Author Topic: homemade contraptions!  (Read 28604 times)

Offline ieezitin

Re: homemade contraptions!
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2014, 05:20:23 PM »
Hello..

I watched all the vids on the ball turner.. I like your idea and thought you made a very rigid unit I like it and strangely enough I have all the material to make one myself.

Could you explain a little more why you were acorning, and was the mandrel sticking out of the chuck too far causing it to lift and chatter.

All the best..

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Bishop

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2014, 01:40:28 AM »
Nice video Skyrocket but I have to ask. When you reach to turn the camera off between shot you let out a deep sigh or you might even call it a groan, made me smile and I found myself waiting for them.

Cheers
Shawn

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2014, 10:47:26 PM »
Skyrocket great ideas however I am baffled as to why you didn't make your own spring??? for the tapper following steady??

I have not done it myself but seen a mate make one for me prior getting a lathe.

I know we all think of these things after the fact, still now you have a wide selection of springs to make more stuff with.

Ray

Offline Skyrocket

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2014, 02:11:37 PM »
Hello..

I watched all the vids on the ball turner.. I like your idea and thought you made a very rigid unit I like it and strangely enough I have all the material to make one myself.

Could you explain a little more why you were acorning, and was the mandrel sticking out of the chuck too far causing it to lift and chatter.

All the best..

Anthony.

Hello Anthony ,  the acorning was caused by me not setting up the device in the correct position , luckily there was lots of help on the comments section below the video on YouTube with people with more experience of these matters putting me in the right direction,check them out
Re the chattering I didn't get to the bottom of it, I couldn't get it to cut brass on the rear cut, but it was fine on steel,
I made the device for a sculpture I'm making at the mo, overall I'm happy with it but it's limited to balls 30mm max lol which was fine for the project
" always buy the whole box!"

my videos !
https://www.youtube.com/user/skyrocketpuke/featured

Offline Skyrocket

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2014, 02:14:00 PM »
Nice video Skyrocket but I have to ask. When you reach to turn the camera off between shot you let out a deep sigh or you might even call it a groan, made me smile and I found myself waiting for them.

Cheers
Shawn
Ha ha thanks shawn, it's a standard feature of all my videos, not forgetting the " hello and welcome back" intro on all my videos,, regards Chris

my videos !

Offline Skyrocket

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2014, 02:16:32 PM »
Skyrocket great ideas however I am baffled as to why you didn't make your own spring??? for the tapper following steady??

I have not done it myself but seen a mate make one for me prior getting a lathe.

I know we all think of these things after the fact, still now you have a wide selection of springs to make more stuff with.

Ray

Hello Ray, I've never made one myself but it's a good point  it looks like a handy skill to have
Regards Chris

my videos !

Offline mechman48

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2014, 08:56:30 AM »
Like your version of the ball turner   :thumbup:  . Going back to your vee block; I noticed that you were using a MMA welder, I assume it was one that you plugged into a 13 amp socket; what amps were you pulling & what size rod used, did you have a separate circuit installed?.  last time I did a bit of welding I used a 1.6 rod & was set at approx 95-100 amps, but that was a long time ago & I'm concerned about using the house mains through a 13 amp plug (it must be my age making me a bit over cautious now   :palm:  )

Cheers
George.
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2014, 09:56:42 AM »
Get an inverter mma welder if you are concerned re: current draw. Their inrush current is far less than a buzz box transformer type.

I have one that you can pick up with one finger, but also run a 3.2 mm electrode on the end on a long 13a extension lead. Excellent for things I cannot drag into the workshop. It also starts rods such as 7018's so much more easily.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mechman48

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2014, 11:15:34 AM »
Hi Andrew  :wave:

Thanks for the tip re inverter mma; would appreciate model & make you have & do Machine Mart stock them?

TIA
George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2014, 12:35:44 PM »
Mine is a Cebora, and I got it at my usual tool shop - ebay  :ddb:

Not sure if this is the exact model but very similar:

http://www.wecs-ltd.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=149&category_id=50&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26&vmcchk=1
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mechman48

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2014, 02:42:04 AM »
Thanks Andrew

Hmmmm, nice, but for what I do, & on my pensioners income I can't justify the cost...  :jaw: 

George
George.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2014, 03:19:02 AM »
Yes expensive new, hence getting mine s/h on ebay - I think I paid about £60, certainly less than £100
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Skyrocket

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2014, 02:21:29 PM »
hello everybody hope your all well, today I made a knurler, from bits and bobs of metal hanging around the shop :dremel:

my videos !

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2014, 06:29:31 AM »

Hi Sky, like your knurler, seems to work very well, and designed around bits and bobs you had available. Nice video.

Well done  David