Author Topic: Wood Valentines heart  (Read 7044 times)

Offline micktoon

Wood Valentines heart
« on: February 17, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »
 Evening lads, just a quick post with what I made for 'wor lass' for Valentines day gift. Its a well known fact that Geordie men are some of the most romantic creatures on planet earth  :ddb: I am not really sure what wood this is, but its a burr , could be walnut ? Anyway I band sawed a heart shape out of a block that was just slightly bigger than the heart shape.

I then ran the router around to remove some of the bulk of wood I wanted off, keeping it constant from center line.

I then started sanding by hand with P40 paper on sanding block type thing as in this photo, trouble was by the time it was held enough to be able to sand it , I couldnt get good angles to sand the shape.

Plan 'B' was Makita 4 inch electric sander upside down on the bench and hold the heart against the rotating belt .... still not that easy but doable.

Then just sanded with rough belt until I more or less has the shape I wanted.

From then I had a smaller hand sanding block with sponge type soft flexible side to it and refined the shape through finer grits of sand paper.

Until it ended up like this , I think it was P600 , then a 3M type grey sanding pad.

This was final finish.

Then a coat of cellulose sanding sealer , that was wiped straight off when still wet so it just seals the wood but leaves it still smooth.

I then buffed it on the lathe with this 'Pine brush' , its quite fine but just gets things a little smoother, then it was waxed and buffed up with a cotton buff again on the lathe.

This was the finished item , it looked more smooth and shiny than in the photo to be honest......................... I am pleased to reporrt that she was very happy with it so all the sanding was worth it in the end   :thumbup:

Cheers Mick

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Re: Wood Valentines heart
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 07:24:54 PM »
Wouldn't it have been easier to get a transplant ?
I shelled out and bought ower Gert a brand spanking new Bridgeport, she didn't seem as pleased with it as I did  ?????????????
John Stevenson

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 07:30:28 PM »
Micktoon

You have made a beautiful job of that heart. That is a one of a kind heart that I'm sure she will treasure. I love the grain of that burl, it adds character to the heart. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 07:45:16 PM »
Beautiful job.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline sparky961

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 12:47:26 AM »
Looks good!  I'm glad to see another wood project, despite my love for metal.

- Sparky

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 03:58:17 PM »
Nice job Mick :thumbup: :thumbup:
I had no idea you were such a "slavery Twat" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
John

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 05:52:19 PM »
Beautiful thought. Beautiful present.  :clap: :clap:

Nice one Mick!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline micktoon

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 05:21:49 PM »
Cheers for the comments lads  :thumbup: , She did like it and in general likes wood type items for around the house ........... John, I bet you are just as slavery  :drool: :lol: ....... I find the odd geature of good will gifts , makes it easier to get quality shop time  :drool: :drool: :coffee: :ddb:
   Cheers Mick.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 10:45:12 PM »
Nice job!  :thumbup:

Must not let the wife see this post....  :zap:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 05:46:04 AM »
Mick, fantastic!!  Have you done that mouse tutorial yet? :whip:

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 08:46:19 AM »
I do like the heart.  :clap: :clap::offtopic: But the real reason I am posting is the sander mounted upside down. I have one on my bench, I also have band , circular saws , lathes, milling & drills all known danger . Worked with machines all my working life, never caught before. The said sander caught me last week, still waiting to see if I will retain the tops of two fingers. Little & ring on left hand I will not post photos. After the wood slipped  fingers went on the belt then down the gap . :Doh: :Doh: GEOFF

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 04:51:35 PM »
OUCH!!!!!

Oh, man I don't want to even imagine that!

I know what my sander does to a cord  if it catches into that gap. And that's sanding with the machine upright and hand on the spring trigger.

Upside down with the trigger locked...........uhhhhhhh.  :( :( :( :( :( :(
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline micktoon

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 05:52:56 PM »
Hi Geoff ,
    I hope your fingers are ok , when i was doing that heart , I did bounce my fingers off the belt a couple of times , lucky the way I was holding it kicked them upwards but I was thinking that its a vicous bit of kit , and I have also seen what it does to the flex if it goes under the belt and gets sucked in ........... :palm:
  Thanks for mentioning it Geoff, its only when you hear first hand its happened, it makes you take that EXTRA care, I hope your fingers heal up ok.

Chris, I should be able to do the mouse tutorial next week, funny enough I had just thought about it when I was busy with the skull, its on the to do list for next week , along with getting going with the Harrison lathe again , I have been clearing away the mess from several jobs today so I ca get to the lathe again  :thumbup:

Cheers Mick.