Author Topic: Lathe talestock  (Read 3806 times)

Offline J. Tranter

Lathe talestock
« on: March 10, 2009, 12:44:06 AM »
I have an old Logan 820 lathe and while I was working on it the other day I noticed that when I was turning between centers I noticed I was cutting a taper. I was also useing a tap and die on two seperate pieces, and when I joined them and put them back in the lathe the wobbeled.

I checked the head with a bar and a DTI and found that the head is .003 higher than the tail stock. I can lift up on the ram and can get rid of those .003.

Is there a way to fix this with out a mill?
Any help would be greatly appriciated. My project is on hold while I fix this problem.

John Tranter

bogstandard

Re: Lathe talestock
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 01:17:50 AM »
Hi John,

I had exactly the same problem on the nose of my old Atlas lathe, it had a droopy snoot, just like Concorde.

I wrote up my fix on HMEM, and did use the mill, but a few of the lads suggested their way of using the lathe to bore the tailstock nose. Maybe that would be the way for you to go.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=2114.0

I worried myself sick before doing the fix.  But once underway, realised it was no big deal.

Hope this helps and gives you the inspiration to go for it.

Bogs

Offline J. Tranter

Re: Lathe talestock
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 03:55:48 PM »
I knew you wrote something up on a fix, I just couldn't remember where. Thank you for reminding me and for your help.

John Tranter