Author Topic: Tailstock Tapers  (Read 6851 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Tailstock Tapers
« on: February 27, 2009, 07:08:26 AM »
My S&B tailstock taper is 1MT, it would be much nicer if it was 2MT to match my other machines.

Assuming there is enough meat in the sleeve is it a feasible job to undertake and if so How would you go about it?  :scratch:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

Re: Tailstock Tapers
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 09:59:56 AM »
Darren,

Opening out to a larger size isn't usually a major problem. Just the reverse of how I cut the drill chuck taper.

You have to make sure you would have enough travel on your topslide to cut the whole length of the taper. I have a 1 to 3 set of MT reamers to finish it off if required.

The major problem is the tailstock itself. If it has a tang lock to stop the MT rotating, plus the auto eject mechanism, both those are geared up for a 1MT length. The 2 MT will require differing dimensions for both of those items, and might require a longer tailstock ram to be made for both those items to be correctly utilised.

You could easily use an extension socket to do the job, but it would mean a rather large overhang sticking out of the ram nose.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Extension-Sockets

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 11:29:57 AM »
Thanks John,

I've now taken the tailstock apart and had a good look at it. There is no tang retainer, the ejection system uses the end of the leadscrew. Except it isn't long enough so it doesn't eject. Fortunately I can remedy that by tapping the end of the leadscrew and adding a bolt thus making it adjustable. The lathe was probably never originally designed to use a tailstock as it has a huge well made multistage turret and as such the tailstock is very basic. Doesn't have any adjustments at all for setting over or aligning.

With the ram out on the bench it's now looking like it is too small a diameter to bore it out to MT2. The ram is 0.9990" and it has a slot to stop it rotating effectively making it around 0.8000" of meat. I measured an MT2 arbour at the thick end at 0.700 ish and 0.640" around the center area of the taper. So it's a no go I would think.

However, the internal taper looks a tad damaged which would prob explain why my arbours rotate if given a little stick. Therefore would you mind if I brought the ram along with me for a quick clean up when I come over to yours? I'm hoping next weekend if that's OK?

One bonus, I had a look at the tailstock for the Union lathe. Remember that rusty thing I was playing with not too long  that I still need to set up. Well it had an MT1 half dead center in it......can stop using the center punch as a center now.  :lol:

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 11:32:16 AM by Darren »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 11:48:38 AM »
Nice find with the centre Darren

I'll Pop over when your at Johns if thats OK and have a chat.

Cheers
 :wave:
Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 11:50:29 AM »
Look forward to it Stew, fingers crossed I'm planning on next Sat if ok with John.

Yep a lucky find, but I should have known I had it though  :doh:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 12:12:03 PM by Darren »

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 01:23:51 PM »
No problems Darren, if there is anything else you need doing that you can't cope with, bring it along, as long as it isn't another lathe to refurbish at this time, as I have nearly now cleared my backlog, and I want to get onto a bit of my stuff.
Lets see if we can get it all done before you have to go home.

It would be nice to get a few of us together. I can put the price of coffee up when there is more than one.

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 01:33:57 PM »

It would be nice to get a few of us together. I can put the price of coffee up when there is more than one.

John

Darren I'm taking a thermos flask.
 :lol:

Stew

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 01:37:03 PM »
Don't worry Stew, I'll bring a jar  :thumbup: least I could do, not a lot more I could offer really... :(

What do you give a lady man who has everything.... :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 01:55:59 PM »
Jammy Donuts
 :ddb:  :ddb:  :ddb:  :ddb:

bogstandard

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 05:19:40 PM »
Nothing needed, just bring yourselves lads, the more the merrier.

Doughnuts are on the banned list at the moment, I am trying my hardest to get my sugar level down. But I never refuse gold sovereigns or Krugerands.
Drill a hole thru them and they make great soft washers.

John