Author Topic: Suggestions Box  (Read 6944 times)

Offline micktoon

Suggestions Box
« on: November 11, 2013, 06:08:37 PM »
Evening All , I have be giving an old box a new purpose , I have had this old box off some bit of medical equipment for years but no real use for it. The woodturning club I go to needed a suggestions box for members to leave feedback and ideas about the running of the club, so I thought I would adapt the box.

This is the box  as it was

Stripped down , then sanded

There were a few holes that needed filled two small ones in the bottom seen in the middle here, I drilled 4 corner shallow holes to stick the rubber feet that are in sheet form resting on the box, these normally just come off unless set into a shallow recess

I have the lathe and collet chuck so got a bit of similar wood and turned it down into a dowel with a slight taper to each end , this was sawn in half and glued into the holes.

There was also a bigger nasty hole in the back, this was a random rough sided irregular thing so I got a suitable sized washer and drew around the hole and used the same washer to also draw a matching circle in a bit of similar scrap wood, I then filed the hole true and round and did the same to the scrap. The plug was then glued in with the grain running the same way, trimmed down and sanded , the colour match was not perfect but ok for what it is and I was on a dead line as the club was on that night too.

The strap was knackered so a new leather one made

I cut a hole in the lid and rounded it off using the router and guides, you can see the hole that was plugged in the back ground

The box was then stained with spirit stain, a coat or two of laquer 

A light buff with fine wire wool , waxed and the hardware put back on.

I then printed a label on the computer and laminated it , attached it with double sided sticky tape and the jobs a good un !

Cheers Mick

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: Suggestions Box
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 06:26:30 PM »
Nice job Mick!

Offline jb3cx

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 07:16:32 PM »
Nice job micky ,that box would of been just right to keep my r 8 collets in :)
Peter

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 12:56:27 AM »
Great job. Your saw dust n shavings club should be well pleased with their new suggestion box.  :)
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 04:03:28 AM »
First suggestion: screw the box down - it's too pretty to stay in one place for long  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 04:37:34 AM »
VERY nicely re-furbished, Mick!  :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline RussellT

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 06:41:00 AM »
That's very nicely done, especially as you were on a deadline. :clap:

How many suggestions are you expecting? :bugeye:

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 11:52:35 AM »
Thanks for the comments lads  :thumbup: ,  Peter , that box is far too good for you oily old collets , anyway they would scream if you took them out that proper tooling cabinet they live in  :drool:
  The box will only be coming out a locked cupboard on club meeting nights so hopefully wont go walkies lol
  As for how many suggestions am I expecting ............ Good question , hopefully a decent amount as the idea of it is just for members to mention anything and everything really, rather than not be happy about things or have ideas but not mention them in front of a room full of people, this way people can have their say and put their name to it or just put something in with no name to it if it might be something that needs said that maybe another member might not like lol.
  Anyway we will see how it goes ................... When I suggested a suggestions box the chairman , suggested I made one  :clap:

Cheers Mick

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 12:25:52 PM »
".................. When I suggested a suggestions box the chairman , suggested I made one  :clap: "

Classic management ploy for dealing with trouble makers - I've used it myself  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 02:27:12 PM »
".................. When I suggested a suggestions box the chairman , suggested I made one  :clap: "

Classic management ploy for dealing with trouble makers - I've used it myself  :lol:

:offtopic:

That reminds me of the story about the bloke in a hot air balloon who got lost .....   :D   :D   :D   
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline krv3000

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 05:18:59 PM »
well dun mick

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 03:46:38 AM »

Well Modded, but expected a bit of carving.

Cheers David