Author Topic: Truing up a grinding wheel with a diamond tilesaw blade.  (Read 4525 times)

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
Truing up a grinding wheel with a diamond tilesaw blade.
« on: November 10, 2013, 11:41:42 AM »
I got this grinder at the same time I got my lathe a few years ago. It's not a very good one but it's adequate. The wheels haven't been dressed once since I bought it.

I kind of wish I took before and after shots from an angle that really showed just how ugly the grinding wheel had gotten, but it didn't occur to me until after i'd already trued it.

It's slided back and forth. Only one diamond in the blade was sticking out enough to touch the grinding wheel.

I was so surprised by how well it worked after doing the left wheel I figured it'd be worth showing. If I ever get around to making that better tool rest I might even make a little holder for it, to keep it square to the table.

I'd also like to note that this was done outdoors with a respirator and face shield on. I was trying to true it up a couple days ago indoors with the stubs from old angle grinder wheels, and thought I did a good job holding my breath until my nasal passageways started to hurt. It also keeps the dust offa the machines.

Offline Pete.

Re: Truing up a grinding wheel with a diamond tilesaw blade.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 01:15:02 PM »
Good stuff - I've been doing that for years using diamond core drill segments, of which I have an unlimited supply from work. I braze them to the end of a piece of flat bar. The tile saw blade will have very fine diamonds in it compared to the drill segment and might be a little slower but will give a nice finish to the wheel.

You're right, it does kick up a heck of a lot of dust.

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
Re: Truing up a grinding wheel with a diamond tilesaw blade.
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 12:14:38 PM »
Hi all,

I've used diamond embedded tips to make profiles on abrasive wheels for lathe tools where I want a raised curved section.  The only problem I've come across is when you want to grind another different profile and then need to sharpen the old one.

Best Regards:
                     Baron.
Best Regards:
                     Baron