Author Topic: Bad day with a chuck!  (Read 6087 times)

Offline Arnak

Bad day with a chuck!
« on: July 11, 2013, 02:54:45 PM »
Hi Folks,

So it was near the end of the day and I had just a small amount to do in my home workshop.

I decided that I needed to use the 3 jaw chuck, as I was getting it out from under the bench it slipped out of my hand and hit the floor on a protruding jaw.

Not to worry I thought it has only fallen about 6" and it is of very robust construction so I continue to fit it to the lathe.

I turned the end of a piece of mild steel then cut it off and put the turned section back into the chuck as normal.

Hmm... it looks like I have found a new way to make an eccentric shaft I thought. :bugeye:

My obvious thought was that the chuck had been damaged by the drop, it was too late in the day to do anything about it so I had to leave it for now.

There was no time the following day as domestic duties called.... by she who must be obeyed. :bow:

However there was plenty of time to worry about the chuck and most likely a replacement, which after a check on the internet was going to cost around $150 - £200 with a backplate to be machined. :bang:

Finally I managed to get back into the workshop and removed the chuck, I decided to remove the backplate and have a look at the parts.

What did I find.... all the bolts holding the guts inside the chuck were loose. :dremel:

Having tightened them up and replacing the chuck in the lathe I found much to my surprise that the chuck was a true as it ever was. :thumbup:

So after worrying about finding the money to replace the chuck I realised that the words in the Good Book were absolutely correct....

No not that one, the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy.... "Don't Panic"

How many of use maintain their machines and forget to check the chuck screws?

I know I have never checked them, now I will ocassionally at least.

If I had the time when it happened it would have saved me from a days worry about having to spend a lot of money I could ill afford to loose.

Oh yes, will I have your attention what are the 3 grub screws around the edge of the chuck that are near the square chcuk key positions?

They look about 4mm and were very loose so I tightened them up and it didn't seem to cause any problems.

Arnak

Offline RussellT

Re: Bad day with a chuck!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 04:46:38 PM »
I've had similar experiences - and still worry about stuff  :scratch: - maybe one day I'll take it all in my stride. :med:

In my experience the grub screws are long screws which fit in a groove on the outside of the key squares and stop them falling out - so yes, they should be tight.

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 04:48:25 PM »
Arnak,

lucky escape........ :coffee:

The three grub screws are to locate the three square adjusters in the body of the chuck....
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline tekfab

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 05:27:10 PM »
LOL !  How was it a bad day ? 

Offline Arnak

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 06:22:34 PM »
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the info on the grub screws, lucky I tightened them up as they were on the verge of coming right out! :bugeye:

It was a bad day when I first noticed it was way out of true and the next day when I couldn't get out into the workshop to see if I needed a new chuck.

Of course I had assumed that I did and started to price them up.....

Why do these things always happen at the end of the day and on a day when you can't get back into the worksop for at least 24 hours. :palm:

Arnak