Author Topic: My Dog Porch  (Read 12427 times)

Offline ConductorX

• The Volkswright Shop
My Dog Porch
« on: July 10, 2013, 08:29:45 AM »
I have a great dog.  She is a mixed chow that I rescued from animal control.   It is hot and humid here, for the winter time I got her a doggie igloo.  In the summer with the rain and heat she needs a place to cool off and a place to get up out of the puddles.

I built her a Dog Porch.  It has a slatted deck for air flow.  She can get under it, or on it as needed.  Also her igloo fits on the porch if the weather is cold.

I built a sturdy deck:

Put on the deck boards with spacing for air flow:

It has walls on three sides:

Covered with galvanized corrugated metal and the roof is a hard board material with vented gables:

She loves her new porch:

"G"

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: My Dog Porch
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 03:04:36 PM »
Cute dog -- looks like a small bear -- we have a rescue dog, too, up from Alabama. What's the walkway for behind the run, chickens?
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline ConductorX

• The Volkswright Shop
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 07:42:32 AM »
She actually has a big yard more than a run.  The chain link fence is to separate her yard from the house.  The entire enclosed yard is 30' x 50'.  We also have two cats that share the yard with Rikki our dog.  The yard is built to be be escape proof so the cats don't roam the neighborhood. 

It worked pretty good until I installed the chain link fence to keep Rikki separated.  The male cat would jump onto the chain link fence and then easily go "over the wall".   I installed a very mild electric fence on top of the chain link and that stopped him completely.

The enclosure is completely surrounded with wire angled in as in the photo.  The trick is the piece that sticks out 90 degrees from the end.  A cat will go up a fence and up a 45 degree angle but they can not bend backwards while hanging from the fence to go around that last bit.

"G"

Offline kwackers

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 07:58:36 AM »
An easy way to keep cats in/out is to use plastic guttering (the half round stuff). Just fasten it to the top of a fence and they can't get purchase to climb up.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 03:55:09 PM »
Rescues are the best breeds.

Nice job on the dog condo!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 04:31:27 PM »
both jobs well dun

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 02:23:28 AM »
Excellent piece of "backyard building" :clap:.  Over here, the dogs live in the people-house and us blokes are usually in the dog-house!
Procrastination; now is that an art or a craft skill?

Offline creily12

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 10:29:02 AM »
Just wondering what the dimensions were for your dog house.

Thanks