Author Topic: Building my new workshop  (Read 44614 times)

Offline mechman48

Re: Building my new workshop
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2013, 06:08:01 AM »
 :wave:
Meldonmech/Tim

Snap: have the same scenario, originally installed separate lighting circuit & power circuit, lighting switched by a switch next to the back door, power via a DB. Have 5 double sockets on original ring (10 sockets), now have 2 extension leads with 4 sockets & 1 with 2 sockets fitted alongside.. another 10 outlets available   :zap:,  just seem to be looking for that extra, nearest socket to plug something into  :scratch: can only concur with Meldonmech, run a ring main around your shop &  fit as many sockets as the loading specs will allow.

Looking good cheers, George

George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2013, 12:40:20 PM »
Hi guys  :wave: Sorry been busy so no updates except to tell you that I've had a dehumidifier running 24/7 for the last 8 days, managed to extract about 80 litres of water  :bugeye:

Today I've found that the dehumidifier is not really sucking much out now, so I guess that it must be pretty much dried out.

Regarding the power socket/outlets situation, I have got 10 or 12 (cant remember :scratch: ) double sockets (left over from when I was intending to replace all the sockets in my previous house but never got around to it) so the plan is to put 4 spaced down each side and put 2 on each gable wall (if I have enough). My dad also has given me some double sockets he had. I also plan to put a couple on the centre of the exposed stretcher beam/joist-type boards so that I have sockets in the centre of the workshop too.

I probably will still need some 4 way extensions  :doh: Especially for the Pc/monitor/CNC driver/mill arrangement, all 4 are switched on and off together.

And local regs mean that separating Lights and sockets is the only way to go  :thumbup:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2013, 03:34:29 AM »
When I laid out my (admittedly quite large at 40' square) workshop I ran box trunking all the way round, and double 13a sockets at 1 metre intervals on all walls in two rings. Friends thought I was mad putting in so many, but believe me it has proved very useful as things move around, or I'm setting something up temporarily.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2013, 01:41:37 AM »
And local regs mean that separating Lights and sockets is the only way to go  :thumbup:

If there is three phase available I would some lights on different phases. Once all my lights on the garage were all connected into one phase and circular saw on the other phase.....after two hours of work vacum cleaner kicked in automatically when I startted saw once more and middle of a plank all lights went off and vacum silent, but saw was workkin happily on a different phase. I froze and it took few seconds to deside what to do...Apparently one phase got overloaded (hotwater boiler, stove or a whole kitchen aplliances connected on at once :lol:) and the main fuse blew!

PekkaNF

Offline hopefuldave

« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2013, 08:10:06 AM »
If you're using an RCD (aka ELCB, GFCI for our American friends), split the lighting off *before* it, too, otherwise an earth fault can leave you in the dark while a machine spins down...

I went a bit OTT with my shed, teed off the incoming at the meter then through a 63-amp MCB, followed by a 100mA time-delay RCD at the house end, 10mm armoured cable up the garden to a metal-clad consumer unit with.100a switch, 6a MCB for lighting then 30mA RCD feeding MCBs for ringmain, welder, other shed, lathe and the sockets on the patio (a while I was there 'honeydo'...)

I fitted about a dozen double sockets, still wasn't enough...

Dave H. (the.other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2013, 03:50:46 PM »
Little update:

For over a week I have ran my dehumidifier and have extracted an estimated 80-100 litres  :bugeye:

Then today I got the lend of my brothers trailer and brought over all the kitchen cabinets stored in my dad's garage. It took only two trips, and now I am faced with the age-old game of "Kitchen-Cabinet" Tetris.

Suddenly I feel the need for a bigger workshop  :doh:

Stay tuned for In-Game pictures over the next week !!

Tim

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2013, 05:14:55 PM »
good god you certainly got rid of that space effectively.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2013, 03:29:42 PM »
So the "Tetris" game began today.

The 1st pieces,

Then,
http://www.velvet-art.co.uk/Engineering/madmodder-stuff/i-hqgtKnr/0/L/20130501_102207-L.jpg

And then the problem of trying to hold up a heavy upper cabinet while drilling/screwing it to the wall while on your own.

A simple solution occurred to me,

You might notice the red laser lines marking where to screw the cabinets to the wall (the next best thing to X-ray vision)

The big hole in front of the jack is for a sink, oh yes, I even brought the kitchen sink  :lol:

And ended up with this at the end of today's work,

You can see the 5 double electric sockets down the left hand side, and the hole in the worktop for the electric hob ( on the right of the double oven )

Next will be some more wiring, and I need to build a bench on the right side of the workshop for my mill and lathe.

Thanks for watching
Tim

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2013, 03:50:03 PM »
I'm confused. This started off as workshop, but with double oven already fitted and hob and sink apparently ready to go in, it is beginning to look rather like a kitchen.

You aren't banishing SWMBO to the shed, are you, while taking over the old kitchen as yoiur workshop?

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2013, 03:55:19 PM »
I'm with Andy.......   :thumbup:

It's a much better kitchen than our real one!   :scratch:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2013, 04:01:17 PM »
The wife would love that
John

Offline micktoon

« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2013, 04:06:55 PM »
Umm , it would be too confussing for me , I would go down the garden to the workshop, then get in there , think I was in the kitchen and go back in the house thinking the workshop must be in the house  :lol:
 Nice job mind ......and bloody handy for a snack too  :thumbup:

Cheers Mick

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2013, 04:33:29 PM »
Well ok I DO have a sink in my workshop, and yes I DO have a large commercial washing machine, BUT I also have some machines of the mechanical type - there'll be no room left in your's for any !!!
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2013, 04:35:18 PM »
Hi Guys

I think that it really is quite simple. Tim has taken up a new hobby. He has taken up baking as a hobby. Watch this space for "Spuds Bake Shop & Delie". I'm sure he will have some tasty delights.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2013, 04:46:58 PM »
Are you planning to host masterchef Mr Evan's?  :lol:
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2013, 05:23:33 PM »
You guys are not far from the truth, I do dabble a little in the kitchen, I make the best Brownies this side of the river Bann  :lol:

The workshop has a better oven and much better cabinets than our present kitchen, my wife is quite jealous.

I figure that the hob can be useful for heating Alum solutions when dissolving taps, and the oven could be very useful when/if I get a powder coating system, plus for when making shrink-fits.

And the sink is needed to fill the big hole in the worktop (but I probably will plumb it in too, be useful for scraping the crud off the hands before returning to the house)

On the plus side, I've got a bit of space back now

Tim

Offline DavidA

« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2013, 07:16:51 PM »
Suddenly the whole place looks a lot smaller.  Where are you going to put your milling machine ?

Dave

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2013, 08:03:08 PM »
..... Where are you going to put your milling machine ? .....

Is that the Pepper Mill you're referring to ?!  :dremel:

Dave M

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2013, 03:02:37 AM »
Suddenly the whole place looks a lot smaller.  Where are you going to put your milling machine ?

I've got to build a bench for it and the mill, it will go against the wall on the right of those pictures  :thumbup:

Tim

Offline mechman48

« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2013, 07:18:19 AM »
Where are you going to put your fridge. in the empty space at the end on the left hand side of your pics?   :lol:  by the way where did you get all that good stuff was it from a reclaimed kitchen or did you purposely buy it? no wonder the wife is jealous   :drool:  looking good anyway.

George

George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2013, 04:58:05 PM »
Where are you going to put your fridge. in the empty space at the end on the left hand side of your pics?   :lol:  by the way where did you get all that good stuff was it from a reclaimed kitchen or did you purposely buy it? no wonder the wife is jealous   :drool:  looking good anyway.

George

I don't have a spare fridge, but yea, if I had one that's where it would go  :headbang:

It all came from my parents house, they had a new kitchen put in about 6-9 months ago. They gave it to me if I removed it before the fitters came for the new one. I had it ripped out in about 3hrs. Then they were extra kind in letting me store it in their garage attic (completely filled it!!)

This kitchen workshop must be 20+ years old, I remember my older brother fitting it when we were all still living at home, I could've still been at school at the time (can't remember)  :scratch: But there's nothing wrong with it, all solid oak doors and drawer fronts, only one drawer needed a couple of screws to patch it up.  :thumbup:

Tim

Offline mechman48

« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2013, 03:37:39 PM »
Super parents   :headbang:
That set up will last you a lifetime, home from home.. so to speak.. enjoy  :ddb: looking forward to see the machines in place  :thumbup:

Cheers
George
George.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2013, 11:54:23 AM »
Another step forwards...

Been busy putting in some electrical outlet sockets, and some trunking between them, and then some electric string shoved into said trunking and some sockets wired up.

I also got some of the brown stuff and fashioned it into a frame. This will then get some kitchen worktop (Currently buried under a veritable mountain of crap essential stuff, awaiting release when said mountain gets transferred into new workshop cupboards)

Pics...

Sockets down one side,

New frame/bench (there will be doors put on the front to keep out the majority of swarf),

Stay tuned for more of the same (but slightly different)

Tim

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2013, 12:11:39 PM »
Its coming along quite nicely Tim. I am impressed (and jealous)  :ddb: :ddb:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2013, 03:39:11 PM »
There's not been too much to show, but I have been beavering away plumbing in a ring mains, a whole bunch of double sockets and then installing some electric rope to feed the cooker and hob.

I also freed up 2/3rds of the worktop needed for the lathe and mill bench (the other 1/3rd is buried under boxes of workshop equipment) and attached it to the bench.

Today I installed some doors on the Lathe/Mill bench, I need to make some handles, maybe I'll pop round to my dad's and turn some on my woodturning lathe.

Here's a pic of the Mill/lathe bench.

After hanging the doors (one still to go, but have not got a piece of tree big enough for the hole) I made a start on fitting a 5-lever deadlock to the door, got the lock fitted, now just need to fit the keeper in the frame and get a couple of handles.

Thanks for watching,

Tim