Author Topic: A bike build  (Read 9645 times)

Offline puretexan

A bike build
« on: July 29, 2013, 04:05:37 PM »
Ok I will post a bike build. I just added another 8' onto my shop, and its already full of bikes. Hence the move to a
machine shop. So here is where I build custom framed bikes.

This is the inside

I normally make the top tube out of 16ga 1 1/2'' tubing. I do a sweeping bend with my trusty harbor freight roller bender and then throw it on the floor to get a direction. My wife makes hot salsa and it usually gives me
direction in my dreams

[
I tack it all together and there really isn't any need for a jig, because the front is all out of 1 1/2'' stuff. Lay it flat
on my table , tack the tubes together and flip it over and tack the other side. Once its tacked well, I weld it together and then mockup the wheels and where the rear triangle should go. After a while at building them you
kinda see where you are going so it all works. I have certain measurements I go with. The crank holder has to be 10'' front edge to the back of the front tire or your foot will hit when you pedal. It has to be 12'' from the bottom to the ground so the pedals won't hit , and then if you 5'9'' it has to be 21'' from the side to the seat post where
it will be comfortable to ride without you knees hitting your chest. Then make sure the chain is lined up where it won't hit the bottom tube of the triangle.

Then you wind up with this.

This is a kinda condensed version of how I build one. They are pretty simple to do.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: A bike build
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 05:35:52 PM »
Thank you, puretexan!  :bow: :clap:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 06:27:15 PM »
You are very creative and obviously highly skilled.  I like the new design.  Ralph

Offline puretexan

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 07:07:08 PM »
Thanks guys, as you build them, you try to make the next one look a little
better. So as I have built them I have gotten better. Its no great feat to build one. They are pretty simple. Four pieces of pipe and a couple wheels. As you get older your skills at welding get better, but you vision gets worse. So as I try to make my
welds look better, they actually stay about the same. I'm pretty good with a flap disk and some bondo, so the welds disappear. :thumbup: Glad yall enjoyed them.

Offline clevinski

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 10:23:27 PM »
Wow... that is really cool!  Beautiful work!
Thanks,
Charlie

Offline JustGregL

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 01:14:26 PM »
New to the forum.
I really like what you have created!
When I rest, I rust.

Offline magnet

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 07:49:24 AM »
lovely work thats inspired me to give this a go.........Thanks............. Magnet

Offline ivansgarage

• Ivan's Garage
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 03:42:46 PM »
Very nice workmanship, seeing that large space where that pedal crank is reminds me of batteries and electric motor.

More pics of my ebike.
http://ivanbennett.com/e-cycle.html
Ivan's Garage
Web Site  http://ivanbennett.com 
Forum  http://ivanbennett.com/forum

Offline Davo J

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 04:28:08 PM »
Cool bikes and tidy workshop thanks for posting

Dave

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 04:48:23 AM »
Hi

That is great looking machine, well done.

Cheers David

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 10:13:29 PM »
I've been cycling for 30 years and have ridden quite a few different styles, road, mountain, hybrid and "beach".  The beach bike was ridden at Cape Canaveral and was one of the most comfortable riding bikes I've ever ridden.  Your bike looks a lot like that..a nice relaxed riding position.  Great workmanship

Cheers,
Phil