Author Topic: Furnace Clearance  (Read 3729 times)

Offline tekfab

Furnace Clearance
« on: July 16, 2013, 04:18:29 PM »
To those of you who have built and are using their own furnaces is there an optimum clearance size between the crucible and the inner furnace lining ?

Mike Young

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
Re: Furnace Clearance
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 04:21:44 PM »
Hi
Mine has about 1 inch at the widest point
John

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: Furnace Clearance
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 05:43:07 PM »
I'd recommend an inner diameter 75-100 mm larger than the outer diameter of the crucible. Any narrower and you can't drop charcoal briquets (If you use them)  down around both sides of the crucible -- and also proper lift out tongs are sometimes pretty thick, and hardly fit around the crucible on both sides before they are clamped down. Particularly if the crucible tilts against a wall -- as my last pour demonstrated. Also you may at some point want to go to a larger crucible.

I just built my last furnace 7" dia, and I wish it had been 8" (200mm) as my first furnace had been, for all of the above reasons.

I think 200-225 mm bore is a good diameter for small furnaces in general.

The only problem with that might be whether you have enough room for refractory with whatever metal shell you are using.

I used 4" (200 mm) of refractory for an iron melting furnace using traditional materials (clay sand brick).

My first aluminum furnace had a shell of only 1.25" (32mm) (clay/sand) and it was perfectly fine for aluminum, and could handle an occasional brass melt.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg