Author Topic: get a grip  (Read 5647 times)

Offline krv3000

get a grip
« on: October 09, 2013, 03:58:35 PM »
hi all this is just a tip many of us have battery driven drills the one thing that annoys me the most is the chuck as having not so much grip in me right hand its hard to get the Chuck tite well get a toothed belt the one I'm gowning to use is from a old printer cut it to length to fit the back of the chuck once the right length glue the belt on and the jobs dun can titen the chuck right up right pics

Offline Sid_Vicious

Re: get a grip
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 05:11:20 PM »
Neat idea, I like it.
Nothing is impossible, it just take more time to figure out.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 05:31:12 PM »
 Good idea Bob , looks neat too , top marks  :thumbup:
 Cheers Mick

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 06:05:10 PM »
Excellent! And I imagine the same thing could be done with other items that need more grip, too. Thanks to the master recycler!  :bow:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline krv3000

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 04:51:07 PM »
hi well i did the same to the lathe handels not so much for grip but mor as a safty fecher as the crome plating was cuming off it cut like a razer blade see pic 

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 06:38:02 PM »
That reminds me. I once had need of a very large gear to mesh with a toothed belt, and didn't have a dividing head to make one.

I just turned an aluminum blank to a tight fit with a toothed belt turned inside out. A small amount of adhesive (though the friction fit was more than sufficient) and I had my "gear". Another toothed belt meshed with it perfectly. This was driven by a small purchased belt gear mounted on a stepper motor. It was part of an auto-sampler I built for a Cary spectrophotometer.
Steve

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 06:56:02 PM »
That reminds me. I once had need of a very large gear to mesh with a toothed belt, and didn't have a dividing head to make one.

I just turned an aluminum blank to a tight fit with a toothed belt turned inside out. A small amount of adhesive (though the friction fit was more than sufficient) and I had my "gear". Another toothed belt meshed with it perfectly. This was driven by a small purchased belt gear mounted on a stepper motor. It was part of an auto-sampler I built for a Cary spectrophotometer.

Steve

That is a super idea. I can see all kinds of possibilities with that idea. I have seen a variation of it used as a rack and pinion on CNC router tables being built on the CNC forum. Built and adjusted properly there would be no backlash.  :thumbup:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 08:07:19 PM »
It worked very well. I had that ring mounted on an aluminum plate mounted on two drawer slides. That was also driven by a stepper. So I had a linear and a rotary translation. A plate of optical filters under test was placed on top of the rotary ring and a light source on top was triggered when the table translated to each filter position. It was very simple. And very cheap. I built it in 2 weeks. I used turbocnc to drive it, using G code as a program to drive the sampler. That ran off a dumpster computer with a bad hard drive. I ran the whole thing off a floppy.

This amazed the company that had just hired me. They expected to spend $20K and several months to develop this -- they had a backlog of filter orders, and this automated testing to help them catch up. I think that with the controller (hobbyCNC kit) the total materials cost was about $250.

They made me engineering manager after that. A mistake I later had to correct.
Steve