Author Topic: 2 x 72 Belt Sander project  (Read 9609 times)

Offline jmhoying

2 x 72 Belt Sander project
« on: January 23, 2014, 08:06:28 AM »
After seeing how handy a 2x72 grinder would be, I started rounding up parts and decided on a design. I'm not trying to re-invent anything here, but blending ideas from a lot of other models from websites and the many you can find on YouTube.

When looking at my very limited steel inventory, I found my father-in-laws old Class 4 (10,000 lbs) hitch receiver. I figure that will be strong enough to hold the sanding arm.

I built this last year before I owned a lathe, so I purchased the wheels on-line at a few different places.

Photo 003 is how I "engineered" the distances that I needed for the wheel spacing.

Photo 004 shows the flat platen support that I made from 1/2" aluminum.

Photo 006 shows the tracking mechanism for the upper wheel

Photo 007 shows the contact wheel which I bought from Grizzly.  It's what stays on the sander most of the time, as it's much more aggressive.

The motor rides in a vertical track and it's weight is what keeps the belt tensioned.  The small black foot pedal will raise the motor 1" to allow for belt speed changes.

This project turned out great and I can't see how I did without one of these for so many years!

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio

Offline jmhoying

Re: 2 x 72 Belt Sander project
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 08:14:55 AM »
A few YouTube videos of it in action.

Detail of switch and arm:

Tracking arm detail:

« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 02:55:37 PM by jmhoying »

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 10:08:56 AM »
Hi Jim
           Very  resourceful use of the units available to you, and a fine job especially when you have no lathe.  It looks to be a versatile and user friendly machine.
                                                                Well Done
                                                                                     David

Offline mfletch

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 02:45:41 PM »
Good job looks a good machine thanks for sharing

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 05:19:07 PM »
 Thanks for sharing it with us Jack. A good looking well made  and very useful bit of kit :beer:
John

Offline micktoon

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 06:30:41 PM »
Hi Jack, you have make a cracking job of your grinder there  :drool: :drool: , good use of what you had to work with too, I have one of these on my very long to do list, thanks for posting as you seem to have found some simple ways of doing elements of the grinder.
 Cheers Mick.

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 11:46:07 PM »
Dang that's nice!  Love the angle adjustment.

Chuck