Author Topic: Shumatech DRO-550 problems  (Read 7215 times)

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
Shumatech DRO-550 problems
« on: March 12, 2013, 01:55:14 PM »
 I somehow have managed to mess up my Shumatech DRO-550. It all started with erratic scale readings on first the Z and then the Y Axes. After several days spent cleaning, disassembling, reassembling, and testing, I finally got all axes working again.
Next, I had trouble with the bolt hole function. I had entered the bolthole parameters, and to familiarize myself with the process, was stepping through the hole locations with the DRO when I noticed the hole locations were not plotted correctly. I decided to erase the DRO and reload it with the latest version of OpenDro.
Here's where I have serious problems. When I completed the original build, I was running a desktop with XP Pro on it. Now I'm running a laptop with Win7 Home Premium 64 bit. So no serial port. I have tried to no avail to load the latest version of OpenDro on the DRO-550. I have tried both AMTEL's SAM-BA and Bossa. Neither program will connect to the DRO-550.
I even dragged an older Dell Desktop out of storage, loaded XP Pro, SP3, updates, SAM-BA, and Bossa. No communication from either program using USB or serial. The only problem I can see is SAM-BA does not offer the USB connection. Both programs see comm 1 but will not connect. I think it is a driver problem, but I'm not sure.
Somebody please help! I am a retired computer tech, and a very long time ago I was an electronics tech, so I know my way around computers and such. But, this has me baffled. I have become used to using the DRO on my mill and was just getting ready to try setting it up on my lathe.
Anyone else have this issue? The DRO-550 seems stuck in programming mode or the current load has become corrupt. HELP! I have a lot invested in the DRO-550 and the Shumatech group and website don't seem to want to help. I posted to the Shumatech group over 24 hours ago and my post has not appeared yet. I have e-mailed Steve S. with no response.
I have also been corresponding with Rick Sparber, but even his help hasn't got me going again.
 Chuck
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline John Rudd

Re: Shumatech DRO-550 problems
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 02:47:54 PM »
Chuck when you say you erased the DRO, do you mean you erased the Atmel processor?

How did you erase the processor if you did?

Could this be a fuse issue with the Atmel?

Sorry for the questions but I'm not too familiar with this particular app but do know a bit about Atmels...
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 04:12:13 PM »
The DRO program has an option in the command/functions to update if connected to a computer, or erase current load to prepare for reload. Also, the main board has a reset/programming switch built in. I have tried both. I had issue when I first built it about 3 years ago, but can't remember how I fixed it.
The board for the dro has a built in usb interface and a DB9 serial connector, either can be used to interface to a computer to load the program. Neither interface will connect.
Hope that helps.
Chuck
Chuck in E. TN

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 04:37:11 PM »
Chuck,

Have you tried a replacement Atmel chip?
Failing that, are all the power rails present and correct...? :zap:

Maybe check those first before replacing the processor.

If you have a spare processor, maybe worth jury rigging a breadboard with it on and whatever peripherals are needed to program it and then try loading a program...that ways it proves a pc, programming software and comms? :coffee:

Sorry this seems a ball ache approach but as I said I'm not familiar with the DRO stuff.... :scratch:

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 05:19:57 PM »
Not possible for me to replace the AMTEL chip. It's surface mount and I can't see the leads, let alone unsolder/solder them. That's from a guy that taught NASA level soldering and multi-layer circuit board repair som 40 years ago...
Maybe Scott Shumate can repair it, I can't. Sad. I have a lot of money (to me) tied up in this thing, and have enjoyed using it for 2-3 years.
Chuck
Chuck in E. TN

tumutbound

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 08:07:49 AM »
Not sure if  this is any help but here's the software loading instructions.

I have the older DRO-350 with the DPU-550 upgrade so can't really help with details.

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 08:15:08 AM »
 I have sucessfully reprogrammed my 550 with the help of a member from another forum. He provided me with the origional programming software which had to be installed on an XP machine to work. All's well...
Chuck
Chuck in E. TN

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 08:21:58 AM »
Good to hear you got it working.... :thumbup:

Offline PK

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 06:45:38 PM »
Just wanted to add my voice to this as this thread turned up when I was searching for a fix.
I couldn't get the firmware onto my boards for love nor money. In the end, I fired up an XP machine and it all worked first go.

PK

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 07:35:59 AM »
And an update, PK. Mine is still working fine. Never did figure out what caused it to screw up. I wish I'd bought 2 when I got mine.

Chuck
Chuck in E. TN