Author Topic: Is it possible to purchase a good metal lathe for between £300 and £400?  (Read 13370 times)

Offline Paddington

Hey folks,

I have read through the forums trying to find out about lathes; however, I feel I'm none the wiser.

My question is simply: Is it possible to purchase a good metal lathe for between £300 and £400? If so, can you point me in the right direction?

Cheers folks,
Paddington.

Offline Twinsquirrel

• never rub another mans rhubarb
Hi Paddington,

Depends on what you call a "good" metal lathe, I have a chinese 7 x 12/14 lathe which I bought new for less than £300, I am very happy with it and have been able to produce work which I am quite proud of. Or if you want to go a higher quality route you need to search out the bargains on ebay and the like but I think you may be hunting for a long while. Some of the older and  larger 3 phase stuff goes for around your budget but you would need to factor in either a single phase motor replacment or a good quality VFD which would be at least £200 on top.

I prodiced an LTD stirling engine on my cheapo chinese machine as my first project, LTD's require a good deal of accuracy for the power piston and cylinder and my lathe coped admirably. Here's a gratuitous pic (I know pride is a sin) :D

David
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 02:57:10 PM by Twinsquirrel »
So many ideas, so little skill

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
David,

I've got a bone to pic with you  :poke:

How come it's taken you this long to show us this masterpiece, it's blooming gorgeous mate  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Paddington,
You need to narrow down the question a little, what sort of lathe, how big/small do you think you need, what do you hope to do with it?

Give us something to go on and I'm sure the advice will flood in for you... :thumbup:

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Twinsquirrel

Darren,

Wheres that bushel, I think I've left my light under it :D

Thanks for the comments though

David

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Paddington

The Chines kit on the market is good value for money especialy as now they seem to be sorting out the quality issues. I started off with a Chines made 3 in 1 from Chester, though having experienced a 3 in 1 I wouldn't recomend one far better to get a lathe followed by a mill  whatever you go for be prepared to budget extra for tools etc.

You'll never be stuck for ideas for Birthday/Christmas presents

Good Luck if you any questions ther's plenty of here to give you advice.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
I'll add my input as well. I've had rather good luck with the 7x12/14 lathe, but be careful not to shoot for the lowest pricing. Cheaper price almost always indicates the importer didn't shoot for quality.... only an attractive price range.

Steve

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Twinsquirrel

Snap! That's the same as mine..

David

Offline Paddington

Thanks for all the great advice folks,
To be completely honest I know nothing about lathes. I have no idea what makes a good lathe – what does it mean to say a lathe is more accurate? I guess that I would need a relatively small lathe as I don’t have much space; however, that’s as far as I go, Lol.

I’m really a pipe maker, but I want to have a crack at model engineering. The lathe would be used to turn stems for my pipes and get me started in model engineering. (Pipe stems are relatively hard plastic; therefore, wood lathes are usually unsuitable).

David, that’s a beautiful engine! I would certainly like some more information on the ‘cheap’ Chinese lathe.

Darren, I’m afraid it’s not. However, I will keep a look out on ebay! I’m always worried about buying machinery of ebay; I don’t know what I should look out for – makes it a risky business.

This forum is fantastic. I have asked similar questions on other forums; however, I usually end up with snide remarks. The level of input and encouragement here is really great. Especially if you don’t know anything about engineering or the tools involved!  :bow:

Thanks folks,
Paddington.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Hi Paddington,

This is my lathe, now over 4 years old, and I LOVE it!  :thumbup:

http://www.chesteruk.net/store/conquest_lathe.htm

It will do all you intend to do......  :headbang:

UNFORTUNATELY......... They`re out of stock.......  ::)

David.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 12:45:53 PM by Stilldrillin »
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Paddington

David, that's just cruel!  :poke:

ja2on

warco have imperial in stock http://www.warco.co.uk/Mini-Lathe-354285CE76.aspx

ARC EURO  have imperial with digital readouts in stock http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machines-Accessories/Lathes/Model-C3-Mini-Lathe

Chester have imperial super conquest in stock http://www.chesteruk.net/store/conquest_lathe_super.htm

A month ago when I wanted a mini lathe arc euro said they had stock coming in april

Offline Twinsquirrel

A good place to start when boning up on these small chinese machines is  http://www.mini-lathe.com/ It's a US based site but the machines are pretty much the same.

For me, you can't beat Amadeal for service, the owner, Hugh is not a machinist though so dont ask many technical questions but I really rate him as a person, buy from him and I'm sure he will look after you. Of course I have no affiliation with the company just a very satisfied customer.

He has 2 Mini-lathes in your price range, the CJ18 which is the same as mine and the AMA 180V which I think is a C4 (correct me someone if I am wrong) which looks like a really nice machine.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/harryuk123_Lathes_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ17360106QQftidZ2QQtZkm

David

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
That's where mine came from, really nice chap is Hugh... :thumbup:

ja2on

The AMA 180V is not a C4 as it is 7x12 the C4 is 8x17 and has powered cross feed

I also notice he has 7x14 mini lathes with 100mm chuck if I had not bought the C4 I would have gone for this

bogstandard

P,

To be completely honest I know nothing about lathes

Every person on here has been in your situation, so you are not alone. You are not born with the knowledge, so you must learn it on your journey to wherever you want to go.

I have asked similar questions on other forums; however, I usually end up with snide remarks.

I think you are in safe hands here, no hi fliers or holier than thou types with machine fetishes. Just a great bunch of chaps dedicated to helping each other out, with down to earth, common sense help.

Even your most simple and naive questions will be treated with respect. So just enjoy it and join in when you feel like it.

Also a little humour is compulsory at times

John

Offline reel jon

my personal experience means i would answer yes to your question, learning the basics of the machinists craft is what is required to get the best from the machine.

Offline jemglen

Underlining what other, more experienced machinists have already suggested, my 7x12 lathe came from Hugh at Amadeal (www.amadeal.co.uk) priced around £270 IIRC two years ago and I'm very happy with it. Though I've yet to make anything more substantial than studs for my BSA Winged Wheel, thumbscrews for the Myford and so on, it's inaccuracies seem on a par with (ie no worse than  ::)) other, more expensive 7x12 Chinese lathes (from Chester, Warco, Machine Mart and so on).

One thing I've noticed: second hand, these lathes fetch almost as much on Ebay as they do new.  :bugeye:

One other thing I've noticed: there are two distinct styles of cross slide, one is rectangular and the other H-shaped (the lathes sourced from Sieg and allied works). Each, presumably, has its merits but only the H-shaped cross slide will take the popular vertical slide as sold by Chester (Small Type 1 www.chesteruk.net/store/vertical_slides.htm) if you're planning on using the machine for milling.

An alternative, though, is the Warco vertical slide (www.warco.co.uk/Vertical-Slide-C53AACDF7A.aspx) which doesn't look as substantial but is a simple replacement for the topslide.

David: your engine is truly lovely  :clap:

Jerry
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 03:21:39 AM by jemglen »