Author Topic: Cutting Carbon Fibre tubes on a lathe  (Read 11934 times)

Offline Chas2

Cutting Carbon Fibre tubes on a lathe
« on: March 27, 2013, 03:06:56 AM »
Hiya, I need to get a clean cut on some 20mm x 1mmm wall carbon fibre rods.
I have heard you can do this on a lathe with normal carbide tips, any hints as to how to get a good cut?

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: Cutting Carbon Fibre tubes on a lathe
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 03:27:41 AM »

Hi Chas.
Welcome to the Collective.  :borg:

Would you like to write a few words about yourself, in the Introductions section?  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline PekkaNF

Re: Cutting Carbon Fibre tubes on a lathe
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 04:14:41 AM »
Hello,

You probably have checked someting like this?
http://www.protechcomposites.com/pages/Working-With-Carbon-Fiber.html

What kind of tube it is? You say "rods", but I read "tube" :)

Extruded tube (rod) has chopped fibre and high epoxy content. Cuts easy on carbide (protect youself against dust, it's not EPA approved). But hoop strength is low = Crushes easy.

If the tube has directional fibres, it's probably destined to a more demanding application and then you don't want to cut/contaminate material all over. Abrassive disk is a way to go. I have used diamond coated wheel. "Maching" carbon fibre billets is usually a bad idea....but it has it's uses when ultimate weight/strength is not needed?

I have done a little of flyfishing rod building and model aeroplane building and my view is that turning/milling carbon fibre is not the most productive way to accomplish most structurally sound construction. If it is only about looks, then it's often easier to build the contraption on any structuraly sound material and apply a cosmetically pleasing carbon fibre (or look a like) on top of it and make sure that it does not carry any load (Good carbon fibre is probably more "stiff" than suporrting structure and fails before superstructure caries any load.

Pekka