Author Topic: Simple.... but took a long time to do...  (Read 5522 times)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Simple.... but took a long time to do...
« on: March 29, 2013, 01:08:32 PM »
This doesn't really qualify as a "project", but it needed making - a set of exhaust flanges for the race car...

So, having drawn up a suitable CAD file, used the excellent CAMBAM to generate the machine paths, it was time to try it out...

First up, drilling:

Then, mill out the central holes. This saw the end of my old (blunt) 6mm cutter. A shiny new one was installed & play continued:

I got my zero a bit wrong somehow, and the nearest 2 the centres have fallen out (this could have caused cutter breakage, but luckily I saw it & was able to pause the program & remove the centres. After adjusting zero, normality resumed & the holding tabs did their job.

With all the inner holes cut, time to cut out the main shape from the plate:

With just 2mm of the last one to go, BANG, the mill smashed the cutter & shut down, not to run for another week whilst I mis-diagnosed faulty circuitry that was actually fine, broke things, had to buy replacement components, etc..... Anyway, finally, today the mill bounced back into action. New cutter, finish the last cuts off, and hurrah! What should have taken a couple of hours at least, took nearly a week. Such is life on planet AdeV.

After separating them from their stock, a bit of work with a dremel & grinding wheel to clean up the tabs, and job done :)

:med:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline micktoon

Re: Simple.... but took a long time to do...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 04:08:31 PM »
Looking good Ade  :thumbup: , Cnc is just the job for this sort of job  :) ,  Hope they have turned out as you wanted them to be in the end .
  Cheers Mick

Offline krv3000

Re: Simple.... but took a long time to do...
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 05:10:42 PM »
well dun