Author Topic: Starter IC engine project?  (Read 4220 times)

Offline stevehuckss396

Starter IC engine project?
« on: February 16, 2013, 09:05:23 AM »
I am trying to find out if there is any interest in this project. I was thinking about designing an engine based on this compressor pump. It would be like a transition project into internal combustion. The crankshaft, rod, and piston with rings is already to go. You would still need to make the head with the valves and everything. Camshaft still needs to be made with the lifters and rockers. It would simplify building an engine but still challenge you enough that valuable experience would be had. From here you could move into full builds knowing that you have the skills to make at least half of the engine and concentrate on learning the other skills needed. I was thinking it would cut the stress of building a IC engine in half and get some of the guys who are on the fence to give it a try.

I found this compressor on Ebay for $70 USD. It's not top quality but for as little as the engine would run it would last many years as a model engine. I am going to write the seller and find out if this pump has been around a while and still be available for a while. If so it might be worth doing if there is any interest by model builders.

What do you think.

Also found this one for $99 USD

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 09:32:16 AM by stevehuckss396 »

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Starter IC engine project?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 09:35:04 AM »
Hi Steve,

I think there would be plenty of interest. It would be a great way to build a IC engine.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.