Author Topic: Testing out the New Mill and DRO  (Read 6025 times)

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
Testing out the New Mill and DRO
« on: March 22, 2009, 05:43:51 PM »
Hi gang, I made this a few weeks ago to get a feel for how the new mill and dro were going to do.  I normally don't bother bluing however there have been times on a more complicated part I should have.

Any way here are some pics I took during the build.  I know these are cheap to buy but I enjoy making them and wanted to see how the accuracy and repeatablity of the DRO worked.

First step was to square the block of CRS up:

Next I cut the tool holder slot 5/8ths using a 4 flute 1/2" end mill.  I have an AXA set but I cut all my own holders to 5/8ths:

Next I laid on my bluing and scribed where I wanted the cuts and holes:

After cutting away most of the metal for the dovetail with a 3/4" roughing end mill I was ready to cut the dovetails in:

Testing for fit, was spot on the first time:

The set screw holes are now drilled and taped:

Almost done:

Here it is in the tool holder ready for a tool:

I like to have enough of these so that I can keep all my tooling set to the correct height and same z depth on all.  By having the same z depth I don't have to re-zero everytime I change a tool.  I can always come within .002 and that is close enough for most of what I do.  And if I have to adjust to get close I use an incremental setting.  Thus keeping my absolute the same all the time.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Testing out the New Mill and DRO
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 05:51:44 PM »

I like to have enough of these so that I can keep all my tooling set to the correct height and same z depth on all.  By having the same z depth I don't have to re-zero everytime I change a tool.  I can always come within .002 and that is close enough for most of what I do.  And if I have to adjust to get close I use an incremental setting.  Thus keeping my absolute the same all the time.

Now that's food for thought, thank you for adding that in I shall make good use of that info.. :thumbup:

Very nicely done and shown, thank you  :clap:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 06:08:48 PM »
Very nice indeed.

I know how you feel about tool holders, mine are breeding fast, but can never keep up with demand.

I notice you have a very similar lathe to mine, only my cross slide DRO head is mounted on the other side. I have the problem of having no cross slide lock due to it being covered by the read head, but I can see by having it on the way yours is, would limit me on swing size, as I use the face plate a fair amount.

John

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 06:24:53 PM »
Very nice indeed.

I know how you feel about tool holders, mine are breeding fast, but can never keep up with demand.

I notice you have a very similar lathe to mine, only my cross slide DRO head is mounted on the other side. I have the problem of having no cross slide lock due to it being covered by the read head, but I can see by having it on the way yours is, would limit me on swing size, as I use the face plate a fair amount.

John

Hi John thank you.
I mounted it on this side because of the lock being on the other side.  The shooting star dro I had on this was on the other side and I really missed not being able to lock the cross slide.  I haven't had a problem yet with clearance but I may some where along the line.

BTW this lathe was bought new 5 years ago and has served me well, I am sure yours will do the same.

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 06:26:56 PM »

Now that's food for thought, thank you for adding that in I shall make good use of that info.. :thumbup:

Very nicely done and shown, thank you  :clap:

Thanks Daren, I have to keep my shop time to a small amount for awhile so this fit the need.  I am glad I was able to pass this on.:)

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 06:36:05 PM »
I know it is going a bit off  :offtopic:, but I thought I would let you know that one of my next projects will be to fit a lock on the other side (where you have your DRO head), and it should be better than the original.

John

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 07:03:22 PM »
Knowing how well you design and document things I am looking forward to seeing your solution.  I can always change my set up.:)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 11:55:51 AM »
Nicely done Bob. I need to make a few more holders for mine. You make it look simply and snappy.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.