In the wood turning club I'm in, Someone usually brings in a junky piece of wood, to challenge anyone else wants it to try and see what they can make out of it. Generally its a piece out of their firewood pile. This month I accepted the challenge. The wood is called Madrone. It had a largish crack right in the middle.
I came up with a plan.
I've been wanting to try a multi sided piece. This was my chance. In the planing stages of this piece I realized that with the 5 jaw Longworth chuck that I built, my options were slim.
Five sided it would be\o/ Here I'm pushing it against the chuck and just using friction and a center to hold it in the lathe. You can see I found another inclusion in the wood.
I forgot to take any in progress pictures. I kind of got distracted turning this bowl.
A couple of whats left pictures:o)
Just turn everything off that's not a bowl:o)
I thought the crack would get smaller the farther in I went. I was wrong.
Crack from the outside.
I'll rub some paste wax on it after the gold paint dries.
This was a fun project and I learned a few things:o) Thanks for watching!