Author Topic: car boot sale  (Read 121176 times)

Offline Pete W.

Re: car boot sale
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 06:09:55 PM »
Hi there, Stuart and Ksor,

As you may know, Stanley make at least two different sizes of the Yankee Screwdriver (I can't remember the model numbers off-hand).

The bits aren't transferable from one size Yankee to another.  I have the largest model and still find it very useful for some jobs alongside my cordless electric screw-drivers.  I have several different sizes of bits for straight-slotted screw heads as well as both Philips and Pozidrive bits in various sizes.  You should be able to get extra bits from any good tool-supplier who stocks the Stanley range. 

Usual disclaimer - no connection with Stanley except as a satisfied user.  (Well, except that I'm most DISsatisfied that I can't buy Stanley Screwsinks any more!!!) 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline stig

• EXUP1000
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 07:31:36 PM »
I still have my large Yankee that I bought as an apprentice, way before the days of battery drivers etc. I have both slotted and pozi ends in various sizes. Its done some serious work in my early days on site and afterwards in the joiners shop

One thing to watch out for on a heavily used driver is the collar that holds the spiral in. Over time they wear excessively and only hold the spiral in by the skin of their teeth, one slight movement and it flys out without warning. Also because they dont stop in, folk get fed up of pushing them home all the time... so leave them extended when not in use...usually leads to the spiral getting bent slightly
Getting new-used tools to use to make tools to mend tools that you got to mend other ones surely counts as fair game

Offline joshagrady

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2014, 08:40:25 AM »
I've been looking for one for a while and this is the first i've seen that wasn't rusted solid or missing parts. It does work great for slotted screws but all the ones I use are posidrive. I was thinking of making some kind of adapter for standard hexagonal bits

Garrett Wade has them (Link).  Standard disclaimers apply, no relation, etc.  also, I have not purchased this product from them, instead, I have, and treasure an old Yankee drill that my father inherited from his father.   

Offline krv3000

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 04:11:34 PM »
hi well you can get difrent end to go in to the bottom of them type of scrudrivers you sud be abel to pull back the nurld sleev at the bottom witch lets you remove the blade ther is all typs of ends even drill and cawntersink ends to go in geting hard to find as the battery drill mad them redundent

Offline krv3000

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2014, 04:57:13 PM »
hi well bin bootsaling a gane and i got 3 remers a 7.9mm a 13mm a 9.3mm for £2 a tin of asembley grees for 50p a litel tin of 1/32 drills 20p a poket clock 50p and two files 50p pics 

Offline krv3000

« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2014, 06:46:35 PM »
hi all well bin to the boot sale on Sunday and got a countersink for £1 two D.T.I s for £ 1 etch

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2014, 06:51:27 PM »
Very nice Bob :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
That old "Starett" DTI looks nice  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
John

Offline krv3000

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2014, 08:03:59 PM »
hi all well this shod have bin posted last Sunday but was a tad biz so its getting posted gnaw i got a box full of goodies for £40 sum of the things in the box was just scrap but i got a height gage i will post a pic of that separate a 50 moor and right 50 to 75 micrometer in bits a 200 to 225 mutatoyo micrometer a 300 to 325 mutatoyo micrometer two Little tork handles a digital thermometer not in the pic sum mutatoyo slips two gages both are in the pic one i don't no nothing about the other i have red about this type of gage but this is the first one that i have cum a Cross basically its to test three flooted taps to See if their are in tolerance i will put sum pics of that on its own sum time right pics

Offline micktoon

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2014, 03:48:16 AM »
Looks like a good find Bob, it all looks good nick too unless you have already cleaned it up. I look forward to seeing the tap guage thing I have never seen one before.
  Cheers Mick.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2014, 05:55:04 PM »
hi well i whent to a stame show vesterday and got a boring bar for £2 then whent to a bootsale this morning and got sum bits and bobs a cumpes set £1 a mixt box of brake pip fitings and washer jets £1 a honing tool 50p a carbide bur and sum stones £1 and a  tube of loctite pip thred seler 50p  and a git lump of hex bar witch turnd out to be stanles  for 50p right pics

Offline micktoon

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2014, 06:21:52 PM »
Hi Bob , looks like you done well again , the stainless bar is a real bargain for 50p  :clap: I bet you wont be able to get to sleep tonight  as you will be lying there thinking of what to make out of it  :D

Cheers Mick

Offline krv3000

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 06:26:42 PM »
lol no will giv it to you to polish

Offline krv3000

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2014, 07:26:03 PM »
hi well a another good day at the boot sale i got all this of one sealer for the princely sum of £5 two tubs of chrome cleaner two peaces of tool steel one dated 1904 a pack of old type razor blades a more and right screwdriver set a staret scribe and English thickens gage and a USA made 100mm rule witch i will post More in fo on and a hammer for rob Wilson right pics

Offline chipenter

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2014, 04:29:53 PM »
There are very few engineering firms hear and boot sales have been usless , finaly found something but it wasn't wat I thought it was , it's an indexing microscope that I don't know what to do with .
Jeff

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2014, 05:28:13 PM »
Ideal for identifying thread pitches and other small measuring jobs
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2014, 10:38:53 PM »
You could make it into something else I suppose.  Put a centerpunch in place of the lenses and do indexed layout work?

Could make an interesting CNC engraver project with a Dremel and a couple of stepper motors.... or a printed circuit mill.

Or even a hand driven graver for making scales with a single point tool.

A solar woodburning Etch-A-Sketch?
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2014, 02:56:45 PM »

Found a monster square at the boot sale

A decent sized set square

John

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2014, 10:13:17 AM »

Hi John that square is a nice find, don't often see one that size, have you got a king size project in mind?

Cheers David

Offline Joules

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2014, 11:34:31 AM »
That'll be handy for a bit of watch making  :lol:
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2014, 02:15:23 PM »
Hi
Lads
Had a good day at the boot sales

All the above for a tenner
£10
John

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2014, 03:15:46 PM »
That's the North / South divide again working in your favour, down here they'd want £50 and moan about it  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2014, 04:44:04 PM »
That's the North / South divide again working in your favour, down here they'd want £50 and moan about it  :lol:

Don't worry, we get plenty of that up here too. Once had a lady insist on nothing less than £100 for one of those folded tin table saws (worth about £60 new, and even then it's a ripoff). Only wanted it for the motor...

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2014, 04:08:07 PM »
Hi
Lads
One boot sale today
Not much but the bacon sarnie was good

John

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2014, 05:08:04 PM »
Hi
Lads
Some boot sale bits & some borrowed big tools

John

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2014, 05:16:39 PM »
Holy Crap John,

Those are some big tools. What on earth are you going to do with them?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.