Author Topic: Locking up my cross slide  (Read 19682 times)

Offline kvom

Re: Locking up my cross slide
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 02:17:51 PM »
Neither of the lathes I have worked on seem to need a cross-slide lock.  When I am turning on the Monarch I can see that the Y DRO value never changes.  The same applies on the carriage, although it does have a lock there.  Do you need one since it's a lighter lathe or has more vibration?  It appears that there is a screw on the slide that need to be tightened when using the taper attachment, and it does seem to act as a lock as well.   The other lathe is at school and is a Harrison 14"

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 02:03:40 AM »
Is it just me, but it seems very few people seem to be doing much posting, just a small handful of regulars....don't be shy guys... :thumbup:

Not shy, just not much constructive to add.  Don't take the silence as lack of interest (at least on my part), but just being to busy to post much.

Also...... You regulars have already discussed & written everything there is to add....... Before I manage to get here!  ::)

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

bogstandard

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 04:25:30 AM »
There is nothing wrong about doing a posting about the same thing David, usually it is the subtle differences that are the major things.
Everyone has their own little way of doing things.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2009, 04:32:12 AM »
Yes, and then we can pick out the best bits/comments/ideas that suit our own individual needs/tooling  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2009, 01:34:43 PM »
So that's it, any questions before I start drilling?

Bogs

Just a quickie to show your post are useful. From your idea I did a similar to my own. Really hate drilling holes into the machine for a gizmo that may not work, the outcome and yours shows it is viable. Not enough room to add the little ball bearing and maintain a reasonable amount of thread for the screw but really not an issue. Did it, the screw and little brass bit, works like a champ. For this old metal toy anything that improves rigidity is a blessing.  Dum De Dum

You know my gib screws were pointed things . . .  I use the word "WERE" you know what happened after a few times of locking down the slide.

Robert
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 01:36:18 PM by foozer »
Ignorance is Bliss, thus I aim for Perfection

bogstandard

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2009, 01:55:36 PM »
Nice one Robert. I'm glad the technique worked for you.

Bogs