Author Topic: Rounding Over Jig  (Read 20195 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Rounding Over Jig
« on: March 12, 2009, 11:11:33 AM »
When I started my index head thread I discovered I needed to make a few jigs to make the clamp that will hold the spindle from turning. That piece is made from aluminum. Here's what I ended up with. You'll notice that the corners still need to be rounded.

I did some brain storming as to how I was going to do it.  :med: The easy way would be to use a rotary table but unfortunately I don't have one at the moment. So I needed to come up with something else. I remembered that Marv Klotz had made a small round over jig for doing small links for steam engines and such. Here's his Round Over Jig

This gave me the idea to make something similar but a bit bigger. This is not going to be a how to with dimensions. Just a few pics of how I did it with a short explanation.

Here are all the parts. The table (upside down), the square drawbar holder with the appropriate holes, the draw bar, a 5/16" centering pin, and the bolt and washers to draw the drawbar tight.

The square bar attached to the table with the draw rod in place with the washers.

A quick shot of what it looks like before inserting the locating pin.

Here it is right side up with the locating pin installed and clamped tight.

And a picture of the whole works clamped up in the vise ready for some action. I still need to add some stop blocks. That will come with the first job.

Now here's the dilemma. I ordered a 10" rotary table yesterday after clearing it with the CFO. It should be here next week. So the question is, do I wait for the table to get here or do I try out my jig and possibly ruin the clamp?

Stay tuned and find out.

Bernd

P.S. Ralph, this is how I thought of rounding over the square ends on this part.
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Rounding Over Jig
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 11:16:40 AM »
 :worthless:

Get the drift here Bernd....  :poke:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 12:09:29 PM »
My ISP provider for my website is having problems apperantly. I did notice earlier they were loading very slowly for haveing a DSL line. Stay tuned.

Bernd

12:45 PM. Looks like my ISP is back up and running. Enjoy the pics.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 12:46:00 PM by Bernd »

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 12:56:35 PM »
Let you off then  :whip:

Looks good btw, be interesting to see how well this works  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 01:01:37 PM »
You made it, you gotta use it!!

Bogs

Offline Bourne Bill

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 01:18:35 PM »
looks good to me, but I think I would have threaded the pivot pin, so you could make different size pins for different things that need to be rounded over...... hope that makes sense.........
Life is short, eat dessert first...........

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 01:47:58 PM »
I worked on the round over jig today. I made the plug to fit in the clamp plate, plus I cut 1/4-20 threads on the end of a piece of steel for the pin, plus nut and washers. Here's a pic of all the materials.

Here are all the parts assembled on the round over jig.

While I was working on all the above and unbeknown to me the UPS driver was here and left a package for me.

Low and behold it's my 10" (254mm) dia. rotary table and a free present.

And here it is on the machine.

Now the dilemma. Do I use the round over jig or the rotary. I know Bogs said "you built it, now use it". I will but I decided I wasn't going to use it on a piece that has taken me several days to make. So as soon as it warms up to room temp and I put some oil in the table, plus I need to make some T-nuts to be able to hold the parts.

Stay tuned as the saga continues.

Bernd

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 01:59:44 PM »
I would love to see you use your own jig Bernd, but I'd probably feel the same way having spent so many hours working on this part.

Sooooo,,,,,,,up to you mate, I know what I would do  :ddb:

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 04:43:09 AM »
Nice tool you built there Bernd..... As John said " You made it, you gotta use it!!"     :dremel:    :whip: 
Just one thing... Don't you need a recess for the cuttig tool to drop through/into? Else you will not get right to the bottom of the workpiece... Or were you planning on turning it over?

Well that's a very nice looking hat you got there.... and a free rotary table too!! Not a bad deal.... These hats can be quite expensive without the free gift to take the edge off the price!  :)

Well.... Talk about a dilema.... I'd at least make a mock shape to prove your jig works  :thumbup:   

Then if your still edgy, use the RT..... Well that's my opinion anyhow :)

Looking forward to seeing the work and result either way  :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 05:35:39 AM »
Hi Bernd

Quite a choice you've got there,  :scratch: I take it each ends got a radius, if it has do a judgment of Solaman do one with each bit of kit they  :wave:

Cheers

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 09:19:17 AM »
Ralph,

The jig will definatley get used. I'm just a bit afraid that if the part got away from me I wreak the part and end mill. So I'm going to use the rotary to do the radius. I need to make some ipmerial threaded and sized bolts ro bolt it to the table and I need to make some t-bolts to bolt the part to the table first.

I eas going to hold the cutter up from the bottom about 1/8", put on the radius and then turn it over. Just like you suggested.

:lol:                                       :lol:                                     :lol:                            :lol:
That hat cost me $232.95 plus $16.60 for tax for a total of $249.55. Sure glad it came with a free rotary table.

Stew,

Your right, quite a choice. Both ends will get radiused.

I will be using both tools and will post on the progress as I go.

Bernd

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 07:00:52 PM »
Bernd
Nice work on  the rounding table. Without trying to hijack your thread, here is the one I made a while back. I took a little different approach and gave it a round table top, which made it an even more useful tool. It was the tool of choice when I built the pivot arms for the Water Pressure Engine. I let me do both, the rounding and the tapered cuts with ease. The whole design is shown, in full break down, in a thread on the HMEM board at http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=2055.0

Steve

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »
Oh sure Steve, now you tell me about the round table after I get done with mine. Sheeeeeesh.  :lol:

I guess I needed a few of these  :hammer: and maybe a few of these  :wack: since I didn't think about it.

So, you know what's going to happen now don't you?  :D

Bernd

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 05:03:49 PM »
Well I finally got some T-nuts and bolts made for the RT.

I used a bolt to make the bolts for the RT. I cut the bolt to length. Made it to .500" dia. and threaded a 1/2"-20 thread on the end using a single point tool in the lathe. Why, because I don't have 1/2"-20 thread die. The T-bolts are milled from some mild steel. The four for the RT slots are tapped for 5/16"-24. Why? Becasue I have 5/16"-24 threaded rod on hand. Now all I need to do is make some 5/16"-24 nuts and I'll be ready to start rounding over the clamp I've made for the indexhead.

This could happen this weekend if all goes to plan.

I'm itchen' to get this done so I can start on a pipe/tube bender. It's going to be the same as Ralph made.

See Ralph I told you you'd get it yours done before I did. :)

Bernd

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 05:12:16 PM »
Nice, I must spend an eve making some T'nuts... :thumbup:

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 08:29:55 PM »
Looking good Bernd :thumbup:

I'm waiting to see this rounding procedure.... It'll come in handy I'm sure?!

The tubing bender.... It'll be interesting to see your version....

Darren, I don't know how the others do it but I made my "T" nuts by shaping a long length of steel in the mill then drilling and tapping it before I cut it into the smaller nuts.... Worked well for me, and they're all the same size!! :)

Ralph.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 08:09:54 AM »
Darren, I don't know how the others do it but I made my "T" nuts by shaping a long length of steel in the mill then drilling and tapping it before I cut it into the smaller nuts.... Worked well for me, and they're all the same size!! :)

Ralph.

:doh:  :doh:  :bang:  :bang: Why didn't I do that.

Next T nuts are going to be made a la Ralph's way.  :)

Bernd

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 04:08:45 PM »
Why didn't I do that.
    Dunno..... Why not?  :scratch: 

Now this is rich coming from a guy sat in front of his computer instead of his cold shop  (and it has turned really cold!.... Well colder than last week anyhow!)  But.......   You ready to round this baby off yet Bernd?  :)

What.... It's not the weekend? .... Do you retired guys know the difference?     :D

I'll wait patiently like I should  :( 

Ralph. :ddb:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 04:21:14 PM »
Yes Bernd, just how did you torture yourself making these then  :lol:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 08:32:55 PM »
Ralph,

I discovered that if I don't keep track of the days I get very confused.  But then any day is Sunday to me so it doesn't count when I say weekend.  :scratch:

Yup, I'm ready for rounding. But I'm not telling when now. (could use a "sticking out tougne" )  :ddb:

Darren, I've included a picture or two so I won't have to type 2000 words.  :lol:

Here's a piece of mild steel all milled up ready for the threaded holes in front of the original four I made.

And here they are, all cut into little pieces about 1" long ready for use. The first four that I made are on the left. It took about 2 hours to make the other six. A lot faster than the individual four I originally made.

So, that's it for this thread. I'll be back working on the indexhead thread as I start the rounding over process on the clamp plate.

Bernd :ddb:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 11:36:54 AM »
I lied a little about this thread being over.  ::)

While I have the RT all lined up I figured I'd make it round. Like what Cedge showed earlier in a picture he posted in this thread. I saw how to make clamps to make stops for the amount that you want the end of a part rounded off. With a square plate like I had made that couldn't be done very well. Sooooo..............

And here it is all finished up.  :ddb:

Now all I need to make are a couple of stops.  :dremel:

So I guess the thread won't be over until I get those done.  :proj:

Bernd

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 10:22:36 PM »
Lookin good there, Bernd. The round top definitely adds a bit of function to an already useful design. Mine gets used fairly often.  Glad I could share the idea.

Steve

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 01:13:54 AM »
Well done that man

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

it certainly looks a tidy bit of kit

:ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2009, 10:04:42 AM »
No doubt very nice work.  I have some parts that rounding and I am more than disappointed with my by hand method.  The Webster I am working on I would like to have a more professional look to it and a jig like this sure would help.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 01:44:21 PM »
Good looking piece of toolkit there Bernd, very nicely finished off  :thumbup: