Author Topic: A0 Bonelle TCG - Metric drawings  (Read 22030 times)

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
A0 Bonelle TCG - Metric drawings
« on: July 29, 2013, 01:51:29 AM »
For us who are imperial impaired.. I found these after some extensive google-fu

http://www.mosoft.nl/slijpmachine/A0%20Bonelle%20TCG%20drawings%20Metric.pdf
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline Fergus OMore

Re: A0 Bonelle TCG - Metric drawings
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 03:21:57 AM »
Actually the Bonelle is a fabricated version of Professor Dennis Chaddock's Quorn tool and cutter grinder.
Probably it is slightly easier and a little cheaper as it avoids castings.
Really, the Imperial/Metric comment is not too important because the main three pieces of precision ground steel- ie 1.000" and 1.250" are easily changed. Chaddock in his blurb goes on to suggest that the clamps and the ball handles can be made in any old thread- imperial BSF/BSW. SAE and whatever.

Long before all this, one of my old matey's made one up a Quorn from welded up scrap. I think that I upset a few purists( actually a lot) by saying that it was better.

Mine- made from castings but avoiding the dreaded closing of nipping from split holes( a la George Thomas) is rusting under the bench.

It's interesting work which teaches many lessons.

Offline tekfab

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 05:19:00 AM »
Well Fergus I'm sure it would be better not rusting in a nice little spot I have in mind so if you want to sell it i would like to have first refusal ?
Keep up the good work !

Mike

Offline unc1esteve

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 06:03:30 AM »
I completed the Bonelle T&CG.  I posted pictures of it on the Quorn owners site.  I would post a picture here but my life is too short to invest time trying to learn, understand and follow the recent instructions on this site.  The little smiley faces say this thread is worthless without picts but I just do not get it.

During this build I ran into the same discussion about imperial/metric dimensions and thread sizes.  I do not understand this either.  If I need a particular system of measurement I press the button on my digital caliper.  I do not understand the need to make totally new drawings.  I write the required dimension next to the offending one.  I use a thread conversion chart printed off the internet.  Should I not have the called out thread I use the next closest one from the chart and make the notation on the drawing.  I am not an engineer so I do not understand the many, subtle nuances of screw thread design.  There are many things I do not understand.

I live in Shreveport, LA, where we benefit from the constant high humidity of the Gulf Coast.  One of which is it is a perfect environment for iron oxide.  My machine sits on the top of my bench rusting away.  I used a black oxide coating on every part I could and used chrome bars and brass.  But the items not protected or changed rust.  I try to avoid wiping with oil because of the grinding dust.  I long ago gave up the idea of keeping metal parts in this environment bright.  Dust is another problem.  My area is air-conditioned but the outside dust still gets in and settles upon everything.  Being an old man and living alone, I just let it settle.  A cover would help but not with the rust.  I prefer to see the enemy.  Your machine would fit right in.  Were I closer I would try to talk you out of it.  I have found many uses for the grinder and have had occasion to make more accessorizes and modifications.

Am reading Thomas's books and just read about the superior wedging effect of the split cotters.  The Bonelle uses all split cotters.

I made mine from scrap bar stock from an hydraulic repair shop.  The shop lets me take whatever I find in their rubbish can.  The only expense was for the motor, belt, wiring.

The Bonelle is much better than the Quorn for making modifications as you are not limited by the castings.

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 06:17:08 AM »
Two answers- I hope both are constructive :loco:

The first is the Quorn itself and from time to time, I want a little grinder on my mill and detach part of the Quorn to do this. The late Philip Amos did something similar- and wrote it up.

And so to Uncle Steve( greetings and welcome). AS you know, the normal way to do the bed bars is to bore and then split the casting. My experience was that my first Quorn ( there are or were two) nipped up once the bore was done. It's a so and so and I'd hit it when I did the Westbury mill and scraping the round column in was nigh impossible. Digressing, but you did raise dear old George Thomas, he hit the same problem with the Mark One castings for the Universal Pillar Tool. When I did mine- to Bill Bennett's book and not George's original, I had no problems with the Mark Two's.

A little aside- I'can't do photos :doh:

Kind regards

Norman

Offline unc1esteve

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 06:40:14 AM »
I am glad some one else has difficulty with photos.  I thought I was the only one.  On my other sites it is a simple matter of a few mouse clicks.

I had thought about using the motor head as a grinder as the Professor suggested but it is too awkward because of the Bonelle jack screw and the weight of the motor.  I want to replace the motor with a much smaller variable DC.

I made a much smaller grinder following Achim Stienke's design that can be mounted on the lathe or mill.

My two books are edited by Bennett.  I like the old-timers' way of speaking.

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 06:53:35 AM »
Ah well, i looked for quorn castings and gave up. Rob tipped me about the Bonelle and i got the imperial with fraction measurements.. well my dial caliper cant be set to fractional inches, and im to lazy to convert it.. But i will prob. moste likely look at the pretty pictures and wing it from there with what i got in my scrapbin, the local shops scrappiles and whatever i can scrounge up.. I really dont want this to cost me a kidney, my shirt and my firstborn child.

Buut i know some people like me cant really get the hang of imperial measurements so i thought these metric plans could come in handy..

Anyways these seems like nifty grinders when your out of spare cutters and the dull-box has filled up. =)
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 07:57:00 AM »
pekka -You have a PM.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 07:59:44 AM »
Neotech,

here's a table with fractional inches to decimal inches and mm.

http://www.hamuniverse.com/antfrac.html

I was brought up on imperial, but I began machining in metric, so I understand the decimal inch/fractions problem!

Regards, Matthew

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 10:21:13 AM »
I completed the Bonelle T&CG.  I posted pictures of it on the Quorn owners site.

Hi Steve , any chance you could post a  link to that site so we can have a look at your Bonelle  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline unc1esteve

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 03:36:18 PM »
Rob,

Here is the link, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/quorn_owners/

It is in the photo section under Bonelle by Steve McKuhen.
You may have to join the site to view pictures.

Edit, There ae 105 pictures of the build.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:04:59 AM by dsquire »

Offline unc1esteve

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 03:39:39 PM »
I just figured out how to post pictures.
Now I need to figure out how to re-size them
as I suggested to Puretexas?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 04:14:06 PM »

Unc1esteve,

If you are running Windows 7 list the files in your directory, right click the file you want to re-size, select 'open with' then 'paint'. It has a very simple re-sizing facility - select 'pixels' then 640 x 480 and save the file. You can also crop it, rotate it etc in paint while you are there.

Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline unc1esteve

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 05:46:15 PM »
Rob,
A good build of a Quorn is pictured under Waukesha Quorn, 62 pictures.

Offline puretexan

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 09:55:54 PM »
I found the best way is in your Photobucket...click edit...then resize. I did 600
on the first number and it chose the second automatically. Then click change
the original. It will give you a size viewable here and not too big. Like this.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 02:24:48 AM by puretexan »

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2013, 03:41:20 AM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Now that looks a very well made TCG Steve  :bow: :bow:

Thanks for the photos and the link  :thumbup:  , now you have mastered posting photos I hope we will get to see more of your work  :poke: ,,,,,,,,,did you mention EDM in one post ?    :)

Rob

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 10:24:51 AM »
That was one neat looking grinder.. ooh projects stacking up.. so much todo so little time.

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 10:46:07 AM »
I live in Shreveport, LA, where we benefit from the constant high humidity of the Gulf Coast.  One of which is it is a perfect environment for iron oxide.

Steve -- Try hard (i.e. high carnuba content) wax.  I spent a year in New Orleans for NASA living in the Michoud area.  I live in western Washington State (where we don't tan, we rust!) and a good coat of 60% carnuba, 20% beeswax, and 20% parafin wax does wonders.

Offline ausdier

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 12:28:12 PM »
Just another project to finish for me.
I have the raw material roughed and just waiting for some TLC from me.
Drawn from metric plans about 5 years ago now.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:06:46 AM by dsquire »

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 02:39:13 PM »
Ausdier, interesting design it has some changes. Care to elaborate reasoning and choices. Just curious. :coffee:

Thank you,
Pekka

Offline ausdier

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 11:24:35 PM »
G'day Pekka,
What changes are you talking about ?
Cheers.

Offline borriss

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 06:16:48 AM »
Hi Guys,
If I can butt in your discussion about Quorn/ Bonelles. When I made my Quorn I made the bar beds out of non-magnetic austenitic stainless steel. This has two benefits, one they do not rust and two the swarf from the grinding does not stick to the bars. Otherwise it is just as the Professor designed it.
Regards,
Borriss

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 06:34:36 AM »
G'day Pekka,
What changes are you talking about ?
Cheers.
Hi Ausdier,
Sorry I was tired and I tought that there were differences on workhead assy to bar part, and mike dial looked different off-hand, but now when I'm bit more rested I can't put my finger on anything. It just "looked" different than I expected....I admit I'm here on thin ice. I have Quorn-book, but never got casting, neither made one....just too versatile and complicated to my predicted use.

Is it essentially same Bonelle than on OP's link?

Pekka

Offline unc1esteve

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 10:49:54 AM »
I made the Bonelle T&C Grinder.  I believe one of the reasons the Bonnelle was designed was that it could be changed or modified much easier than the Quorn.  The Quorn site has several threads concerning modifications.

Offline ausdier

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2013, 10:51:01 AM »
Outstanding idea Borriss.
All good Pekka.
I too have the Quorn book ( paper and electronic ) but no castings and hope one day to build both but at this stage just don't have the room.
When I come to do the Quorn I will be doing my own castings.
Also there may be some slight differances as I converted my Bonnelle from the imperial plans and added some of my own little features.
I also have drawn the Bonnelle in imperial as per the plans with no mods.
Cheers.