Author Topic: car boot sale  (Read 121398 times)

Offline johnbaz

• My Flickr
Re: car boot sale
« Reply #225 on: December 12, 2016, 07:33:51 PM »
I've missed these posts  :whip: Glad you are finding bargains again   :thumbup: As for the Unimat ML that was a bargain they are abot 550 to buy new  :drool: You can even still get the CNC conversion kit for them  :drool: :drool:

Thanks Jon

I was really happy to get it but still haven't set it up myself yet!!  :doh:

John  :beer:

Offline Biggles

« Reply #226 on: December 13, 2016, 12:49:42 PM »
I’ve tried a few of my local boot sales south of London but found that the prices asked are not far from new items. They seem to be a lot of professional second hand tool businesses. No old ladies with their husbands junk!  :scratch:

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #227 on: December 13, 2016, 03:14:59 PM »
 That's cos we husbands don't have Junk only carefully collected and maintained "accessories", for what and when ever needed.

Best tip I was even given by saintly Uncle :bow: was when your work is admired by SWMBO make sure you point out " I couldn't have done it without my ....." picking whatever expensive tool you feel you can get away with up.  Then when another purchase is "necessary" less resistance is experienced as she remembers... :thumbup:

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #228 on: December 13, 2016, 04:38:07 PM »
Ray

I can match you for the chisels but Black wood and Red gum burr, I could cry :drool:

Still have my cookaburra burr to attack. Also some She oak I was given my mate  Guilio Marcolongo in 1999. Keep staring at it but haven't felt upto turning it yet.

Made me weep driving along the coast road past piles of irons wood burr for burning !

Mitre joints on the table frame ? Why not mortice it? Top overhang would have covered the joint.

Regards Ian

Ian then feast your eyes on the Huon Pine and tiny bit of Ebony I got recently  :D

Last weekend went to garage sale and later local markets
Tool box $20 the rest brought the total to $50 some woodworking some metal working.

The plane @$20 been told rare made in Liverpool UK and files @$2

Offline Biggles

« Reply #229 on: December 16, 2016, 01:58:30 PM »
Nice  :drool:

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #230 on: December 25, 2016, 06:07:57 PM »
It's Ok  Ray

just got me a 3ft long by 12 dia Yew trunk - well seasoned _FREE :drool: Eat your heart out!

Hope you have or have had a wonderful Christmas and SWMBO has been generous with your allowance :lol:

Can't believe its 10C here on Christmas day !!! :Doh:

Didn't get out to workshop ( apart from to put my new 6.5l ultrasonic cleaner ( pressie !) into workshop )

Mind you also got a heavy head cold so feeling a bit knackered.

Regards Ian
Have finally recommissioned myford so might get something done tomorrow but today , after all I've eaten, no chance :coffee:

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #231 on: January 01, 2017, 05:08:47 PM »
It's Ok  Ray

just got me a 3ft long by 12 dia Yew trunk - well seasoned _FREE :drool: Eat your heart out!

Hope you have or have had a wonderful Christmas and SWMBO has been generous with your allowance :lol:

Can't believe its 10C here on Christmas day !!! :Doh:

Didn't get out to workshop ( apart from to put my new 6.5l ultrasonic cleaner ( pressie !) into workshop )

Mind you also got a heavy head cold so feeling a bit knackered.

Regards Ian
Have finally recommissioned myford so might get something done tomorrow but today , after all I've eaten, no chance :coffee:

Happy New Year Ian to you and your and everyone else on here also.

Yew tree eh no chance of me matching that no Yew trees here LOL.
I did get some Camphor a while back and can get more where it came from I passed on whats in the ute at the time.
Recent storm brought down trees Jacaranda, Fig Gum just wish I had a chain saw and fit enough to use the damn thing.

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #232 on: January 01, 2017, 05:19:39 PM »
Happy New Year all

I'll start the year off shall I???? :D :D :D

Neighbour popped over the other morning (e's ex-BHP steel mill engineer and rail engineer) was going to pass on some tool steel didn't have any left so brought me these few things.

Roll emery paper
2x DTI's & mag stands
V-blocks
engineers rasps x3
1964 engineers little red book well used and his hand written note book of formula
scribe block
 white box has Loctite selection
just on right edge box of fine files ( I bought some recently $1)  :Doh: now a stack of file handles need to be made.

Ian local hardware store has a throw out pile FREE wood stash I picked up.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #233 on: January 01, 2017, 06:02:54 PM »
hi brill nice D.T.I's

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #234 on: January 03, 2017, 04:05:37 PM »
Ray

it's no good. You're going to have to forget about "the texas chainsaw massacre" and let her have a go  :whip: :whip: :whip:( under strict supervision of course :coffee:). What's the point in having SWMBO and no allowing her the occasional chainsaw time...  :med: :med: :med:

Nice  haul mate, pity about the uke load though

Have a good new year.

Friends daughter wants 20 bases for trophys plus 20 plaques making ( but I've been allowed 4 weeks to do em !) luckily lathes now up and running with a 2Hp inverter now ( I figure better overage capacity and certainly it's not dropped out when being pushed a bit like the last one ), so that's my immediate concern now.

All the best

Ian

Luckily got some ready planed 10mm Oak, well seasoned in stock so oak plaques and bases it is then  :clap:

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #235 on: February 11, 2017, 12:50:33 AM »
Ian you pulling my leg Oak in the UK. I can get that here LOL.

EDITED appologies should have read my previous post re neighbour.

Well its February a whole month and no ones posted any new goodies.

Mods if you have started a 2017 Car boot sale please move these posts.

A Costello used to say to Abbott "I've been a BAD BOY"  :D

Neighbour offered me his stash of tool steel just after new year he turned up in th driveway with a bag and some bit n pieces in arms.
Roll of Emery paper, 3 engineer rasps new never used, box of assorted files new never used (well most of them), box of Loctite assortment, two DTI mag stands Mitatoyo and Eclipse attached was a Mitatoyo  DTI to one and the other a Mercer finger type both have cleaned up exceptionally nice.
Set of V-blocks, engineers scribe post, his Engineers bible and hand written note book I was blown away to say the least. He was an ex-BHP fitter & turner and QLDR workshop engineer.

I had spotted an Stanley No45 router plane on another forum and Sue bought it me for Christmas. Restoration has begun a good soak in vinegar.

We went to two Swap Meets and I've done some buying through another forum, been sent a Care Package from a mate in Sydney of possible engineering supplies. Another mate sent me up his old Millers Falls wet/dry grinder.

Firstly Allora swap meet hosted in a small country town along with a vintage machinery show a good day out just an hours drive up the hill. By 2pm it was 38C.
Early in the day i spotted an additonal  packs of cutters for the above router, no price fellow had gone for a wander round. After lunch returned to find no one had snapped them up. Already de-rusted also. Picked up a Coach Makers Spider gauge.

I didn't buy this but if I had could have sold it 5 times over. Its a splicer for over head belts. $200.

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #236 on: February 11, 2017, 01:02:28 AM »
2nd Swap meet

Pair of Bonsai scissors ( have a few Bonsai)
An Akansass stone almost new
Stanley Spoke Shave
2 lathe dogs
2 Ball Pein hammers one with a handle one with out.
2 little guide attachements for another Stanley tool
Small mag base DTI stand
Bradawl
Long Stanley Yankee screw driver
No 78 Stanley rebate plane
Box of assorted taps n die and holders

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #237 on: February 11, 2017, 01:08:47 AM »
Two mates from Sydney sent up stuff with another mate whom we've had as a guest for a few days.

In the big box mate had stashed gear being thrown out at work
4kg of nuts bolts assortment.
A variety of Ally and steel, machine plastic and rubber
3 packs of new Stanley craft knife blades

Ian and two blocks of Blackwood and two of Red Gum

The other mate sent up his old Millers falls wet dry grinder.

Then in the post arrived from another mate Chillis the Red one is the Hottest Chilli in the world Caroliner Reaper LOML will be planting the seeds to grow her own.

Almost forgot yet another fellow I know had been to a swap meet out west and i bought off him parts for my Stanley Router plane.

Offline Biggles

« Reply #238 on: February 11, 2017, 05:38:34 AM »
Did a fire extinguisher come with the chilies?  :lol:

Offline Sackett

« Reply #239 on: February 17, 2017, 10:10:59 PM »
Ginger, BE VERY CAREFUL with the Carolina reaper,,,,it can blister the mucus lining in your mouth / throat,,,heads up. Last week at local flea,,,(car boot ) here in states, I got a Craftsman protractor, a Starret 6 in outside spring caliper, a starret small tap wrench , all for $11 US

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #240 on: March 04, 2017, 02:44:52 PM »
Ray et al

sorry been incommunicado.  October last my uncle and a guiding star to engineering / wood working died and we've been sorting out so busy! Finally finished off the spiral staircase he part built 25 years ago with cousins husband, I always promised him we'd get it finished when he gave the go ahead.

Ray Blackwood and red gum  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Just started cutting up some "pallet wood", very brittle and heavy, damn hard came from India with the marble for me mates barn conversion. Haven't a clue what it is but maybe able to make apples etc. Unless tool razor sharp it breaks out even on end grain :hammer: :hammer:

Currently finding space for partially finished 1 1/2 Alchin traction engine plus all casting for the same. Also inherited a George Thomas VDH and Potts drill grinding jig plus bags of small tooling.  I'd still rather have my guiding light though... But he left quickly and leaves fond memories.

Ian

Offline Pete.

« Reply #241 on: March 04, 2017, 05:06:02 PM »
The first big boot sale down here at Pedham Place is supposed to be tomorrow but the weather is looking bad so it's likely to get cancelled :(

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #242 on: March 04, 2017, 05:12:29 PM »
Used to go to that one regularly before I moved - many a 'bargain' carried home  :ddb:

Too far now  :med:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline krv3000

« Reply #243 on: March 04, 2017, 05:15:25 PM »
not bin to one the weather not bin that good 

Offline krv3000

« Reply #244 on: March 05, 2017, 05:57:00 PM »
hi all well went to my first one of the year got sum nice stuff first up a fowherd and revers switch £3 4 morce taper cutters £3 two drills 19.5 14 mm £1.50 3 cobolt cutters £4 and a fly cutter and tapered reamer  £3 right pics 

Offline micktoon

« Reply #245 on: March 05, 2017, 06:46:10 PM »
looks like you had a good day Bob  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Some nice stuff there and the price was right too  :drool: :drool:
  Cheers Mick

Offline Biggles

« Reply #246 on: March 07, 2017, 02:50:20 PM »
nice stuff there Bob.

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #247 on: April 13, 2017, 07:26:55 PM »
Hi all gee's I expected so much more posts since last on here what have you blokes been up to no bargains scored? No markets or garage sales? Its ok me either until yesterday that is. I'd organised to get this stuff some time ago but due to the seller and I not been close enough to transfer $$ and bits. He on his way through to Brisbane dropped them off yesterday.

Plate of Alloy possibly 6061 as its heavy as (he says hard to cut) 900x500x40, off cut of HDPV 35x200x900, 2 stainless 3031 rods 1"/25mm dia x 1.5, few HDPV caps, brass nuts and washers and sleeves.  :)

Now I just might have enough materials to get some metal projects started. I just need the time and bench finished to work on  :Doh:

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #248 on: April 26, 2017, 06:24:22 PM »
Ray

bit cold last sunday but 2 Wenge bowl blanks 6 x 2 and 8 x 2 for 6 QUID, plus a set of riffle files for wood and a 3/4 paring chisel blade ( Sheffield made and 12" long for fiver. Best of all a folding platform which cost me ten quid but been after one for ages. Oh and a mini hifi to replace the large one in the workshop. Last thing was a steel cardex file box to keep me milling cutters in for 2 quid. Not a bad haul.

Bloody freezing here today and my pear tree was just reaching peak blossom, so no pears this year again!

oh and I was given a large Elm butt last month , going to attack it with the McNaughton bowl corer I bought out in Aus when I work out how big I want to go with largest burr bowl. I will try and send photos of that as its a beaut!  :drool: :thumbup:

Just to rub it in I was also given a 24 x 4 x 18 block of Lime on Saturday morning :headbang: . Got a few plans for that as well.

Regards Ian

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #249 on: April 26, 2017, 11:00:23 PM »
Ray

bit cold last sunday but 2 Wenge bowl blanks 6 x 2 and 8 x 2 for 6 QUID, plus a set of riffle files for wood and a 3/4 paring chisel blade ( Sheffield made and 12" long for fiver. Best of all a folding platform which cost me ten quid but been after one for ages. Oh and a mini hifi to replace the large one in the workshop. Last thing was a steel cardex file box to keep me milling cutters in for 2 quid. Not a bad haul.

Bloody freezing here today and my pear tree was just reaching peak blossom, so no pears this year again!

oh and I was given a large Elm butt last month , going to attack it with the McNaughton bowl corer I bought out in Aus when I work out how big I want to go with largest burr bowl. I will try and send photos of that as its a beaut!  :drool: :thumbup:

Just to rub it in I was also given a 24 x 4 x 18 block of Lime on Saturday morning :headbang: . Got a few plans for that as well.

Regards Ian

:worthless:

I'd leave it at that Ian BUT as you mentioned cold and your coming into spring, its Autumn and 24C with a light breeze which has a nip to it, still sunshine blue clouds and I'm sharpening the wood bandsaw blade.

I to scored off another forum just arrived in the post 16 books for $50 all look well cared for just age.
Off to Malaney Wood show http://www.barunglandcare.org.au/malenywoodexpo this Saturday will have to see what I can pick up  :D