Author Topic: Keeping rust off tools  (Read 42730 times)

Offline rick barnes

• Tapatalk User
Re: Keeping rust off tools
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2014, 05:32:07 PM »
Calcium chloride in a perforated container will work as a desicator.  Just don't get it on your tools.  Fischer Scientific sells the reusable desiccant I used when I worked in the lab.  Put it in the oven, dry it out, and reuse it.
Using Tapatalk

Offline BlueRock

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2014, 06:39:58 AM »
Hi, Fine Woodworking? did a test a while back and found CRC Industrial 3-36 was the best rust inhibitor. I've used Lanotech and another lanoiln-based spray with good results.

Offline nel2lar

« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2014, 08:51:05 PM »
Ha Guys
Lanolin has been by gun smiths for a years but not for rust but lube for the lead bullets smooth flight down the barrel. The best place to find the lanolin is from RandyRat he's the man with lanolin. It was $13.00 a pound plus shipping. Here is where you can get in touch with Randy: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?137124-Randyrat-s-lube-ingredients-and-uses

Do not mention my name or he will charge you more.
Nelson Collar

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2014, 06:43:16 AM »
Nelson,

You want lanolin, come and get involved when we are shearing the sheep - you'll get covered in it  :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete49

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2014, 12:53:09 AM »
 :poke: I've always found that borrowing tools avoided getting yours rusty  :lol:
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline rick barnes

• Tapatalk User
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2014, 11:05:45 PM »

:poke: I've always found that borrowing tools avoided getting yours rusty  :lol:
Pete

I just found my new method. Sounds way cheaper too. 
Using Tapatalk

Offline Doc

• Old but still usefull (I hope) ?
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2014, 11:24:24 PM »
Buy blocks of champhor, slit the plastic wrapper, put in toolbox drawer. 1 or 2 blocks (2"x2"x3/8") per tool box usually works.

Just buy a box of mothballs and place a few in you tool box they will work to keep rust away from your tools.

Offline 9fingers

• Info on Induction motors (Heavily UK based!)
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2014, 09:31:03 AM »
I've just written up my solution to this problem for another forum.

http://www.woodworkuk.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11103&p=118192#p118192

HTH

Bob

Offline Houtenkrullen

« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2014, 07:00:50 AM »
Well lanolin comes from wool, and certainly my sheep don't tend to rust even in the wettest  winters :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Just as a precaution: use mothballs too. If it doesn't help on the rust issue, at least it protects the wool! ::)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2014, 07:27:07 AM »
Fly Strike is the enemy at the moment. Eggs laid in the wool develop into maggots, maggots initially survive on the lanolin then head south into the flesh  :bugeye: Come quite early this year, I suspect due to the mild winter.

Have to spray them all with Crovect at an enormous cost. Had three so far affected who need the Crovect massaging into the affected areas but got to them before they'd entered the flesh - quite satisfying seeing the maggots curl up their toes as you do it, but the sheep looses the wool in the affected area and looks rather bedraggled.

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline 9fingers

• Info on Induction motors (Heavily UK based!)
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2014, 07:36:22 AM »
Marvellous what you can learn on this forum!! :)

Bob

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2014, 08:34:39 AM »
Marvellous what you can learn on this forum!! :)

Bob

You must be surrounded by the wooly ones where you are in Romsey Bob surely, must be second nature to you  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline greenie

« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2014, 08:53:46 AM »
Fly Strike is the enemy at the moment. Eggs laid in the wool develop into maggots, maggots initially survive on the lanolin then head south into the flesh  :bugeye: Come quite early this year, I suspect due to the mild winter.

Have to spray them all with Crovect at an enormous cost. Had three so far affected who need the Crovect massaging into the affected areas but got to them before they'd entered the flesh - quite satisfying seeing the maggots curl up their toes as you do it, but the sheep looses the wool in the affected area and looks rather bedraggled.

What about if you get to the maggots too late and they are into eating the flesh, what a mess you get on the hand shears then, eh.

Then home for lunch and no matter how hard you scrub your hands, you just can't get rid of that "god awful stench" of maggot infested flesh.  :Doh:

Been there and done that and don't want to do it ever again.

Offline chipenter

« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2015, 02:25:26 PM »
Last week I opened my steel cabinet where I keep my power tools and steel stock , and found condensation drops hanging from the ceiling and my bms rusty spent over a day to clean the rust off and oil everything , found Damp Trap in poundland http://www.poundland.co.uk/scented-damp-trap , it's to soon to tell iff it's doing any good has anyone else tried them before me ?
Jeff

Offline AR1911

« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2015, 02:51:25 PM »
Fortunately I have not found maggots amongst my lanolin-slathered machine tools. What I did find yesterday was a nice Buck chuck that had missed out on the lanolin treatment - now rusty. 
  With all the rain and temp changes we have had lately, I have been checking everything as soon as I open the shop door, which every 2 or 3 days. It's been 2 years since I started using lanolin, and so far nothing has rusted except those items that I did not treat.
   I wish I had been able to treat my poor race car, stuck in the trailer with several gallons of water. I hate to even drop the door  :(

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2015, 04:29:53 PM »
Undercoated the car and truck with FluidFilm last fall -- it's lanolin and wool, too! Smells like mostly a fancy barbecue, wet dog, plus a little maggot blended in for good measure.

Salt on roads is a big eater of vehicles around here, as you can imagine...
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2015, 07:16:06 AM »
I bought a tube of Flexbar Lano-Lube about 10 years ago but it's nearly empty now, anyone know where I can get another tube as I'm having trouble finding any in the UK.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2015, 04:07:02 PM »
Will this fit the bill, 100 % pure anhydrous lanolin available on ebay. There are smaller pots available from other sellers....OZ.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lanolin-Anhydrous-USP-Low-Odour-100-Pure-500g-/361073259926?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5411a4b596
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline AR1911

« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2015, 10:50:19 PM »
Yep, that's what I'm using. Seems like I paid $16 shipped for a pound. Still got most of it.

Offline AlanT

« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2015, 03:54:36 AM »
Here is my solution:
https://flic.kr/p/oVaYid

For 40 years my ML10 has lived in this wooden-cover, I made for it.  This is heated by a 40W bulb running on 35V, from a transformer. This dissipates about 5W and is only on in cold weather.

The normal wipe over with light oil has kept this machine completely rust free.
https://flic.kr/p/nToL8S

Elsewhere I use FOOD-GRADE polythene boxes with hermetic lid seals. Inside these there is VPI paper, which only works in a confined space.

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2015, 05:21:40 AM »

Elsewhere I use FOOD-GRADE polythene boxes with hermetic lid seals. Inside these there is VPI paper, which only works in a confined space.

That's what I use for small stuff. My ER32 collets fit nicely in a Bacon box! Collet chuck is in a round Lock & Lock.

Most of my cutters, drill bits, taps etc are in 450ml clip & close boxes, £1.39 at Dunelm.

http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/clip-and-close-rectangular-food-container-239247

Offline AlanT

« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2015, 07:22:47 AM »
There are many makers of these boxes:

Sistema
Lock n Lock
Addis
Whitefurze

Each maker has a different set of dimensions so you can choose something that fits.
Unfortunately they have NO IDEA how to specify dimensions and buying is "hit and miss".

I think Sistema has the best clips and go for these first. These hinge properly, others rely on a thin plastic section as a pseudo-hinge.

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2015, 08:11:48 AM »
My favourite has always been the "Lock & Lock" brand but although they have the biggest range by far they don't always have the size you want. As said my favourite for cutters is the Addis Clip & Close 450ml that the likes of Tesco and Sainsburys used to sell. Luckily Dunelm now sell them at an even better price.

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2015, 09:27:58 AM »
Nelson,

You want lanolin, come and get involved when we are shearing the sheep - you'll get covered in it  :ddb:

This is  :offtopic:  but I just had to bring this

to Andrew's attention!   :ddb:   :ddb:   :ddb: 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 09:47:33 AM by dsquire »
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2015, 11:51:05 AM »
Thanks for that Pete - don't need a drone here - they hear me and start charging, you have to be careful not to be trodden under foot. Putting a bucket of feed into the trough is a risky business if a heavily pregnant Ewe decides to come in as a 'second row forward' between your legs.

we have JUST started lambing - 1st Ewe gave birth at 15:30 to a sturdy Ram Lamb and to his somewhat smaller brother nearly and hour later. The Ewe is a Dorset Down and the Ram was a Hampshire Down.

.... so the fun begins ...... NOT ! We had them all scanned this year so we know we have another 34 to go  :scratch:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex