Author Topic: damascus steel  (Read 4463 times)

Offline tom osselton

damascus steel
« on: August 10, 2013, 07:49:06 PM »
 :doh:I read somewhere that a scientist and a blacksmith figured out the metals for damascus were beaten into each other during forging and now I have found this on making crucible damascus and figured someone here would find it interesting.

Tom

Dam thats twice now lol! Here it is  http://primalfires.yuku.com/topic/1950#.UgbBhX23PMI
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 01:54:06 AM by tom osselton »

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: damascus steel
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 10:53:20 PM »
I think you're missing a link, Tom!

But yes I'm very interested in wootz /damascus/ viking steel. Rob Wilson got me intersted. Problem is what to do with it after making it. I'm not into cutlery, or pounding it gently for days! But it would be just a cool thing to have, and also I have a friend smith I might make a present of it to. The actual process itself isn't that difficult -- sealed crucible with measured proportioned ingredients plus glass flux in a furnace capable of melting it all. But not supposed to be easy to make correctly, or qualitatively, and you need some very low carbon iron to start with.

The cost of gauge plate here has made me wonder about just making round bar of high carbon steel for some tools I'd like to do -- cutters 2" diameter for instance. Might be easier than wootz, and more useful.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 02:04:34 AM »
Well it is over my head I have to get some casting time in first with aluminum,  and I need a crucible for iron but when the time comes I will cast the cylinders from my dad's patterns I have all the cores including intake and exhaust.

Tom

Offline steam oil

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 03:49:14 AM »
Hi

I have just been watching this video
although not modelling it is interesting way of making and using damascus steel

Brian

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 06:00:49 PM »
That's an excellent reference Tom. I hadn't seen that one before. Thank you!  :beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 06:32:09 PM »
It seems a lot like the japanese way for their blades they fire their furnace for I belive 72 hours nonstop mindyou they produce a lot more metal. The show I saw on that they did the final temper that curves the blade and sets the pattern painted on with clay, tempered in a dark room and quenched at the color of the rising sun.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 12:35:03 PM »
It all sounds very romantic, but when it comes down to it it's just years of trial, error, and whacking hot steel.