Author Topic: New Toy...  (Read 10277 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
New Toy...
« on: March 15, 2009, 06:55:08 PM »
Some of you no doubt have followed by woes regarding my milling machine. Broken cutters, snapped drill bits etc, etc, not to mention poor machining results.

It was so bad I preferred to mill on the lathe as that gave me good results even if the scope of what could be done was somewhat limited with the tooling I have. No vertical slide and limited travel being the greatest limitations.

So when another small mill was being offered locally I decided to take the plunge. Besides, the price was not one that you could easily pass by even if a new miller wasn't wanted.
We spoke over the phone and a price was agreed. Eagerly I drove over to see it.

Oh what a disappointment. It looked in a terrible state and all rusted up. However, it operated really smoothly and upon closer inspection I began to realise the rust was not rust at all. Well, the top surface wasn't, so I took a chance and bought it.

That was yesterday, today I was hampered with plasterboarding walls and concreting the final part of my new garage footings.
But I really wanted to play with the new toy, well you would wouldn't you.

So, even though I was tired after today's workload, I decided to have a go at cleaning up the miller.
I was right, not only was it covered in rust coloured dried and very hard grease, it appeared to be the original shipping grease... :bugeye:
The last, first, owner had never cleaned it off. No wonder he didn't play with it much and lost interest as it wasn't even sliding properly on the bedways. But between hard, solid dried grease...!!

So after spending several hours with copious amounts of white spirit and enough kitchen towel to last several months I found this underneath all the grime. Oh the grime, the machine I bought was almost black all over.

Not bad eh?

A quick go at some machining and for the very first time I'm chuffed with the results.

This picture doesn't do it justice, the machine marks feel very smooth indeed.

I need to strip the castings and clean the bedways properly and it all seems a little slack now so the gibs need adjusting properly as well. Was all gummed up with grease before I guess. Also I managed to loose one of the pillar bolts during the move, so it's a little suspect on redigity in the pillar. A metric mill held together with imperial bolts it seems. Might be a job to find one locally not being metric, where does one find a 1/2" x 2" machine bolt these days?
As you can see, it's in very good condition all over.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 07:00:59 PM by Darren »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Re: New Toy...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 07:15:54 PM »
Ahha the old round column mill drill that everyone tells you is crap and you really need a dovetail column mill.

however I bought one of these when they first came out, well before the dovetail machines, and this puppy earned me some serious coin making laser mirror mounting blocks.

Used correctly they are a nice machine.

You are looking for a 1/2" Whitworth bolt BTW.

JS.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 08:25:46 PM »
Yes, the swiveling head took me by surprise when I loosened the height adjustment bolt. My other similar round column miller doesn't budge in this regard.
Anyway, it does not seem to affect the rigidity when clamped up. just don't adjust the height when work has started, or you will loose your reference points.

Why would you want a head to swivel?

BTW, 1/2" Whit not even on Ebay  :(
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Mjay

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 09:03:49 PM »
I have a mill/ drill similiar to yours. They work good for home/hobby use. The head swivels for more swing??, never used that feature, and try to keep it locked in one location

Mine is 220v 2hp. R8 shank.

This one is made with all metric bolts

Link to the one I bought

http://www.houseoftools.com/product.htm?pid=12737   

Here is alink to a good owners manual

http://www.grizzly.com/images/manuals/g3358_m.pdf

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 04:10:34 AM »
Darren

Nice buy that looks a good bit of kit, :thumbup:

I'll have a look to see if I've got an 1/2 whit die I've got all sorts of odd dies that I've inherited from people.

Cheers

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 04:41:29 AM »
What length bolt Darren?

Yours has the easy adjust for the column. By using shims in the joint where you have lost the bolt, you can tram in the head in both directions, and once done, it should never move.

As I told you in my email, one of those mills was the main workhorse of my workshop for over 15 years, and it only went when I had my new mill. If looked after, and you can get used to the quirky ways of operation, they are bombproof.

John

Offline Bourne Bill

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 06:19:16 AM »
Micro-Machine Shop
 This site has some good tips for the round column mill. I have the Jet, and have good luck with it for about 10 years.
Life is short, eat dessert first...........

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 10:25:49 AM »
Here's the missing/lost bolt.

1/2", 12tpi, 2" long not inc head.

Head size 19mm or 3/4"

Unthreaded 0.72" threaded 1.25

I've had a look around the net, not easy to find in the UK are they. Only found by the 100 so far.

bogstandard

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 03:45:14 PM »
Darren,

Had a look thru my scavenge box, but could only find one with 1.5" of thread under the head.

But I did find a longer 1/2" BSF bolt, that if Stew has a die, could very quickly be modified to what you need, and sent on it's way.

I would single point it, but as yet, I have to try my machine out to see how accurate the imperial threads are, and I am not up to doing that much at the moment.

John

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 04:26:07 PM »
Darren,
Shoot me a snail mail address and I'll put you a couple in the post.
john [ at ] stevenson-engineers.co.uk

.JS
John Stevenson

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 05:00:40 PM »
Darren

I've got a die so that another option we can use to sort you out.

Cheers

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

bogstandard

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 05:59:44 PM »
Well done John :clap: :clap:

Looks like another customer sorted

:ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 06:22:35 PM »
Well thank you everyone for all the generosity.  After spending more time trying to find a supplier on the magic box this afternoon it seems the box ain't so magic after all.... :bang:
I wouldn't have thought a simple half inch bolt would have been so difficult to find.

The results so far have been large quantities or just too short. I couldn't even find a die on ebay, but I have no doubt the usual tool suppliers could help there.
I'd rather have a proper high tensile steel bolt due to where it's going. So on that score I'd like to take up John S's very kind offer.

I'll send a PM with the necessaries in a mo.. :thumbup:

Thanks John, you know it'll go to a good home  :)

How I lost one is beyond me? I had four when I left the sellers place, but only had three by the time I got home  :doh:

bogstandard

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 07:12:57 PM »
Remember this, that bolt is forever gone. The scroungers are everywhere. :lol:

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=894.msg6120#msg6120

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 07:44:29 PM »
You kept that trip very quiet John...... :ddb:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 03:03:39 AM »
Remember this, that bolt is forever gone. The scroungers are everywhere. :lol:

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=894.msg6120#msg6120

:lol: :lol: :lol:    :clap:
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 08:49:54 AM »
John S,

Bolt arrived this morning, looks perfect. I shall fit it later and then I can get on with tramming and stuff....... :ddb:
Many thanks for sending it, really appreciated  :thumbup:

Bogs, a quick question, with your old miller did the tramming alter when you changed height settings. Or did it behave and stay true?

bogstandard

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 06:12:51 AM »
Darren,

I didn't alter the tram on mine because it was so close, it didn't need it. When I checked it, it was only about a thou out over a 6" split in the X axis, the Y was perfect, so I left that on, as it gave a wonderful superfine back cut when fly cutting right to left in the X axis, and the Y axis cuts were well within expected tolerances even though it was slightly out in the X.

If the column is straight and true, and you shim it up to give a perfect tram in both directions, then there is no reason for it ever to go out of tram.

What I would suggest is carry out your tram and adjustment, give it a little time to settle in, say a week or so, then recheck, just to see if it is remaining stable after a bit of use. Mine never altered all the time I had it.

If it takes a few hours to do, then do it to the best of your ability. This is an important part of getting your machine running correctly. Don't take the 'that will do attitude with it'. Time spent getting it right will be repaid many times over in accurate results from your machine.

Because I expect you to only be doing very minor adjustments, even that brass shim I gave you might be too thick. You should really use shim steel for doing the job, but if you only need very thin shimming, the average cooking foil is only 0.001" (0.02mm) thick, and that hasn't got much compression in it at that thickness, so would be fine.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 06:36:42 AM »
Thanks John, that settles my mind somewhat as I had visions of the tramming going off when the head height was adjusted.

I don't think it can be far out as I tried a bit of flycutting and it did a light back cut that seemed quite neat.
Also the QCTP I made is perfectly sq on all sides, mind you that could be the shaper except I didn't cut every side with the shaper.
All the same I got a surprise when I put a square to it.

I will get to the tramming shortly. But it will have to be the bent bar method for me.... :(

bogstandard

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 06:44:38 AM »
Darren,

The bent bar method is all you will ever require with this mill, just for initial set up.

You only go for a tramming tool when you have an articulated head or column that gets changed occassionally, and as you know, yours is fixed.

Best of luck with your straightening exercise.

John