Author Topic: Pinging Bogstandard  (Read 5442 times)

Offline crankshafter

Pinging Bogstandard
« on: March 02, 2009, 05:08:33 PM »
Hello Bogs.
Now it's me who need some help regarding threading-chart on my lathe.
Ok here it go: Need to make some 1/4"x32 but how the h¤%&%##ll do I set up the gear-train. The gear marked "Z" tells me nothing. Sooooooooo  maybe you can do me a favor and help me out of this mess. The chinglish "manual" for the lathe says nothing as far as I see :bugeye:

Best Regards CS

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Re: Pinging Bogstandard
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 06:42:53 PM »
Not Bogs, he's down the pub, but Z is the gear on the leadscrew, it's marked on the chart so you want 48 on the leadscrew and lever ? M in position 1

Not enough chart showing to be sure.
JS.
John Stevenson

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 06:47:01 PM »
Hi CS,

As John says, without seeing the whole cutting chart and the controls of the lathe, it is rather difficult to decipher what is going on.

But I will try to assist you with what you are showing.

Looking at the chart on the left, you set the train up as shown, with the Z sized gear shown above the thread you want to cut mounted in the position Z on the left hand chart.

So to cut 32 TPI, you should have the 48 tooth gear in position Z, and for a 19 TPI you would use the 38 tooth gear.

You should have a lever somewhere on the front of your lathe marked M, and I would suspect it has two positions it can be in. When it is in position M-I you will cut 32 TPI, or if it is in position M-II, you will be cutting 16 TPI.

If that cracks the code for you, great, if not, you can show a bit more info and that will give more clues how to set up.

It took me ages to crack the charts on my lathe (actually the screwcutting dial, you have to change gears on that to give the correct indication for metric threads), because, like yourself, my manual is only good enough for wiping your a**e on. But once you get the hang of it, you will have no further trouble.

John

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 08:12:48 PM »
Hmmm, I think there is a knob/lever that selects 'Z' or 'M'. 

So when you are using the changeable cog that selector goes to 'Z', when using an internal ratio you set that to 'M' but then there is another selector that selects 'I' or 'II'.  'I' and 'II' is only applicable to the 'M' setting.

Just my guess on the information in front of us!
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline crankshafter

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 03:45:14 AM »
Hi CS,

As John says, without seeing the whole cutting chart and the controls of the lathe, it is rather difficult to decipher what is going on.

But I will try to assist you with what you are showing.

Looking at the chart on the left, you set the train up as shown, with the Z sized gear shown above the thread you want to cut mounted in the position Z on the left hand chart.

So to cut 32 TPI, you should have the 48 tooth gear in position Z, and for a 19 TPI you would use the 38 tooth gear.

You should have a lever somewhere on the front of your lathe marked M, and I would suspect it has two positions it can be in. When it is in position M-I you will cut 32 TPI, or if it is in position M-II, you will be cutting 16 TPI.

If that cracks the code for you, great, if not, you can show a bit more info and that will give more clues how to set up.

It took me ages to crack the charts on my lathe (actually the screwcutting dial, you have to change gears on that to give the correct indication for metric threads), because, like yourself, my manual is only good enough for wiping your a**e on. But once you get the hang of it, you will have no further trouble.

John
Bogs and John the Earl
Thank you for helping me with that threading-chart.  :bow: :beer:
PS: Bogs if you remember it was me helping you with the threading-dial over at HMEM last year, so I now we are even :lol: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:
PS PS:Bogs. When you are finished wiping your a&%¤&%)(/e with your manual, notis me and I send you my manual for free :D
CS

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 04:03:54 AM »
CS,

I remember it now, it was your reply that got me back on the straight and narrow, and on the way to cracking my code.

I actually downloaded some manuals from the Grizzly site, for machines similar, but not the same, and the info in those was a lot of help.

This is an example

http://grizzly.com/images/manuals/g4003g_m.pdf

BTW, did you get your code unlocked?

John

Offline crankshafter

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 11:51:37 AM »
CS,

I remember it now, it was your reply that got me back on the straight and narrow, and on the way to cracking my code.

I actually downloaded some manuals from the Grizzly site, for machines similar, but not the same, and the info in those was a lot of help.

This is an example

http://grizzly.com/images/manuals/g4003g_m.pdf

BTW, did you get your code unlocked?

John
John.
Yes sir, code unlocked. Thank you for for the link.
Happy CS :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: