Hi there, all,
At last, I have some progress to report!
I started by fitting the length of Dexion slotted angle to give added support to the front of the roof over the two front windows.
After I removed the screws securing the roof, I tried to lift the roof but failed completely!!
Then, out of the blue, we had a visit from my #1 step-son and his girlfriend. 'Did you have your spinach this morning, Bob?' says I. 'Why?' says Bob. Well, he took one look at the situation, rolled up his sleeves and heaved. It was almost a 'You're only supposed to blow the b****y doors off!' moment, I thought he was going to put the roof into orbit! Anyway, here's the result:
That piece of Dexion only extends a couple of inches beyond each end of the windows but at 10' long it's the longest length they stock. The Dexion blocks the holes where the original screws went so I fitted some angle brackets to re-attach the roof to the front wall. The sharp-eyed among you may notice that I used countersunk screws - I intended to use round-heads but their 'pro-drive' sockets didn't fit my Pozidrive screwdriver!
The next stage was to fit a temporary prop to the underside of the roof to give added support for my 15½ stone while I was gallivanting about on top! I made and fitted a couple of tapered packing pieces so that the prop had a level surface to bed against. The prop has three parts, a length of 3" x 3" timber, a 6' long 4" x 4" gate-post and a 6' length of 4" x 2". The pillar of the drilling machine was in the right place to play a part in the rigging and operation. My lovely but shy assistant called it 'a Heath-Robinson affair'! Here's a photo:
After all that, it was a case of get up the ladder and strip off the felt. That's taken a couple of days with a shed-free day in between (my 76-year old knees can only take so much!). As of this afternoon, the felt is all off. My lovely but shy assistant has done a superb job tearing all the felt into small pieces ready to go to the tip. Here's what it looked like when we'd done:
And here's a close-up of one corner:
Not exactly prime quality timber but it's not in bad condition considering I bought the shed in 1993. Of course, the shed is now vulnerable to the weather so it was 'Pipe all hands aloft to set the main-sail'! (i.e. fit a couple of 12' x 8' tarpaulins.) Just like an instalment from the Hornblower series. From inside the shed I can see lines of blue light through the gaps in the roof boards.
Very pleased to have completed this part of the job
but the weather looks as though it'll be a couple of days before we can do the next part which is fitting the vapour barrier. (As Ross said in his post, the Hampshire Monsoon is upon us!)