Author Topic: Clever gang tooling. =)  (Read 10515 times)

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
Clever gang tooling. =)
« on: August 23, 2013, 03:45:08 PM »
Clever gang tooling on a manual machine?

Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline sparky961

Re: Clever gang tooling. =)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 03:53:25 PM »
It works even better when you have "hobby CNC" and no tool changer.  I've set up 3 ganged tools like this - a small drill, large drill, and small boring bar.  I ran maybe 100 or more parts like that in mini production run style.

For anyone thinking about trying this, I'd suggest making up a plate that indexes to the machine.  Then have stations set up on that plate with known offsets between them.  This should make setup and future changes much easier.

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 04:40:28 PM »
Very clever stuff, thanks for posting it!  Looks like he added on to the end of his toolbar for the chamfering tool holder.  Man, I envy the size of that carriage.  Lotsa real estate for tools!  I'm working on a gang tool setup for my little CNC ORAC and it's pretty tight.

Shame the lathe isn't CNC converted.  As Sparky said, all those tool offsets could be loaded into Mach or LinuxCNC and a little code massaging would have those bushings piling up in no time!
Milton in Tennesee

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 05:03:56 PM »
If he carries on clearing the swarf with his bare hands while the machine is spinning he's going to have problems turning the dials when he loses his fingers. Definitely a no no in my book.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline BronxFigs

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 08:33:30 AM »
Do you think he was cutting metal, or, plastic?  The swarf looked like wax.  From the video, I couldn't tell.

I like.

Frank

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 09:43:46 AM »
Do you think he was cutting metal, or, plastic?  The swarf looked like wax.  From the video, I couldn't tell.

I like.

Frank

The upper left corner of the video says it all!

Joe

Offline BronxFigs

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 01:03:02 PM »
Thanks Joe...

Just clicked and watched the video.  Never read the caption. 

How embarrassing!

Frank

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 09:34:45 PM »
Kinda interesting holding a 3 jaw chuck in a 4 jaw chuck. Guess you could use any 3 jaw without a backplate from any lathe or manufacturer, and also compensate for 3 jaw out of true as long as the jaws held axial.

If doing a number of parts the same, as he is, you could be pretty sure that the 3 jaw ran true every time.

Changing a part size might just mean readjusting the 4 jaw a little to suit if the 3 jaw error wasn't consistent along the scroll. Then you're back to true.

Smart..... :thumbup:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline mechman48

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 08:12:23 AM »
Ditto Awemason..

Baaad practice!  :hammer: I bet he wouldn't be doing that with aluminium or any other material so why do it at all; lucky he still has fingers   :wack:

George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 11:42:17 PM »
Why didn't he have the turning tool and the boring bar set up at the correct distance and with a dti or stop to put him on the mark without all the measurement?

Jim

Offline beeshed

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 09:20:32 AM »
So that's what a 4 way tool post if for.  :doh: Silly me I've been rotating the thing all these years with 4 tools set up when I could have just left it alone and used 3.