Author Topic: Wood carvings  (Read 22198 times)

Offline micktoon

Wood carvings
« on: February 10, 2013, 06:32:33 PM »
 Good evening all , I have been having a go at woodcarving. I went to a wood show in Harrogate that has all things wood related going on, one of the stalls was a local woodcarving club , I have always fancied having a go and already had some carving gouges so went along to the club, its all very informal and friendly , One of the people involved in the club called Alan sharpened my tools and showed me how to sharpen them myself and set me away on a Yorkshire rose, for those not from the UK A Yorkshire rose is the symbol for the county of Yorkshire in Northern England  Lancashire also has the same symbol the difference being the Yorkshire rose is a white rose and the Lancashire one is a red rose, there seems to be many variations of both and this is just how mine turned out rather than a sample of what it should look like. Before anyone asks how do I know mine is a Yorkshire Rose when its wood coloured ................ well Alan is a Yorkshireman ............. so its a Yorkshire Rose  :thumbup:
  I only took a couple of photos of it getting done as I was too busy consentrating on doing the carving  :dremel: The wood is lime wood , I think in the USA it might be called basswood or that is a very similar wood.

This is it half carved before any sanding took place.

It then gets sanded , partly with small rotary bits in a dremel type power tool , then hand sanded starting with say about 80 grit and working down to about 600 grit, just refining the shape and form until its ready to finish.

This is the finished thing , it was finished with a cellulose sanding sealer then a dark wax applied to highlite the deeper areas and make it have the old used look , then finished over that with clear wax. Here are a few more views of it finished, I am quite happy with it but there are bits that can be improved on................... keep scrolling down to see the next project  :thumbup: I have been taking photos as this carving progresses  :clap:

The next project was partly chosen because of the size of wood I had and also I wanted images from all angles of something to carve so this skull fitted the bill  :thumbup:

The first stage is to draw or trace the image onto the wood and bandsaw out from the side profile and the front profile. I have done a rough cut along the front of the skull here so I can remove that section and get into the various shapes along the front of the face area.

Once its cut one way you tape the waste bits of wood back on so it remains in a block form then bandsaw the front profile out too.

You end up with this type of thing , I have started to round the corners off here, its hard to get your head around what is safe to remove , once its cut off there is no going back  :palm:

Then its just a case of carving away and refining the general shape at first, double checking everything as you go and also trying to work with the grain as much as possible.

Its starting to take shape , you can see where I have held the image over the carving and spiked the outline of eye sockets etc to make it easier to see where things need to be.

I have started to get the basic shape here, Its just a case of keep holding the images up beside the carving and going steady.

I have started to sand parts to get a better idea of what looks right. Then its just more carving followed by more sanding and just keep going always trying not to take anything off that needs to be there  :scratch: , it sort of gets easier as you go as you can see what looks right and wrong more clearly as it starts to look like a skull.

This is the stage I have it to at the moment, there is still plenty tricky bits to do and lots of hours left to do yet but hopefully it will turn out decent, I have made a portable carving horse that I take to the club but find the bench vice more solid when I am in the shed working on it. I will put a photo of this in my next post, Some of the carving tools I am using are from the mid 1800's you can tell from the makers marks on them, they are real quality and amazing to think that they will have out lasted a few carvers ! I am still looking for more tools as there are so many different shapes and sizes , the more you have the more chance of finding the exact shape/size you need.

I hope to get more done tomorrow so will keep taking photos and post the progress, I hope its of interest to people  :coffee:.  I would like to say a big thanks to Alan for all his help and advice so far  :bow: :bow: :clap:

Cheers Mick.

Offline SwarfnStuff

Re: Wood carvings
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 02:45:38 AM »
Absolutely bloomin marvelous.  :clap: Looking forward to the finished article.  :coffee:
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline jb3cx

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 03:27:47 AM »
thats fantastic micky.your some machine,man of meney talents :bugeye:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 05:52:27 AM »
Mick.
You've got a real talent for "wood butchery"!  :bugeye: :clap: :clap:

That, Alan's got the right idea, too!  :)

Blummin, well done!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 07:35:55 AM »
 :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :headbang:
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 12:20:25 PM »
Hi Mick ,,,,,,, :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:  dam good show mate  :thumbup:

I am sure that skull looks like some one I no  :scratch: ,,,,,,,,,, Doubleboost perhaps  :lol:

Rob

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 01:26:35 PM »
Hi
Mick
First class work  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Rob
I know this infection has caused me to loose a bit weight  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
John

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 05:45:54 PM »
Great work Mick, ive spoken to the people on the carving stand myself the chap was doing a yorshire rose the other year. ive got the gouges got the wood still not convinced myself i have the skill. have to have another chat this year.

John

Offline micktoon

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 06:11:15 PM »
 Thanks for the comments lads  :thumbup: , You will have to see if you think its more like John with the teeth in Rob  :lol: ............... After another good few hours of Skullduggery today this is what 'Richard the 3rd ' looks like now to now  :D

This is the carving bench I have made so I can take it to the club, the front tool tray just slides off, the sliding seat lifts off and the front post with the vice on also lifts out so its able to fit in the car for transport, I just made the front swivel tilt set up the vice is attached to from what was lying about , its not ideal but does the job for now until version 2 gets made .

Just more of the same really , carve more out with the gouges , then sand smooth , then decide the next area to alter comparing to the drawings.

The same area as above after sanding smooth.

I have drawn the teeth on , I have just sized them up then done them by eye , so they will not be perfect as I have noticed John has a few not perfect teeth  :lol:

Starting to go around the teeth with fine gouges here , bearing in mind I have never carved teeth or been a dentist, its all just try it and see stuff going on here.

This is to give you some idea of size, it would be easier to do these teeth if the skull was bigger I think.

The indentations above the teeth in the jaw are the worst bit , the grain of the wood is running downwards and you can see where the wood has split off in places, I will get away with this much but I am having to be really carefull to stop anymore from splitting.

This is a top view , I think the teeth are sticking proud about the right amount, I will just have to keep refining the teeth until they are as good as I can get them , the worst bit are the indents in the bones where the roots of the teeth would go, I will have to do some trial and error here as the very small gouges are not doing the job.
 So this is the stage its at now, I will take it to the club tomorrow night and see if there are any ideas about the jaw indents.

Hope none of you lads are having any skull nightmares mind  :lol:  :bugeye:
            More to come soon  :thumbup:
  Cheers Mick

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 06:40:00 PM »
A lot of thought went into that!

Nice work  :bow:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline micktoon

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 10:22:18 AM »
 Afternoon Everyone , I have got a bit more done to the skull , just really been going over and doing more detail on the teeth and  reshaping/ sanding some areas, there has been hours and hours more time spent but maybe not easy to spot on photos ?........ I sure wish I was getting what a dentist would be getting paid for the time I have spent on them teeth !

This is the stage I am at now , the lines you can see on the skull have just been draw on with pencil this is where the fusion lines are on the skull, I am not sure if I will put these in or not yet as if they go wrong they will spoil the whole job.

I have started to reshape the back of the skull as it was not right , it still needs more work yet. I had intended the skull just to sit on the bottom of the jaw and the bottom of the rear of the skull but I might try to carve in a few neck bones and make a small base in a contrasting wood so it would sit up off the base supported by its own neck. If this did not work out I could revert to plan 'A' , cut the neck off and just have the skull.

There is still quite a bit to do yet , I wish it was a bit bigger as getting some of the detail is tricky with it being so small. Watch this space ........ and dont have nightmares !

Cheers Mick

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 03:12:39 PM »
That is starting to look a bit on the scary side now Mick
A bit too real :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye:
John

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 04:51:55 PM »
Agreed, John. It's beginning to look rather realistic. Hopefully, Mick, you will use wood finish on it when it's complete. I wouldn't like meeting it in the dark if you coat it with one of Ralph
Divided he ad's glowing finishes.  :bugeye:

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Fredbare

• Fakenham, Norfolk
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 05:35:33 PM »
Excellent work Mick, thanks for sharing.

John

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 07:57:15 PM »
Thanks Mick, you have a real talent there.

Jim

Offline Deko

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 12:13:32 PM »
Excellent work that Mick. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: I would love to have a go at that myself, but the dust and my emphysema dont go togther very well. :(

Cheers Dek. :med:

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 11:51:07 AM »
Mick, super mate! Mind blowingly excellent.

Just send me that rose down (or should I say across) and I`ll give it a lick of red paint for you.

Chris

Offline micktoon

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 06:44:53 PM »
 Evening all, I have got some more done to my skull wood carving , I have attempted to do a spine type neck then will make a base so the skull will be raised above the plinth by its own neck, if there is any spinal surgeons out there they will notice its not 100% true to a real spine but its as close as I can get it in wood :dremel: I have gone off drawings from the internet but could really have done with a 3D real object to copy from in front of me to be honest, anyway here is the progress so far.

The spacing for the vertebrae is marked on with pencil and start to carve off the first bits of waste wood.

Then its just a case of keep looking at the drawings and removing more wood a bit at a time , remembering that you can not put it back on ! and just slowly trying to get it into a spine type shape, the carving is tricky here as its so easy to break a bit off along the grain and getting into all the various angles is a nightmare.

Once all that can be done with carving tools is done , its time for the good old dremel and just grind away areas with various burrs and sanding drums etc, its still hard to get to all the places you want to get to and I could do with more varied shapes of burrs etc. Its starting to get the rough shape now.

I now use riffler files and sand paper wrapped around bits of wood etc to try and get into the hard to reach areas, refining the shape and smoothness, its starting to look more like bone than butchered wood anyway.

This is the stage I have got to now , its taken over a day to do the spine bit !!, I think operating on a real spine would have been easier to be honest lol. It now just needs overall refining and sanding smoother , the base  made and to be sealed and waxed, I am hoping to get more done tomorrow............so watch this space .
  Cheers Mick.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 06:48:07 PM »
Very nice Mick
(well it is very scarey)
Leave it in the shop

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 07:57:21 PM »
Great Job!!!
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline micktoon

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 07:33:02 PM »
Good evening all ,  the skull is done  :dremel: , after lots and lots of dremel work and sanding  :palm:

This it it fully sanded and smooth.

It was then given a coat of 50/50 sanding sealer - thinner mix, which soaks in and seals any grain in the wood, it also make it look a touch darker.

I then got a peice of wood to make the base , I think its Olive wood ? , this was trued up on the wood lathe.

This it a spigot turned on the top of the lid so it can be held in the chuck to do the underneath of the lid, the underneath has a reverse of this so the jaws open into a recess rather than  so the top can be done too.

I just did a design as I went , I wanted the museum exhibit look lol, after this shot I drilled a hole 1/2 inch diameter and about 1/2 deep so I could make a spigot on the botton of the spine and glue the skull to the base.

This is the finished base , its also been sanding sealered and waxed.

This is the skull after being waxed and buffed up, I did not take any photos but I then had to saw around the base onf the bottom of the spine and carve a round spigot onto it that fitted the hole in the top of the base , then glued the two together.

This is the finished article, I am chuffed at how its come out, there are a few bits I would probably do different if I did another one and a few bits that are not anatomically correct to the last detail but overall I have learnt a lot doing it which is my main aim anyway.

I have my next project marked out its a round plaque with a heraldic rampant lion set into it in low relief, the mission this time is to leave it finished off the tool without any sanding ........ a tall order but I an so sick of sanding I will give it a good go  :lol:
   Hope you all like the finished skull :thumbup:

Cheers Mick

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 10:56:13 PM »
Mick

Very nice job you have made of the skull. I'll bet that you have found that patience was your best friend while carving that. Just one wrong move and things can go bad in a hurry. You can display that on the mantel and hold your head high. Thanks for sharing that with us.   :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 04:34:34 AM »
Mick.
That's absolutely beautiful, in a grizzly sort of way......  :bugeye:

I admire anyone who can produce such craftsmanship!

Well done!  :clap: :clap:

David D.
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline philf

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 06:23:00 AM »
Mick,

Absolutely superb!

:clap:

Can you make me some teeth like that - I'm a bit lacking in the molar department.

:beer:

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 02:13:48 PM »
Totall class
I would like to se a better example :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
The grain in the base is fantastic
John

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 03:11:21 PM »
Mick,

The craftsmanship is awe-inspiring - you're maybe revealing that you are, to wood, what Rob Wilson is to metal !

But most especially - thanks for taking us on the journey with you. 

cheers / Dave    :beer:

Offline kayz1

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 04:53:57 PM »

Most eggs-er-lant work Mike...and that base is a nice touch too.
    Lyn.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 05:11:57 PM »
 :jaw: :jaw:

wow.

That is really amazing.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 12:58:23 PM »
 :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:  EXCELLENT Mick  ,,,,,,,,,, job well done  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ya a canny wood butcher  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob

Offline micktoon

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2013, 07:02:49 PM »
  Thanks for all the kind comments lads  :bow: :bow: :thumbup: , I am glad people found it of interest as its not really the normal kind of topic on Modders. I have enjoyed doing the skull and pleased with the way it turned out. Dave DMIOM , that was a complement indeed being compared to Robs work :drool: , I wouldn't go as far as that myself but I think seeing things the quality of Rob's and other peoples work on here and other sites inspires others to have a go and get it as good as they can  :clap:.
  I am hoping that posting the stages of doing something like this will let other people see that where is a will there is a way and hopefully share the knowlege and inspire others to have a go too  :D.
  Its back to metal now ................I have been back to rebuilding my Harrison L5 today  :dremel: ................ I will be posting progress again soon in the tools section, a few people have been hinting and ribbing me at my lack of progress  :lol:

Cheers Mick.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 10:39:30 PM »
  Thanks for all the kind comments lads  :bow: :bow: :thumbup: , I am glad people found it of interest as its not really the normal kind of topic on Modders...

I have no problem with wood working on here. Esp, the type you have shown.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2013, 07:51:09 PM »
hi brill work

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2013, 03:39:32 PM »
Hi Mick, not been on here in ages and just read the updates of your skull. Super work mate, it really is!!
Chris

Offline micktoon

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2013, 03:53:28 PM »
  Hi Bob and Chris , thanks for the compliments  :thumbup: and glad the odd wood topic is ok Eric , my next project is starting soon ....photos will follow ............ I can tell Chris is thinking ....oh the mouse  :palm: sorry Chris thats not the next one but I have a little job to do on the wood lathe so might do the turning bit of the mouse then and get the photos of that part of mousing building then, I haven't forgot just never had the chance  :dremel:

Cheers Mick

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2013, 06:53:31 AM »
I did nearly post about the mouse. Once you make your tutorial - I promise, I'll make an effort to make one for my daughter so your efforts will used!!

Chris

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2013, 09:49:56 AM »

Well Mick this is much more interesting than restoring old lathes, she will definitely be in the back seat from now on.     
                This like a drug once you start. Brilliant work.

Cheers David

Offline Bangkok Mick

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2013, 07:41:22 AM »
that looks great

Offline tekfab

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2013, 09:17:06 AM »
Its an ashtray , right ?     :)  :)  :)

Nah, really nice bit of work, i wish i had the patience to do something like that . 

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2013, 02:31:19 AM »
Brilliant job :bow:, I think the colour of skull v base really enhances wot was a great bit of 'butchering" to start with :thumbup:.  Makes me regret passing my gouges onto a boatbuilder now!

I like the way you're doing this from flat pictures off of t'interweb.  I was doing a similar thing the other week for sketching figures of people, I probably used the same pictures of the "Skellington" as wot you did.  The beloved (who's an artist) says I should draw figures from life to see the shapes, I find, once I can see the mechanics underneath it all, from 2D drawings, I can see the shape that way in my head. 

I'm starting to believe that the male and female "spacial awareness lobe" is wired up the opposite way round!!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 02:56:46 AM by RossJarvis »
Procrastination; now is that an art or a craft skill?

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2013, 01:14:21 PM »
Looks good are you going to build it up with plastercene to see what he / she looked like?   :D

Offline sparky961

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2013, 02:36:19 PM »
I don't know how I missed this the first time around ... or maybe I didn't ... but it occurs to me at present that someone needs to give Mick a medal for his patience!

If it were me, I'd have probably spent a few hundred hours designing fixtures to hold the part for CNC milling, rather than taking the same amount of time to do it by hand...

:)

Offline angus

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2013, 10:53:01 AM »
i wish i could mangle wood like that