Author Topic: Log Store  (Read 74148 times)

Offline RossJarvis

Re: Log Store
« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2013, 05:26:37 PM »
Phewee, two days work to write up.  We had friends round for tea last night, jolly tasty they were too!  But it’s put me a day behind keeping updated.

I think last time I’d put the end-rafters on and cut slots for the normal rafters, but not cut in the birds mouths.  So, with all the rafters in place, I strapped The Big Austrian across the rafters;

…and measured the drop to the end boards;

I could then mark up the rafter and squared back;

I could then cut out the birds mouths;

These boards were “waney edged” I think it’s called, with bark along the edges on one side;

Then I could start putting the rafters in;

I found one was a little out;

..so I recut the other birds mouth;

And then they were all in;

I wanted to mark out the front edge of the roof, so set the distance from the top of the end rafters, in multiples of 3 inches to where the front looked okay, I used the 3 inch measure as the “shingles” were 6”.  I cut a kerf in the rafter to slot the tape in;

Then I could clamp up The Big Austrian to mark out the ends of each rafter to get a good straight line;

Then I squared down for the rafter ends and marked out the “bottom” of the rafter, on one, to use as a template;

Then a bit of ZZZd  ZZZe ZZZd ZZZe;

And then I could cut the end rafter from the template, I also cut away some of the internal support, so it wouldn’t be seen so easily;

..and before we knew it, a bunch of rafters;

Some how, all my slots were a wee bit wider than necessary, so I cut some mini-wedges;

to wedge the doo-dahs;

….and then bashed some nails in to hold them down;

And then I could put the first three battens on;

The first two were on edge and the third was flat, this was to take account of the front row of shingles not having another shingle to rest on.  I used a rule to mark a straight line from the top of the front batten down to the third;

…..then apply the noisy blue machine to get a smooth planed line (not);

We’ll not get too worried about that, let’s just put some more battens on shall we;

…and then we’ll cut up some shingles;

I placed the shingles on the front battens, starting on a centre(ish) line, with a ¼” overhang, drilled holes for two nails at the top (to prevent splitting) and DDDRRRRRLLL, Bang;

I also pinned the front of the shingles down to prevent movement.  These pins are just plain steel wire, so will rust out in time;

and voila, two rows of shingles;

That was yesterday, and today ZZZd  ZZZe ZZd ZZe, BANG BANG BASH;

A finished log store!  I must say I’m well chuffed with the result (and even more chuffed with some of the jokes I’ve come up with along the way).  I generally enjoyed doing this and felt working in the garden, with only a bit of staging for a workbench was quite liberating.  I’ve learnt a lot and had some good repartee with people on this site.  I hope you enjoyed watching and had as much fun as I did.

Here’s a few details;

Here’s what’s left of the £150 of wood;

And here it is gone;

Thanks for watching and thanks for all the friendly and helpful comments.  Cheery bye!

Procrastination; now is that an art or a craft skill?

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #126 on: September 06, 2013, 06:52:30 PM »
Hi Ross,
I enjoyed it - very good  :thumbup: :clap:

Will there be any sides?
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #127 on: September 07, 2013, 02:31:50 AM »
Hi Ross,
I enjoyed it - very good  :thumbup: :clap:

Will there be any sides?
DaveH

I was thinking about that, Pete or Pekka mentioned having slats to hold stuff in but let air circulate, or have removable panels.  It wasn't planned in.  I'll wait to see how things work out.  The mark 1 version doesn't and seems fine.  The issue would be whether the logs fall out or if the "wet" gets in.  Some kind of divider would probably help too.  I think routing a slot down the centre of the posts would give the option of removable bits of batten.

Cheers Dave :wave:

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #128 on: September 07, 2013, 02:36:37 AM »
Well done I've enjoyed the build and the humor! Now that it is done did you let your apprentice go or keep him on?

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #129 on: September 07, 2013, 02:44:24 AM »
Well done I've enjoyed the build and the humor! Now that it is done did you let your apprentice go or keep him on?

Well, he wont shift anything, fetch anything, steals the Hob-nobs and is very cheeky and I can't see him earning much from any work :scratch:, but he's actually quite good company and very affectionate, I think I'll keep him on :loco:

Thanks for watching Tom

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #130 on: September 07, 2013, 03:38:11 AM »
Well done - smart and practical.

I've never put on a shingle roof so am talking about something I know nothing, but I had always presumed that the grain of the shingles was laid to the fall of the roof giving the water a far better chance of run off and better watertightness if a shingle splits. I'd also assumed that it would have sarking felt  or its modern equivalent laid to the roof before battening as you would with tiles or slates.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #131 on: September 07, 2013, 04:08:24 AM »
Hi there, Ross and all,

I enjoyed this thread very much.  Ross, if only the car parking was easier around your gaff   :bang:   :bang:   :bang:   :bang: , I might have come over for a cultural exchange visit or two. 

I agree with Andrew about the grain direction of  shingles but also I understand that proper shingles are riven, not sawn.  I don't know what species of wood would be used for that, perhaps our American friends will tell us?
I bet there'll be someone making them at the next Milland Rural Fair!

On some jobs, my father would first hold each nail head down on something massive and strike the point with his hammer to blunt the tip - he reckoned this made the nail cut its way through the wood fibres instead of wedging between them, thus reducing the tendency for splitting.  I've tried it and it works!
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #132 on: September 07, 2013, 05:33:02 AM »
Well done - smart and practical.

I've never put on a shingle roof so am talking about something I know nothing, but I had always presumed that the grain of the shingles was laid to the fall of the roof giving the water a far better chance of run off and better watertightness if a shingle splits. I'd also assumed that it would have sarking felt  or its modern equivalent laid to the roof before battening as you would with tiles or slates.

:Doh:

Awemawson, you have spotted two of my deliberate mistakes! :Doh:

I don't know much about roof coverings, so was using feather board,  as it's wedge shaped in profile I put it on thin end to the top, so the grain's across the roof.  If I did it again, I'd follow what you're saying, which seems right and probably use parallel faced board.  On mark 1 there's a lot of problems with splits and curling of the shingles.  I'd thought about some kind of barrier, roof felt or whatever, but couldn't be bothered if the truth were told.  I'm sort of hoping the overlaps will keep some wet stuff out.  However as I miscalculated the number of boards, twice :bang:.  the overlap actually decreases toward the top as I'm one run of shingles down.  However I think this blends the top run in with the rest.  Let's just hope the drying action of not-wet days, is compensation for wet penetration on wet days.  If you look at the inside photo of the roof, you can see the gaps!

Well observed and I'll follow your advice or look up a book :coffee: for mark 3.  Thanks for the comments :beer:

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #133 on: September 07, 2013, 05:40:26 AM »

I agree with Andrew about the grain direction of  shingles but also I understand that proper shingles are riven, not sawn.  I don't know what species of wood would be used for that, perhaps our American friends will tell us?
I bet there'll be someone making them at the next Milland Rural Fair!

On some jobs, my father would first hold each nail head down on something massive and strike the point with his hammer to blunt the tip - he reckoned this made the nail cut its way through the wood fibres instead of wedging between them, thus reducing the tendency for splitting.  I've tried it and it works!

Hiya Pete :wave:

I think cedar is a popular waterproof choice, though I can't remember if that's traditionally British (chestnut?), and it's split with a froe traditionally here.  That's another learning curve to go through :coffee: plus learning how to put them on and which way round.

I think I heard about the nail trick, but forgot it.  I'd love to learn all these old ways before they're forgotten.

cheers Pete and thanks for your kind comments.

Ross

Offline DaveH

« Reply #134 on: September 07, 2013, 11:56:51 AM »
Ross,
I think it is very well made with all the proper joints and all.
Being as you have shown me yours, I show you mine  :D
DaveH

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #135 on: September 07, 2013, 05:40:10 PM »
Ross,
I think it is very well made with all the proper joints and all.
Being as you have shown me yours, I show you mine  :D
DaveH

Thanks Dave

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #136 on: September 08, 2013, 08:45:39 AM »
That is very nice. Don't worry about any small hickups. You said it would be just to learn stuff (an I think you enjoyed some sunny afternoons, didn't you?).

Showed this thread to my wife and she would like me to make one like that just for look of it, and shorter walk to proper storage.

Pekka

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #137 on: September 08, 2013, 01:09:43 PM »
Ross

It's nice to see that you took the extra time to use some joints to hold the structure together rather than just screws or nails. The nails would have been faster but the use of joints will be appreciated more. As others have said Ross, job well done. Thanks for showing us how it was built and for the way in which you descrbed it.  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #138 on: September 09, 2013, 06:19:47 AM »
That is very nice. Don't worry about any small hickups. You said it would be just to learn stuff (an I think you enjoyed some sunny afternoons, didn't you?).

Showed this thread to my wife and she would like me to make one like that just for look of it, and shorter walk to proper storage.

Pekka

Ooh, careful, that's how I got into this in the first place, now I've made Mark 2, Mark 1 has had improvements requested by the "better half". :doh:  You'll be making one for everyone before you know it.

Offline mosey

« Reply #139 on: September 10, 2013, 09:44:14 AM »
Red Cedar is the material of choice here, and it is hand-split. We call them"shakes", I don't know why.
Mosey in the new Jersey

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #140 on: September 23, 2013, 07:49:44 AM »
And finally, all in place and wood delivered during a deluge and stacked;

It doesn't look too level with the fence but that can wait, particularly with 1/2 ton of ash in it! :wave:

(If anyone from Scandinavia is curious, that, apparently, is supposed to be about half a winter's worth of burning wood for our climate.  I'd probably use that a lot quicker myself!).

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #141 on: September 23, 2013, 08:37:49 AM »
Easy to underestimate how much wood you'll get through.

We've probably used at least half that volume already in the recent colder snap. Admittedly it's only willow and burns very quickly when dry, but - hey - it was free.

I've stacked (I think) 11 jumbo 1 ton bags full in the 'ready to use' log store. (They don't hold a ton of willow), and have another four on stand by under cover, with a further 10 out in the open. I'm sure we'll use all the covered ones this winter. I have another 10 jumbos of Yew ready for next year, but burning the willow first as otherwise it'll rot away to nothing.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline DaveH

« Reply #142 on: September 23, 2013, 03:08:03 PM »
Well Ross, that does look rather splendid  :clap:
DaveH

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #143 on: September 24, 2013, 06:37:53 AM »
Cheers guys.

Awemawson, as Pekka said, this type of store is more of an "entertainment".  Toni only has one small log burner to assist the Central Heating, possibly more as an aesthetic assistance.   She's hoping this'll last about 3 months, I could easily see lot that going in our house in 4 weeks or less.  It's Ash, which reportedly burns very well and leaves little 'ash'.  Here in Hampshire, where we're closer to France than we are to most of the UK, the weather's generally very mild.  A week of -1 or so and everyone complains of a new Ice-age!!

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #144 on: September 29, 2013, 06:28:47 PM »
Log stores are  bit too flash for the fringes of civilisation.