Author Topic: A "new" machine for my little shop!  (Read 9163 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
A "new" machine for my little shop!
« on: March 02, 2009, 02:22:32 AM »

Powered Adept No 2 Metal Shaper...... :ddb:

I want to celebrate but maybe I should wait until I collect it!  It cost me NZ$425,  about $210 or about 140 quid!

(OK, guesses at the exchange rate so wont worry if I am wrong!)

From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: A "new" machine for my little shop!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 03:33:33 AM »
Good buy John, a real usful bit of kit.  :clap:

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 09:52:18 AM »
I'm jealous John and at a very good price too.  :thumbup:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline websterz

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 12:52:16 PM »
Major tool envy !  :thumbup:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 01:37:56 PM »
Very nice, clean isn't it  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 03:36:13 AM »
Say a little prayer for me guys!  24 hours and no response from the vendor. :(

Sometimes people get a bit dissapointed at the selling price and try to reneg.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 03:52:50 AM »
Looks good John!

Little prayer sent......  :thumbup:

David.
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

bogstandard

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 05:01:30 AM »
Any probs with the vendor, just send a little note to tell him he will be blacklisted by eblay if he doesn't get his act together and tries to withdraw.

As you will gather, I will complain to vendors about bad service or products without a second thought.

They will think I am a right a**ehole at times, but the next time I use them, they bend over backwards to get it right first time. I am sure they tremble when they see me approaching their stand at a show, tugging forelocks et al (plus sometimes a little discount or treat to keep the customer happy).

Never be afraid of confrontation, but make sure it is you who is in the right. There is nothing worse than losing face if you haven't read the small print.

Bogs

Offline websterz

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 09:02:57 AM »
Say a little prayer for me guys!  24 hours and no response from the vendor. :(

Sometimes people get a bit dissapointed at the selling price and try to reneg.

People also have emergencies, get busy, suffer computer crashes...don't worry. You just have a touch of Buyers Remorse. Send that little gem my way and I guarantee one of us will feel better in the morning. I'm not a doctor but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express one time...
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 07:35:54 PM »
Get down on those prayer mats guys!   Still no contact  (but its only two days). ::)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 03:10:28 AM »
Prayers answered! :bow:

:ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Lionel Lathe has now been joined by Sally Shaper in the back of the garage! :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Sally has been married twice before, ten years with the first guy then from about 1958 until today with owner number two, I am third owner.

She is very well presented and at some time has been treated to a nice coat of paint and a handy wheeled cart. She appears to be in excellent order although a couple of screws need to be tightened and there is a small pin missing which makes the automatic cross feed a little eratic.

She is a dear wee thing in fact if anyone told you they could pick up and carry a metal shaper to their car you would not believe them unless you had met Sally.

I had a bit of a play this evening and obviously there are some tricks to getting Sally to perform to her best!  I got a box of tools with here but I cant be sure which ones have been ground for a shaper or for a lathe.  I tried a couple of trial facings which did not go very well and there seemed to be an extremely fine difference between digging in and bending the tool and not cutting at all.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 03:17:34 AM »
Great result John!

Enjoy.......  :thumbup:

David.
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

bogstandard

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 03:57:34 AM »
John,
Glad you have got it all sorted without having to be nasty. It will be a valuable addition to your growing shop.

It is many years since I have had to use a shaper in anger, but once you find out how and get to use it, there will be no stopping you.

The milling machine has taken over from the shaper for most jobs, but for some production jobs they really excel.

Getting the hang of setting the correct angle for the job on the clapper box should be your first priority. Get that under your belt and you will be flying. That is most probably where your first tentative steps were going wrong, if you don't get the angle right, it cannot get back correctly to start the next cut.

Darren has recently become a proud owner as well, so he might be able to point you in the right direction for starting info.

John

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 04:16:57 AM »
Thanks John,

I have been trying to read the Yahoo group to find advice on grinding shaper tools but boy the web format is a challenge for this old fellow, frustration galore.

It has been written in magazine and website that the Adept No2 was originally a manual machine that some owner converted to power and showed the factory which then began to produce his design slightly modified.  In some ways it sure looks like it! For instance the power crossfeed mechanism is very uncertain in operation and when I put my hand on the feed handle to give it some assistance it took a bite at me!  Fortunately I moved fast enough to keep my finger tips!

Apart from a missing pin in the ratched pawl which allows the direction to become un-selected the mechanism that operates the pawl tends to stick to the wheel so that instead of advancing it just jiggles back and forth.  I can think of a dozen ways to stop this happening but it has to be effective in both directions.  Hopefully The Artful Bodger will find a way!

The clapper box angle is set off centre and the tool clears the work at the beginning of the stroke but thanks for the reminder John I will study that aspect some more.

Meanwhile my biggest problem is the tendency for the tool to dig right in which I presume is tool shape more than anything.

Oh, the other problem is finding Whitworth spanners for all the things that need adjusting!  I have some somewhere being a former Riley 2.5 RM owner.

bogstandard

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 05:52:12 AM »
John,

Oh, the other problem is finding Whitworth spanners for all the things that need adjusting!

When it come things like that, the Bahco range of adustable spanners are great. But make sure you get an imperial one :lol:

Bogs

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 03:50:26 AM »
Bogs, the man at the shop did not have any Bahco adjustable spanners but he did have some Crescent brand and he assured me that being American they will fit inch size nuts. He also helped me out with some other stuff and sold me a nice set of left handed tools including hex wrenches and screw drivers which all seem to work ok but I havent opened the can of rainbow paint.