Author Topic: 6X4 Bandsaw Mod  (Read 18676 times)

Offline mfletch

6X4 Bandsaw Mod
« on: January 25, 2014, 06:16:13 AM »
Just got myself a 6X4 Bandsaw so looked how to improve it a little.

I know these bandsaws have been modded before but I've not seen this mod before so hope it helps others who like the mod.

When you need to load stock for cutting you have to hold the blade up and manually make it safe with the rear latch so decided to make this automatic making it much easier and safer, any way here's the pictures

Don't know what happened to the pics so I will try again

The latch is spring loaded so it engages the latch on lifting the arm up and all you do is push the rod to disengage the latch and if you don't want to use the latch it can be locked in the down position

Offline ieezitin

Re: 6X4 Bandsaw Mod
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 08:09:50 AM »
Fletch....

I like that. I agree with your sentiments on loading material now you have this delightful adjustable arm to help you.

Well done old boy........  Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 09:42:26 AM »
Nice work on a mod for this popular, and in my mind, vital shop tool :clap:

Cheers,
Phil

Offline Fredbare

• Fakenham, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 05:35:28 PM »
Haven't seen that one before, great job, thanks for sharing.

John

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 02:04:55 PM »
Last week I bought one of the Axminster Tools version of these 6" x 4" bandsaws for £ 180.00 secondhand.

I look forward to it being delivered some time this week and then I'll be going through all the usual mods to improve accuracy and performance.
Do any other forum members own or have experience with this model?

Link to the Axminster bandsaw below:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-mcb1155hd-swivel-head-metal-cutting-bandsaw

....OZ.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 10:06:08 PM by Manxmodder »
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline mfletch

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 01:11:58 AM »
Looks a good saw I like the idea of the saw moving for the angle cuts

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 06:30:35 AM »
Hi flech

This mod I have not seen before, very interesting.

Cheers David

Offline mfletch

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 01:36:13 PM »
Thanks David I've got another mod coming soon on the vertical table

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 08:06:26 PM »
The Axminster swivel head bandsaw arrived safely yesterday afternoon and as you say mfletch the swiveling head is really neat.

It cuts over 45 degs one way and over 60degs in the opposite position. The oil filled damper has great adustability and the castings are very robust indeed. There is a standard precision blade as fitted but I am going to order some bi-metal M42 HSS Cobalt blades as I believe they give far greater consistency and service life.

The chap I bought it from did a grand job of securing it on a small pallet using pieces of hardwood and 2 pence coins with holes drilled through as washers under the coach bolts.

The 2 bits of hard wood will be perfect for making file and scraper handles so all round I'm a very happy lad with my purchase...anyone got any advice on the best brand and types of blades available in the UK I'd like to hear your recommendations please.....OZ.

Offline mfletch

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 11:40:02 PM »
Good I'm glad it arrived safely I ordered some blades from here for a hand held bandsaw and they seem to be good blades http://tuffsaws.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_3

There not cheap though

Offline Mayhem

• purveyor of mischief
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 09:11:04 AM »
Probably better than just using my shoulder to hold the top frame up.  Best add it to the project list...

Offline superc

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 06:56:04 AM »
I like that.   :)

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 12:55:05 PM »
Good I'm glad it arrived safely I ordered some blades from here for a hand held bandsaw and they seem to be good blades http://tuffsaws.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_3

There not cheap though
mflethc,
Cheers for the Tuffsaws link,I've ordered a selection of the M42 Cobalt blades and I think the price was very reasonable compared to Axminster and other suppliers of similar spec blades.

By the way I checked the 2 drive and idler wheels on my saw for concentricity  of rim to bearing accuracy last night and the idler was running over 0.160"thou eccentric,and the drive wheel over0.090" thou eccentric to the centre bearing.  :Doh:

They've now been trued up by mounting on a mandrel and machining in the lathe. I really don't understand why the far eastern manufacturers frequently seem incapable of putting the hole in the centre of pulleys etc.....You may want to check your 2 wheels for accuracy ....OZ.

Offline mfletch

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 01:23:43 PM »
I already have and the top wheel is way out so that's the next job for the lathe if it will fit my little lathe; when the saw is running you can see its oval

the tracking on mine was way out it was set to its maximum tilt so I've adjusted that too

Thanks Fletch

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 01:52:34 PM »
Hi fletch, so it appears that this lack of concentricity may well be a common problem with these type of bandsaws and as such it would be worth the time taken for any other owners to run a check and correct if necessary. You can just imagine the uneven stresses this flaw is  imparting into the blade tension.and the bearings/drive train etc....Keep up the good work,I'm watching with interest  :thumbup: ....OZ.

Offline mfletch

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 02:30:20 PM »
Have you seen my 6x4 bandsaw mod 2 http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,9515.0.html

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 05:23:36 PM »
mfletch,
Yes I've seen the horizontal table mod,and very useful it is too.

I think it's a shame the 2 mods aren't linked or the second one posted as a continuation of the first thread then anyone looking for them in future finds all the info in one place......OZ.

Offline mfletch

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 06:54:39 AM »
Just skimmed the top wheel it was 0.23mm out that's a lot to say its already been machined 

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 09:53:56 AM »
Just skimmed the top wheel it was 0.23mm out that's a lot to say its already been machined
0.23mm=approx 0.010thou",that is precision compared to the run out that my wheels displayed,but the point is that for a sweet running saw they shouldn't be running eccentric at all.

If you look at the runout figures I was seeing and imagine the fluctuating stresses being transmitted through the blade as it stretches and contracts and consider the effect that would have on blade life and bearing wear it's horrendous  :jaw: .......OZ.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 09:53:20 PM »
mfletch,
Update from earlier post, I received my 3 cobalt bi-metal blades from Tuffsaws this afternoon so after an hour of reassembling the trued up drive and idler wheel and setting the guide rollers up accurately I tried some test cuts in 4" and 2" high grade round steel with the 10/14 and the 14/18 vari pitch blades and I'm very pleased with the results.

The 3rd blade I ordered is a 6/10 vari pitch but that one will be reserved for aluminium or wood cutting,also noted that the bi-metal blade stock Tuffsaws have used to make these blades is Starrett pro-die 1/2",so I have absolutely no doubts about the quality of the blades he produces  :clap:....OZ.

Offline mfletch

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 12:28:23 PM »
I'm glad your happy with the blades mine were Starrett too but had one snap on the weld so told Tuffsaws and he sent 3 replacement blades you cant get better service than that

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2014, 01:04:09 PM »
fletch, I just thought I'd share a simple little modification idea with you that I will be doing on my saw.

The hinged cover on the belt housing on my saw is clamped shut with a screw,so every time I want to change belt speed I have to completely remove the screw,which is a bit of a pain.

So what I am considering as a more convenient improvement is to abandon the screw idea altogether and fit one or two of the stretch type rubber bungee toggle closers to the hinged lid,or I may even make some myself from inner tube rubber....What do you think?.....OZ.

Offline mfletch

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2014, 01:11:59 PM »
Good idea OZ on mine its a little plastic wheel so you don't need a screw drive

Just thought of something else what would work I will see if I can attach a pic

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 01:59:06 PM »
Yeah, they look a viable option but the reason I plumped for a bungee type is I think there would be less chance of the lid making any annoying rattling noises due to the motor vibration.

I was also looking at these.....

Offline superc

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 04:33:35 PM »
LoL, After a few years of dealing with it, I just threw the screw away.  I found that the plastic cover doesn't vibrate at all.