue than actually machining !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Doc

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2016, 10:28:04 AM »
A small torch and heat them up a little and they come right apart then wipe off the sticky stuff with some acetone.
George

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2016, 10:50:51 AM »
... mmm ... the tapes I've got have intergalactic mega gluey 'never release' on them  :bugeye:

Yesterday I tried heat, acetone, xylene, isopropal alcohol, cigarette lighter fluid, and a proprietary 'label remover' all to no avail. I ended up patiently 'rolling it off' bit by bit. Well in all honesty not very patiently.  :ddb:

The one thing I've not tried yet is freezing them. I know it is how they remove chewing gum from pavements !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Doc

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2016, 11:26:38 AM »
 MMM I found that acetone works on removing most all goooy stuff haven't ran across any that it wouldn't remove guess I'm just lucky the tape I usually use is just the carpet layers tape. Anyway  to get them apart I usually heat them with a torch or put them into boiling water (for small parts).
              Well it's -15 degrees f so its a good day to stay inside and work in the shop.
George

Offline joshagrady

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2016, 05:27:39 AM »
I was setting the gear lengths and had them fitted and dad burn it anyway I dropped one. I spent the next hour and half crawling around on my hands and knees. What the frig I must have a shop gremlin and he has taken possession of it. And don't you know I didn't make enough gear stock to get another so I guess I'll be cutting gears again.

If it's any consolation, you'll find the gear you dropped just as soon as you make a new one.  (Don't ask me how I know.)  Keep up the great work.

Offline Doc

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2016, 06:28:28 PM »
Haven't found the missing gear When I made the replacement I made extra stock this time ( should of done that first time) I have enough left over to make several spare sets of gears. I'll put the extra on the shelf I'm sure I'll find a use for it eventually.

George

Offline Doc

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2016, 09:50:36 AM »
Didn't get a whole lot done did get the heads completed entirely and powder coated one water pump and polished up one a little.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKDNjqoSz18" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKDNjqoSz18</a>
George

Offline Doc

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2016, 10:56:09 PM »
Well I did the cab adapter plates and rounded up some stock for the main carb body  don't know if I'll get anytime tomorrow in the shop or not going to try.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EIqoivUclE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EIqoivUclE</a>
George

Offline Doc

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2016, 07:15:20 PM »
 Didn't get any shop time today maybe tomorrow. Then I'll get the material for the carb main body squared up and to size. Have a couple programs done form them.
George

Offline Doc

« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2016, 07:12:49 PM »
Well made it out to the shop and worked on the cab's main body. Thing were (I thought) were going pretty good hen I noticed I put the holes in the carb 90 degrees from the plan  :doh:   hmmmm drats! I'm thinking it will be ok though just means the cab will turn on the manifold 90 degrees. I did video the work today most of it a little over 2 hours I'll process it and get it uploaded to Youtube tonight and should be there for anyone wanting to take a peek tomorrow.
  I'll finish up the main body tomorrow and get a start on the 2 other pieces and see if I can get it done this weekend. After this I'm going to attempt to set the cam and start putting ting together for real.
George

Offline Doc

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2016, 05:57:03 PM »
Ok for some reason youtube didn't like that video format on the long vid it sat and said processing for a couple days so I deleted and cut the vid shorter it just got released so here it is. I have a dam cold didn't feel I could make it to work but funny thing I did make it out in the shop for a bit today.  Imagine that anyway I'll post another vid from this week end when I get a chance. The cabs are about done just need to turn up the barrel and get the jet needles done.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STJ6zGlCIyM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STJ6zGlCIyM</a>
George

Offline Doc

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2016, 01:41:55 PM »
That video was recorded on Sunday and Monday wasn't feeling up to par so I took a vacation day from work and forced myself out in the shop for a little work and by the evening was feeling really bad! It's now Wednesday and still feel like CRAP! This is a really bad cold I've picked up.  Seems like where I work the yayhoos that work there seem to think they need to be at work sick or not so they can spread it around. Really piss's me off in a way. I'm pretty darn sure that its where I picked it up as me or my wife have not gone out anywhere for a week before I got sick. Anyway that is one of my biggest pet peeve IF YOUR SICK STAY THE HELL HOME!
   Ok enough ranting this is the video I shot for the short time I was out in the shop not sure when I'll get back out depends on how fast I can kick this dam cold!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvzbFGbiGrM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvzbFGbiGrM</a>
George

Offline Doc

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2016, 10:10:49 AM »
Man am I fighting a bad cold it's been hanging on for a week now. My wife is now coming down with it. SO not sure if I will get anything done on the build this weekend  :(  Maybe I'll feel up to a little cad and make up a fake sump that I want to place on the bottom of the oil pan to make it look right. I really don't feel up to just typing this reply just want to lay down and take a nap. We in a winter storm watch this weekend so I may get to play with my tractor and snow blower. Anyway I'm going to go take a morning nap :(
George

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2016, 10:35:09 AM »
Rest up Doc, it'll still be there when you return. I'm going into Fusion 360 overload myself, I'm getting 'youtube-itis' and woozy eyes  :bugeye:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex